Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 04:10 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm Black and I've actually dealt with racism myself (in Georgia in particular. I was living in the suburbs).. And alot of Black people with money are going to settle in suburban areas, not the city proper. Birmingham and Montgomery are losing population.

Like I said, it depends. There are still places where people are crazy enough to fly Confederate flags.
RE: Confederate flag. I'm also an African American (woman though), but I've accepted the fact that there are pros and cons to diversity. It cuts both ways.

In a diverse area, yes there will be people who fly the Confederate flag, others will fly the rainbow flag, TRUMP flag, Black Lives Matter flag, and the red-black-green flag representing African-Americans. I've seen these different flags while driving in different parts of the country: Virginia, Massachusetts, Colorado, upstate New York, and rural parts of Texas and Louisiana but I don't stress over it.

Diversity means that not everyone will think alike. They won't all support the same issues or ideas. Since we live in a diverse country, not a homogenous one, we should expect to see things, at times, which we don't personally agree with. Nonetheless, those individuals have as much right to do what they're doing (as long as they're not breaking a law) as the people who think the same way we do. If it bothers you too much, find your tribe and stick to those areas. That way you'll (might) minimize seeing flags and icons that you disagree with or find hurtful and offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 04:26 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
No tough guy. I just don't have empathy for grown men "sorry". But I would stay away from people at work who talk politics you don't like and just get paid. Because at the end of the day "those people don't matter".
I agree with you for the most part. However, I do have empathy though for those of our community who haven't been able to break the mental and emotional chains from the big trauma we've experienced. Too many African Americans put way too much stock and emphasis on the words, thoughts, and actions of persons who "don't matter" when it comes to their lives outside of work.

Now if it's the owner of your company, your manager, supervisor, significant other, or friend, that's different because they impact your lives in varying degrees. But to live one's life taking to heart everything some random person says or does is both exhausting and unrealistic. Also, there's two sides to that coin because each of does or says something offensive or hurtful to the next person, from time to time, regardless of how unintentional. So it's easier just to accept it will happen at some point and keep it moving. It's the human way.

Old 07-20-2023, 04:57 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
At least it was not the 57's state.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:26 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
https://www.al.com/news/2023/07/alab...to-survey.html

Texas tops the list. So, if Texas takes the number one spot for worst state to live and work. Hey, I'm happy Alabama made the list. But the factors that give these states the top spot are a host of reasons that are tied to politics. I mean these rankings include reproductive rights and inclusiveness. LOL!!!! I think Alabamians should take this as a plus.
Title of the survey should be which blue state is best to live in according to the DNC platform.
Then it would be an accurate survey.

MSNBC sponsored survey is clearly bias. Please see this for what it is with bias. Same if it was a red state survey; just don’t live in a vacuum, which is that MSNBC is very biased towards democrat platform and blue states.

Last edited by johnsonkk; 07-20-2023 at 05:38 PM..

Old 07-21-2023, 05:49 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
From the article:

Quote:
It should be noted that Alabama routinely ranks high on economic development lists, such as in June when Area Development chose the state for a Silver Shovel Award, after a record-setting $10.1 billion in capital projects last year.

At the same time, Huntsville was ranked the second-best place to live in the United States, according to a U.S. News & World Report ranking that crowned the Rocket City as the best last year.
South Carolina is tied with Alabama, but people won't stop moving here because it's so bad.

Here is the link to the CNBC survey. AL is ranked #42.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:32 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,688,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Title of the survey should be which blue state is best to live in according to the DNC platform.
Then it would be an accurate survey.

MSNBC sponsored survey is clearly bias. Please see this for what it is with bias. Same if it was a red state survey; just don’t live in a vacuum, which is that MSNBC is very biased towards democrat platform and blue states.
Agreed. It's just a clickbait "survey" created by people on the Left to take some shots at areas that are more conservative and tend to vote for the GOP more often. If anyone takes that "survey" seriously, then you can take that as a sign that they are so politically-indoctrinated that they've lost their critical thinking skills.

Old 07-21-2023, 11:19 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
CNBC... ok now that's funny. They tried too hard.

this isn't a legit survey.

Old 07-21-2023, 01:50 PM

946 posts, read 774,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Agreed. It's just a clickbait "survey" created by people on the Left to take some shots at areas that are more conservative and tend to vote for the GOP more often. If anyone takes that "survey" seriously, then you can take that as a sign that they are so politically-indoctrinated that they've lost their critical thinking skills.
I would take it even a step further than that. It's there so that you will click on the link and then see advertisements to entice you to spend money. With the survey being nothing but a gimmick. Probably no basis whatsoever.

Old 07-22-2023, 02:29 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
https://www.al.com/news/2023/07/alab...to-survey.html

Texas tops the list. So, if Texas takes the number one spot for worst state to live and work. Hey, I'm happy Alabama made the list. But the factors that give these states the top spot are a host of reasons that are tied to politics. I mean these rankings include reproductive rights and inclusiveness. LOL!!!! I think Alabamians should take this as a plus.
From the questions they address the rankings with, this is the ranking for people on the Far Left. If you structured a poll full of questions that are hot buttons for the right wing, you would get a far different ranking. For my political perspective, Alabama's a great place to live and work.

I've worked about 5 months in Mobile on a 10-12 month work assignment and I like Mobile. If my grandsons weren't in Phoenix, we might live here.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:43 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
A southern man don’t need CNBC around anyhow.
You got that right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama