Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 09:05 AM

1,567 posts, read 2,807,576 times

Advertisements

Alrighty, the fun question of the next few months will be:

Who will be Auburn’s new head football coach? And, we’re off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 09:11 AM

10,508 posts, read 7,085,809 times
I'm thinking Cristobal.

I'm hoping it's not Hugh Freeze. Good Xs and Os kind of guy, but he's a pint-sized Bobby Petrino in terms of dubious behavior.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:15 AM

13,742 posts, read 8,044,783 times
I'm pretty confident it will be Hugh Freeze.

It was a mistake for Auburn to fire Tuberville, and it's a mistake for them to fire Malzahn.

I don't get why they seem to fire the guys with the best records against Alabama.

Malzahn going 3-5 against Alabama in the Saban era is quite impressive. Not sure who Auburn thinks they are...

Old 12-14-2020, 11:25 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,920,309 times
I was shocked! 21 million dollars it will cost to fire a good coach!
Auburn ought to be ashamed, some folks there are delusional with their expectations!

Old 12-14-2020, 12:13 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,420,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post

It was a mistake for Auburn to fire Tuberville, and it's a mistake for them to fire Malzahn.

I don't get why they seem to fire the guys with the best records against Alabama.

Malzahn going 3-5 against Alabama in the Saban era is quite impressive. Not sure who Auburn thinks they are...
It's not just Auburn. I have lived in Fayetteville, Arkansas and listened to the local sports talk radio there. I have lived in Pensacola, Florida and was able to listen to Alabama, Auburn AND Florida State sports talk radio.
Now I live 30 miles from Knoxville and listen to Tennessee sports talk radio.

It's all the same -- the fans think their team should be a perennial playoff contender and should beat up on their arch rival 90% of the time. They have very little patience.

It is probably the same in Austin, Happy Valley, Madison, Ann Arbor...........

Here's the deal: there are only so many top tier head coaches out there. There are only so many top tier quarterbacks/receivers/linebackers/running backs out there.
Not every University is willing to open the pursestrings (unless you are Texas A&M) and pour money into a football program to attract the best coaches and the best players and if you don't spend like a drunken sailor you become Nebraska. Unless you have a sugar daddy like Oklahoma State had Boone Pickens.

Personally I'd love to see Auburn get a really special coach but I sure do not know who the heck that will be.

rant over

Old 12-14-2020, 12:57 PM

657 posts, read 597,538 times
I sense an increase in tuition and student fees in my future...
Need for my son to hurry up and graduate before they kick in.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:09 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,473,133 times
Just when I think I've seen the peak of ridiculousness, here come the firings of coaches in the midst of the ransacked covid seasons featuring heavily reduced or no fan participation, game cancellations, players and coaches testing positive and/or opting out.....and these organizations/programs are still frothing at the mouth over wins and losses like nothing else is going on. All of these games have been basically nothing more than controlled scrimmages this year and it is beyond asinine to see these people being fired given the type of atmosphere/situations they were expected to do their jobs in. Now Auburn is gonna pay this guy $21 million to go and coach somewhere else? Who do they think they'll get that will do any better than he did? Hugh Freeze? Oh please! What has that guy ever won?? College and pro sports have completely lost touch with reality.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:30 PM

2,874 posts, read 2,072,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post

Coach Saban has never beaten an Auburn team with nine wins or more either. That goes back to his LSU days. He’s consistent from year-to-year.

Unfortunately, Malzahn wasn’t consistently winning from season-to-season. It was a huge mistake to lock him in several years ago even though I think he’s good for the players.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:24 AM

36 posts, read 23,759 times
Default Report: Auburn head coaching search has 'leading candidate'

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/au...andidate-2020/

Why not hire an exciting OC instead?

Old 12-19-2020, 08:40 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,004,859 times
Auburn is going to promote Kevin Steele. Neither Hugh Freeze, Mario Cristobal nor Lane Kiffin are taking that toxic job. There are many reasons for this.

They need to hire a good coach and get out of his way and let him recruit his way, and they could do just as well as Alabama. But they won't. This is the reason Malzahn failed. They spend too much time trying to beat Alabama one game per year, instead of building the best Auburn program they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: