Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times

Advertisements

It's important to remember that "cities" in the 3rd world aren't always well planned, or planned at all sometimes. In America only the educated and skilled move to cities while the poor people stay in the country. In Nigeria etc people just move to the city and hope something works out. Many end up in self made shanytowns devoid of running water or sewage.

Quality is much more important than quantity when you're talking about 3rd world cities. Don't assume Lagos has more to do than a smaller but more affluent city. Actually Lagos and Kinshasa may be the 2 worst cities in Africa. CTownnative may want to consider visiting another city in Africa like Nairobi etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 03:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,647 times
Go to World Cities Pics | LAGOS and there you will find lot of useful info about Lagos.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:04 PM

126 posts, read 252,713 times
I wouldnt recommend you to visit it, Lagos, Johannesburg, Kinsasha, and other big african cities can be very dangerous, even my hometown Cape Town i wouldn't recomend, let alone Lagos.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,360 times
Default Traveling to Nigeria for the first time

Hi everyone I am travelling to Nigeria for the first time and dont know what to expect. I am a south African male and have never even left my country. Atleast I`m going for business but I`m really scared everyone I talk to are telling me I`m not in my right mind to go any tips on what to do would be much appreciated.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 AM

242 posts, read 465,455 times
I really enjoyed my year in Nigeria, Cross River State between the towns of Uyo and Abak, ITT Nigeria Ltd, Telephone Outside Plant. The people were very friendly and welcoming, "Champion" is still on the top of my list of favorite Beers and I don't miss "Kai-Kai" a bit. I had friends in that region I would dearly love to go back to and visit and an additional piece or two of Ebony or Mahogany wood carvings from Ikot Ekpene would not be amiss.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 PM

242 posts, read 465,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swys6584 View Post
Hi everyone I am travelling to Nigeria for the first time and dont know what to expect. I am a south African male and have never even left my country. Atleast I`m going for business but I`m really scared everyone I talk to are telling me I`m not in my right mind to go any tips on what to do would be much appreciated.

I would put what ever the equivalent of U.S. $5.00 or a 5 Naira note on the inside of your shot card, another one inside your passport and another on top of whatever is in your carry-on. It will help you get through customs with a minimum of hassles.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:32 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreison Rhodes View Post
I would put what ever the equivalent of U.S. $5.00 or a 5 Naira note on the inside of your shot card, another one inside your passport and another on top of whatever is in your carry-on. It will help you get through customs with a minimum of hassles.
Could be more, especially if you are traveling through the country side. There are often stops where you will need to bribe people.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,348 times
Bump! I went to Lagos in March 2012. Looking forward to going again. I had a great time, hung out with some really cool people, etc. Lagos is one of those places you will love and hate at the same time. If you do go, you need to make sure you are well connected with someone there. No connections and you are "asking for it" if you know what I mean.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Its one huge mess. I understand there are people out there that actually love this mess called Lagos, but lets not kid ourselves. Love can't hide the fact that it is one huge mess.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,052 times
Hi, can you please tell me how I can check an address given to me in lagos is legitimate? I tried doing a Google Earth seach and it said that it doesn't exist.....
Thx in advance,
V
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa