Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,358 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody:

I see smilies on the right of the box I am typing in. I see smilies below it. I am told I can use the ones from the group below, but there doesn't seem to be any way to use the ones on the right. Can anyone explain?

Also I have been trying to make sense of the rep points. I understand that if someone likes your post they click on the scale and your rep points increase. Somewhere in this forum, I read that it gives you voting power. Voting for what? Sorry if you have already covered this, but there are 101 pages of posts in this forum.

Thanks,
Carole

Last edited by CaroleF; 02-26-2010 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: I thought there were only 15 pages here--101!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 03:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Arrow Title With "Post Icon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
Hi Everybody:

I see smilies on the right of the box I am typing in. I see smilies below it. I am told I can use the ones from the group below, but there doesn't seem to be any way to use the ones on the right. Can anyone explain?

Also I have been trying to make sense of the rep points. I understand that if someone likes your post they click on the scale and your rep points increase. Somewhere in this forum, I read that it gives you voting power. Voting for what? Sorry if you have already covered this, but there are 101 pages of posts in this forum.

Thanks,
Carole
As you are typing, click on a "Smiles" of your choice and it will appear in your text like in this sentence.

The "Post Icons" if available will appear in the title, like in the title I added.

Rep points get a bit confusing: It is discussed in this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/5...discussed.html

Rich

Old 02-26-2010, 03:24 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,535,447 times
Lightbulb Maybe this will help.

To use the smilies on the right, click on one where you want to insert it, here I'm going to do a thumbs up, so I click on that thumbs up icon and it shows up there, when your'e in 'go advanced' mode. The ones at the bottom are just for the title of your thread-or the caption of it.

Who told you rep points give you voting power? Probably the same people who tried to sell tickets to freshmen for the 'pool on the roof' back in high school.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Who told you rep points give you voting power? Probably the same people who tried to sell tickets to freshmen for the 'pool on the roof' back in high school.
This is what I was referring to:
06-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Administrator

2,446 posts, read 712,563 times
"Rep power" is a feature of our forum software, vBulletin. You're right, it's not well explained. Every time somebody clicks on the little scale icon next to your post and selects "I approve," your rep points increase. The more rep points you have, the more your vote counts.

"Junior Member" and other such titles are just based on your number of posts.
[+] Rate this post positively

See you on the roof Fuzzymystic

Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
This is what I was referring to:
06-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Administrator
The more rep points you have, the more your vote counts.
I could be wrong, but I suspect that the reference to "voting" refers to how many rep points you yourself confer on others when you click the scales of a post.

Everyone starts out with the ability to give one point to a worthwhile post. At some point (the specific algorithm has never been spelled out, probably intentionally), you notice that your rep power has increased, and you're giving out two points every time you rep someone. The process continues, until you reach the point of having being able to deliver five points to others with a single click of your mouse.

There are exceptions, of course. There are some forums, and some threads, where everyone's repping power is set at one point, no matter how high their own reputation may be. That's true in the Community Chat forum, the Politics & Other Controversies forum, and in any specific thread in any forum that is deemed a chat thread. I believe that it may also be the case in Games, but am not sure.

To the best of my knowledge, I can't recall any outright election on City-Data, where members would actually vote. Well, there are polls, certainly, but your vote in a poll counts the same whether you have 10 points or 10,000. And I believe that the Administrator has polled members a time or two to determine interest levels in possible new forum topics. But an actual election with ballots cast, no, I don't recall ever seeing anything like that here.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 PM

Hmm! Still confused, but maybe i don't need to understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum