Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2007, 06:56 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,228,811 times

Advertisements

I have been on this board for awhile now..but have to admit...today was the first time I have read the rules.

Question in regard to cross posting? Where I live...it is so close to the SC/NC stateline I often find myself going back and forth between the forums answering questions. Today I posted some information on the SC side...but got to thinking alot of folks use the NC (Charlotte) side for my area as well...so I posted in both states (would this still be considered cross posting?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 07:03 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,403,351 times
I think this is more meant as, if you're just going into many different forums asking,

"what are the jobs like here"

Then go to another one and ask the same and so on and so fourth.

You said you're answering questions, so I don't THINK it would be considered that, I could be wrong though.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
I think this is more meant as, if you're just going into many different forums asking,

"what are the jobs like here"

Then go to another one and ask the same and so on and so fourth.

You said you're answering questions, so I don't THINK it would be considered that, I could be wrong though.
Well, in this particular case it was in regard to letting folks know of an event (Earth Day Celebration) that is happening in the area.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:44 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,413,096 times
I'm not a moderator so I can't really speak with great authority, but I'd imagine that since the moderators in each state forum tend to be locals, they have a general understanding of situations like this since they're familiar with the area and realize how posting information and queries in two border states, may be vital, so I'd think they'd let that slide. I am from the D.C. area, Northern Virginia in particular, and this area sort of straddles three different forums, Virginia, Maryland and DC and like you, I go back and forth between all three. Sometimes, people post in DC looking for information on the VA/MD suburbs, and sometimes vice versa, and sometimes people post information in all three hoping one of them will "take". I've seen a good number of cross-posting there and it's been allowed as I think the mods understand the area's "border issues" and how for some posters, it may be useful to post in two or more state forums.

I think what the ban on cross-posting more spam-related in the sense that someone shouldn't post in 20 forums "I'm thinking about moving to (insert state here). I'm looking for an apartment for $600/month that allows dogs somewhat near a major city." I would think that even doing this would be permitted in two or three areas/forums, but it's just to prevent wide thread spamming.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 PM

Gotcha!...thanks Ronzou and dullnboring for your time!

Old 04-21-2007, 12:31 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,281,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Gotcha!...thanks Ronzou and dullnboring for your time!
... and if you still need some "authority", these two are absolutely right. Cross-posting is either for spam or the same question(s) posted all over the states forums while it could gather all the answers in the General US forum.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:42 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,043,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I have been on this board for awhile now..but have to admit...today was the first time I have read the rules.

Question in regard to cross posting? Where I live...it is so close to the SC/NC stateline I often find myself going back and forth between the forums answering questions. Today I posted some information on the SC side...but got to thinking alot of folks use the NC (Charlotte) side for my area as well...so I posted in both states (would this still be considered cross posting?)
It is a bit confusing in the Charlotte sub-forum. Some view the sub-forum as pertaining only to local items of interest located solely within the City of Charlotte, while others consider it as a metropolitan area sub-forum.

I think it's a bit of a stretch, but for what its worth, the Feds consider "Charlotte Metrolina" as the population centers located within:

Mecklenburg County, North Carolina
Gaston County, North Carolina
Anson County, North Carolina
Cabarrus County, North Carolina
Cleveland County, North Carolina
Iredell County, North Carolina
Lincoln County, North Carolina
Rowan County, North Carolina
Stanly County, North Carolina
Union County, North Carolina
Chester County, South Carolina
Lancaster County, South Carolina
York County, South Carolina

Last edited by mm34b; 04-23-2007 at 06:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum