Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 09:02 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,757,397 times

Advertisements

I posted a question in the house forum. I also read the real estate forum a lot, and have noticed that I do not see a lot of real estate forum people posting in the house forum. My question had to do with a remodel keeping resale in mind. So I went to the real estate forum and asked people there to look at my post in house (along with giving a short summary) and give me opinions from a real estate professional opinion.

I've seen people post in house asking about increasing showings, they get referred to real estate, and no one comes and deletes their post in house. Same with the state forums. For example, you can get a "I'm have a job in DC, should I choose NoVA or Maryland?" question in both Virginia and Maryland.

With the shear number of forums that city-data has grown into over the past year, it is reasonable to assume that not everyone reads every forum. And sometimes, the poster might want the opinions from two different groups of people (i.e. DIY-ers in house and real estate professional, or Virginia lovers and Maryland lovers). I can' understand you don't want someone to cross-post something to every forum. But it seems like tailored cross-posting when the groups are unique and might have unique opinions should be allowed.

Maybe I'm just too old-school Internet. Back in the Usenet days, cross-posting was often encouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 12:25 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,273,695 times
Well, cross-posting is certainly not encouraged here. We don't want the same post to appear in twenty different forums.

Two relevant questions posted in different forums to gain different perspective are another thing. I just undeleted your thread. I'm sorry, we sometimes moderate automatically...

Old 08-18-2007, 07:12 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,757,397 times
Oh, it didn't need to be undeleted, but thanks I just thought I would bring it up here as a discussion point.

And I hope I didn't come off as too bitter *blush*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum