Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:45 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, I've actually seen a lot of people post that, so they don't all get deleted. Did they give you a reason? e.g. off-topic or something?
It just says "been taken care of" and the thread was closed. So yes I got the thread closed but I am not sure if similar threads will be allowed in the future. That is why I would like some rules on that forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 03:46 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Katiana, there is something I'm wondering about.

Can you see the deleted posts of others or only your posts that were deleted? Did you realize the others were deleted from memory or could you see the deletion? Just curious because as far as I know, you're only supposed to see your own deleted posts.

I did just a bit of a check on the thread you're talking about. It looks like the majority of your posts that were deleted weren't because you were argumentative or rude, etc. The majority of them were deleted because you were replying to members who were hijacking a thread. We also delete posts of people who have done nothing wrong because they are orphaned~meaning that their post no longer makes sense because the previous post or posts have been deleted because of a TOS violation.

I hope this helps for a bit of your concerns.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:54 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Susie you broke this rule...No "I'm leaving" messages....your words.."I have unsubscribed from this forum" & no I dont know why we cant say goodbye.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Susie you broke this rule...No "I'm leaving" messages....your words.."I have unsubscribed from this forum" & no I dont know why we cant say goodbye.
Thanks. I thought that was for leaving CD all together.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:07 PM

I wish we could say good bye...some people here just vanish after awhile...even a heads up on a move would be nice.... I think it gives the whole site a bad name but in fact you were only upset over the thread/post in the thread. Any way if you just change the wording when things get heated I think you will be ok.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Katiana, there is something I'm wondering about.

Can you see the deleted posts of others or only your posts that were deleted? Did you realize the others were deleted from memory or could you see the deletion? Just curious because as far as I know, you're only supposed to see your own deleted posts.

I did just a bit of a check on the thread you're talking about. It looks like the majority of your posts that were deleted weren't because you were argumentative or rude, etc. The majority of them were deleted because you were replying to members who were hijacking a thread. We also delete posts of people who have done nothing wrong because they are orphaned~meaning that their post no longer makes sense because the previous post or posts have been deleted because of a TOS violation.

I hope this helps for a bit of your concerns.
I can just see my own. I know a lot of others were deleted b/c the thread went from 8 pages to 6. Plus, I vaguely remember what some of the other posts were about. Thanks for your help.

My main concern is that people in addition to me were reporting posts all day and it took someone going "public" (me) to get some action. It was getting quite nasty. I also have a concern for that board in general, b/c the saracasm post I quoted here was not deleted, there's a lot of stuff like that that is allowed to stand, even when it is reported. In other words, this was not an isolated case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Yeah, I thought that too, but Susie is not the only one to ever say "I'm unsubscribing". In fact, a very popular poster does this frequently, and his (obviously) don't get deleted. I think there needs to be a lot more consistency in moderating. I understand that everyone is an individual and will interpret policies in their own way, but it really creates a lot of ill-will when someone gets away with the very thing you got deleted!

Old 07-13-2008, 04:13 PM

Yes been there! Times when mods get after me that someone else says the same thing an no one says a thing.....

Old 07-13-2008, 04:33 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
I do know a bit about what you're talking about. The thread was brought to our attention by one of the mods. But I was kind of busy with my own stuff and helping cover vacations and I'm sorry that you ended up feeling deserted. I didn't even check who your mod is and I'm just wondering if they may be on vacation.

The best thing I can suggest that you do is this~whoever is not happy with the way things are going on their state forum~send a DM to Yac AND to Markablue. Be specific with them~give them links to threads or posts you're referring to. Let them know which rules of the TOS you feel are being broken. You get my drift. It's just the only way that this can be checked in to and resolved.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
The best thing I can suggest that you do is this~whoever is not happy with the way things are going on their state forum~send a DM to Yac AND to Markablue. Be specific with them~give them links to threads or posts you're referring to. Let them know which rules of the TOS you feel are being broken. You get my drift. It's just the only way that this can be checked in to and resolved.
But wouldn't that hurt the mods feelings? Isn't it like going over their heads?

Old 07-13-2008, 04:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I guess that's their jobs. I see a different problem, and that is inconsistency. If poster "A" says "I'm unsubscribing" and nothing happens, and poster "B" says it and gets their post deleted, it causes hurt feelings. I know the mods are all human and will all interpret things a little differently, but there are some things I think should be handled consistently. There have been times when I've taken a cue, so to speak, from someone else, only to find MY post gets deleted and theirs doesn't! I"ve seen some mods simply close a thread when I've reported a personal attack, and others delete the post and keep it open. I don't really have a problem with that, but OTOH, I think personal attacks should be deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum