Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:26 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,914,633 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering...when is it appropriate to give a negative rep if you are not suppossed to give one just because you disagree with the poster's opinion. It seems like there would never be a good reason to give a negative rep. So...they should all be positive!

Can anyone give me an appropriate example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 11:57 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,914,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I'm wondering...when is it appropriate to give a negative rep if you are not suppossed to give one just because you disagree with the poster's opinion. It seems like there would never be a good reason to give a negative rep. So...they should all be positive!

Can anyone give me an appropriate example?

Good question, and I'd like an example as well.
What I'm finding out and from the advice of another member... if the person is a habitual poster that just likes to flame... I find the ignore feature quite useful too. It's kind of rude...but so are some comments... and it does the trick.

???There isn't much of a description of what is "allowed". If a person can post something that is totally misleading and others are not aware that it is misleading, who makes the call then?

Last edited by citybythebay; 06-19-2007 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: I'm sticking with the ignore feature

Old 06-19-2007, 06:34 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,729,433 times
Here is an example: (worthy of a neg rep point)

Regarding your posts above you are complete idiots for not knowing what is written in terms of service. I can't believe your not smart enough to read the TOS!

• Okay, the example above shows that I am speaking directly to you. I am calling you an idiot, thus my post becomes a personal attack. That is grounds for a negative rep point and report the post to a mod as the poster would also receive an infraction from us.
Example 2: (not worthy of a neg rep point)

While I understand your viewpoint I completely disagree with the thought and believe that all Christians are wrong in their belief in the need for salvation.

• Okay, in this post I'm speaking to the thought rather than the person. It's okay to disagree with a thought respectfully, however it's not okay to speak disrespectfully to another member on the forum.
We are all here to discuss and learn from one another. Some of the comments I read absolutely floor me. Would you (general) speak to your family and friends in this manner? Don't think you'd have many if you did. It is about respecting one another here. We do have the anonymity with the internet, but if you stay around long enough you will forge friendships here and begin to really become a real person to many other posters, rather than words on a screen.

Please pm me or other mods for any help. We're here to serve!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,914,633 times
Thank you, that really does clear it up! I get it now! I haven't been here that long so I haven't seen any real heated debates that have exhibited personal attacks like that, but now I know what to do if I do "see" one.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,914,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Here is an example: (worthy of a neg rep point)

Regarding your posts above you are complete idiots for not knowing what is written in terms of service. I can't believe your not smart enough to read the TOS!

• Okay, the example above shows that I am speaking directly to you. I am calling you an idiot, thus my post becomes a personal attack. That is grounds for a negative rep point and report the post to a mod as the poster would also receive an infraction from us.
Example 2: (not worthy of a neg rep point)

While I understand your viewpoint I completely disagree with the thought and believe that all Christians are wrong in their belief in the need for salvation.

• Okay, in this post I'm speaking to the thought rather than the person. It's okay to disagree with a thought respectfully, however it's not okay to speak disrespectfully to another member on the forum.
We are all here to discuss and learn from one another. Some of the comments I read absolutely floor me. Would you (general) speak to your family and friends in this manner? Don't think you'd have many if you did. It is about respecting one another here. We do have the anonymity with the internet, but if you stay around long enough you will forge friendships here and begin to really become a real person to many other posters, rather than words on a screen.

Please pm me or other mods for any help. We're here to serve!

Hello Hoosier_guy,

My concern is when things are taken totally out of context.
Take for instance the words ignorant and uneducated.
I used both in a thread and it was not directed towards any one person.
But rather as a group as in "people" or society as a whole.

How is that line drawn here? I thought this was a bb where people can express their opinion? I don't feel as though members need to put a disclaimer after a post that others may not agree with. Am I wrong?
I have very strong opinions especially when it comes to the animal rescue group I work day and night for.
I might also add that I do not shove any of my opinions down anyones throat. I try to avoid people that are... well....ignorant to learning. There is no other way to put it.

And I do believe that if people... (not referring to any specific person) understood just what a person does that volunteers their time to an animal rescue group as well as educate others on the positives they would think twice before they jump to conclusions with misleading information.

You say that if any member has a question to ask a mod...no disrespect but I think that should go both ways, no?...If a mod has a concern maybe they should communicate that with the member they have an issue with....in other words get both sides of the story...validation goes a long way in my book...and I'm speaking of the member that does not have a pattern of so called "personal attacks" such as myself.......just a thought.

Thanks for reading...

Old 06-19-2007, 07:47 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,277,445 times
It would be ideal, I guess. The problem is that moderators often have a few hundred posts to read and dozens to remove. If they were required to ask every time they need to moderate, there wouldn't be much time left for moderating. To my knowledge, though, a lot of us do use PM to communicate and I'm sure some problems are being solved that way.

As to drawing the line... I don't believe it's even possible to categorize everything. A lot depends precisely on the context. If the overall tone of the post is harsh, there are no arguments or opinions to support such claims, it is more likely to get deleted than a more neutral post, containing the words you mention, and some background story.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 PM

415 posts, read 706,145 times
You can always make the mods lives easier by using the report a post button.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:24 PM

800 posts, read 4,302,331 times
I have no clue why I recently received a negative point. It was from this thread...

16 Mile?

The person just wrote me and said that my views were way off. Huh??? So, expressing my own personal truth in a way that doesn't even attack anyone is way off and worthy of a negative point???

What the heck?!

Old 06-23-2007, 12:27 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,729,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
I have no clue why I recently received a negative point. It was from this thread...

16 Mile?

The person just wrote me and said that my views were way off. Huh??? So, expressing my own personal truth in a way that doesn't even attack anyone is way off and worthy of a negative point???

What the heck?!
In cases like this pm markablue as she is the keeper of the rep system. She can make the bad rep go away as long as it's for a valid reason. I got one today too for a similiar reason as yours. People don't understand that if they abuse the rep system it can turn around and bite them. I've heard where people can lose their points if they abuse the system.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:18 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,277,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post

16 Mile?

What the heck?!
Point removed, offender punished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum