Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:43 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,258,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I wish there was a way to tell you nicely, and that you would hear, that you are being negative--first saying folks are racially motivated in how they respond to you when clearly you could be blue and no one can see you, and then saying that no one responds to you when you received a reasonable response from one of the moderators.

I believe the board now has about 110,000 members--and that the moderators attempt to answer as many as humanly possible.

Is the board fair and balanced, probably not, but it does try!
Rep is not to be used for personal issues, such as disagreeing with a member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 06:51 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,146,517 times
I just got a negative reputation and while my post may have crossed the line, it probably didn't deserve even a nod. Responses and reputation points are just often subjective and we won't find a balance because folks are so different, it's impossible to weigh what is or isn't appropriate--unless it is a blatant disregard for civility or downright derogatory.

So I suggest we both chill, and take the bubbly with the sour taste that may come with what we perceive as unfair--because nothing really is perfect.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:53 PM

415 posts, read 706,145 times
Quote:
I just got a negative reputation and while my post may have crossed the line, it probably didn't deserve even a nod. Responses and reputation points are just often subjective and we won't find a balance because folks are so different, it's impossible to weigh what is or isn't appropriate--unless it is a blatant disregard for civility or downright derogatory.

So I suggest we both chill, and take the bubbly with the sour taste that may come with what we perceive as unfair--because nothing really is perfect.
I remember in one other forum a couple of years ago I made a comment that got me like 10 positive and 4 negative reps. You can never please them all.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:36 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,510,375 times
PCBoy should remember that anyone can click on his user name and read "all posts by PCBoy". As far as race is concerned, I don't know his race, color, creed, sexual preference, political philosophy or choice in comic books, and I don't care. In fact, I don't even know for sure if he's a "he", anyone can use "Boy" in their user name.

We base opinions on a forum like this on what is written by the poster. We can't see their personal attributes, we can't see their body language or facial expressions, or hear their tone of voice. All we have is the written word. Fortunately, the written word is the most dependable and durable means of communication.

If someone thinks they are being misunderstood, they should carefully review what they have written and consider the ways in which it could be understood.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:46 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,258,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
PCBoy should remember that anyone can click on his user name and read "all posts by PCBoy". As far as race is concerned, I don't know his race, color, creed, sexual preference, political philosophy or choice in comic books, and I don't care. In fact, I don't even know for sure if he's a "he", anyone can use "Boy" in their user name.

We base opinions on a forum like this on what is written by the poster. We can't see their personal attributes, we can't see their body language or facial expressions, or hear their tone of voice. All we have is the written word. Fortunately, the written word is the most dependable and durable means of communication.

If someone thinks they are being misunderstood, they should carefully review what they have written and consider the ways in which it could be understood.

I wasn't being serious about the race thing, but when I see others get no pentalty for the same thing I've done and the mods do nothing about it is what I'm asking about.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:53 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,277,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Also, someone gave me rep for "being very negative", but do they get in trouble for it, nope. I wasn't flaming anyone or anything, but I'm guessing the moderators here favor others for personal and or racial reasons.

I Pm'd another mod about this, I don't think it was markablue, though I pm'd her about something else and got no response so this is why I'm posting it here. Wow the mods even ignore users (probably) because of race how terrible
I'm sorry I didn't respond immediately but I cannot be online 24 hours a day. Since you posted it here, I will reply here as well.

To make things clear: your reputation has been downgraded by 10 points for repetitive abuse of the system, as per the forum rules.

1) I don't have an answer to your first PM, I'm afraid, other than this forum has its rules and everyone is supposed to follow them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy
Good for you, I don't take rep seriously but if doing this validates your existence then so be it.
2) The second one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy
Also, is giving out too much rep abusing it? I really don't feel like I abused it, rep is based upon opinions, but the mods here are racist anyway so that's why you guys are doing this to me and not anyone else.
It's not about giving too much. In the last month you gave over 10 negative reputation points that have been reported as abusive. Some with comments like "I disagree" - which is a deliberate abuse, others, for example saying "too negative" while the post in question was, in fact, positive.

3) In the last month you received 2 negative comments. One says "pointless and inappropriate", the other one "You're very negative". Unfortunately, the first comment pertains to a non-informative one liner and the other to a negative post. Also, the people who gave them to you did not have a record of abusing the system by spreading negatives left and right, whether deserved or not.

It is beyond me how racism may have anything to do with anything here. I've no idea what race you are, I don't know the race of the other posters, either.

4)
Quote:
If you give negative rep to a mod for any reason at all you'll be automatically banned I believe.
We don't have an "automatic" ban, first of all. This assumption is also false in that there are a lot of moderators with negative comments in their profiles. Last time I checked, the users who negged them were alive and kicking.

5)
Quote:
It's just ever since I posted my race on here that "Certain" mods have been "accidentally" giving me restrictions, etc. while not doing it to other members. And coming from my area I guess others are just generalizing what race I am I thought this was a fair forum, especially since it covers the entire world but I guess not. Some mods here are cool but others.... I guess I can't post my opinion because you'll probably ban me despite helping many members here.
Again, I never read your post. You have two expired infractions for trolling from two different moderators. I can't tell which posts they were for, because infractions, unlike reputation points, are attached to a person, not a post. They were most probably for something you wrote in the Miami forum, because this is where you mainly post. The last time I read anything on that forum was almost a year ago, so I have no idea what you posted.

6)
Quote:
Rep is not to be used for personal issues, such as disagreeing with a member.
I couldn't agree more. Alas, this is precisely the rule you broke about ten times within a month, hence -10 points.

7)
Quote:
I wasn't being serious about the race thing, but when I see others get no pentalty for the same thing I've done and the mods do nothing about it is what I'm asking about.
I'm afraid you can't know what others do, since you have no access to the reputation comments. However, if you suspect abuse, you are welcome to PM me. I tend to respond when I'm online. As to the two negs from last month, I already said there is no abuse. If you wish me to review your earlier comments, let me know, please.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:07 AM

13 posts, read 63,141 times
sounds like another way to control your fredom of speach when you going to wake up

Old 06-25-2007, 08:42 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,642,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
sounds like another way to control your fredom of speach when you going to wake up
there is no such thing as "freedom of speech" in a privately owned and operated forum I tell people on my site that if they don't care for my take on this matter they are free to start their own website and let people post whatever they please.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,146,517 times
Rather than starting another thread, I'd like to ask if the senior moderators (markablue and Yac) review all negative reputation points whether they are reported by a member or not.

And if they do, are clear violations rectified?

Many thanks.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:12 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,277,445 times
Quote:
Rather than starting another thread, I'd like to ask if the senior moderators (markablue and Yac) review all negative reputation points whether they are reported by a member or not.

And if they do, are clear violations rectified?

Many thanks.
I'm afraid it only happens when they are reported. I used to run a regular reputation scans until recently but these days it's impossible. Too many of them. But yes, all reported violations are dealt with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum