Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 7,715 times

Advertisements

I'm in Oxford Wi. It's a cheap place to buy a house, that's why we moved here. The area is pretty, nice lakes. But I have nothing in common with anyone I've met so far. I'm really lonely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 10:24 AM

257 posts, read 1,080,901 times
Sunflower, why don't u go and introduce yourself to the neighbor that is trying to get to know people. Maybe she would like to join your book club!

Old 08-12-2007, 12:20 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,528 times
Thanks Putty! I've met her once, but am going to email her this week and see if we can get together with her and her family.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:00 PM

788 posts, read 4,067,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower53072 View Post
Last night at my book group, several of the women were talking about one of our new neighbors. She is really trying to make friends. She had a neighborhood 4th of July party(small attendence) and is trying to orgainize a Lady's night out. The women were saying they already have too many friends and have no time to make any more. They are all nice women, but this is the attitude I have found here. If I ever move again I will try to find an area with more transplants and buy in a new neighborhood, where people are still interested in meeting people.
This new neighbor sounds like a great opportunity for you to make another friend. She needs you and you need her, right?

Old 08-12-2007, 01:04 PM

788 posts, read 4,067,757 times
Sorry, Sunflower. I just noticed that someone else made that suggestion.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:02 PM

32 posts, read 109,788 times
I have been here now for 33 years. I was going to move when I graduated from high school, when my son graduated, and just recently came to my senses once again when I was thinking of moving to Oregon.

Really, it is about quality of life. That is what keeps me here. I can think of no better place that I could have raised my son than here. Sure the winters are cold, but the winters end and you have the spring, summer and fall to enjoy. I like to travel, so I plan my trips when it is cold here in WI.

My California cousins think I am a hick (which I am so not) and crazy for living here. I get the last laugh, it takes me 10 minutes to get to work and I dont have to sit in a parking lot known as a freeway to get there.

As far as people being friendly, it really does depend on who you know. I first made my friends through work and school, but have since met some great people just by being a little outgoing.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 AM

270 posts, read 522,539 times
[quote=Escape Wisconsin;1314106]

"Sure the winters are cold, but the winters end"

That's the thing--they don't really end. At least 8 months of cold weather, at least 5 of those are brutally cold. I find it depressing, and I never was a depressed person until I moved here. This endless gloom affects me more than I would have thought. It's already been feeling like an early fall preview this week, and it's August! Hello! If we have one more day without sunshine, I'm gonna have to buy one of those expensive lights that imitates the sun.

As far as liking Wisconsin, no, I don't. But I will say that when I first moved here, it was to central Wisconsin. That is truly that end of the world. But since I moved to southeastern Wisconsin, I am adjusting much better. My nextdoor neighbor (who also is not from Wisconsin) has a child my daughter's age, which is great for the kids and great for us. I've made friends very slowly. Also, I have no family around, and my husband commutes to Chicago every day. It could make for a pretty lonely life, but I keep myself busy, and try to do things for my daughter so she's not lonely.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:46 AM

270 posts, read 522,539 times
Ten minutes to get to work--hmm, takes my husband two hours. And two hours back home. The job market here is not good.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:33 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,360,863 times
I'm a transplant from another country and I love Wisconsin (living in central WI). Beautiful countryside, wonderful seasons and tons to do especially if you like the outdoors. I can honestly say this state has some of the friendliest and most hard working people I have ever met.
Since arriving here I've just thrown myself out there! If I make one true friend I'll be happy. For now I'm content with saying "hi" to the neighbors and them saying "hi" back I think finding my niche will come in time. Hey, I'll hopefully be living here until I croak, so I've got plenty of time

Old 08-23-2007, 09:38 AM

158 posts, read 610,307 times
We moved recently moved here, to Central WI (Wausau), and we LOVE it. We happen to be in a neighborhood that has just had a number of young families move in and my kids are always happily playing with other children they happen to meet while they are outside.

Many people have introduced themselves and we are finding that people in general here are much more welcoming than in RI. We also love the fact that people here give you a nice amount of privacy, as well. Sometimes it's nice to just sit outside in the quiet and relax without always having to chit chat.

Anyhow, we are glad that we moved here!

By the way... that "early fall preview" has been happening on the East Coast, as well... as my friends have reported!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin