Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 AM

323 posts, read 1,968,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyminute View Post
Hard to understand this, it is "One Nation, Under God" or even just One Nation.
Not really hard to understand at all. People tend to be more comfortable interacting with others who share their beliefs, values and even background. With some people it's more pronounced than with others but it seems to be a fairly common trait.

Pulling out nationalistic phrases doesn't really change the fact that a nation as large as the United States will NOT be homogeneous. I like to think that's one of the reasons that the individual states were originally given so much autonomy.

Quote:
It shouldn't matter what state one hails from.
By the same token it really shouldn't matter what country one hails from - we're all people after all. The reality is that I have more in common with people from British Columbia than I do with people from Georgia or, heaven forbid, Texas

Quote:
99 out of 100 are forced by employment issues.
I sincerely doubt that it's anywhere near 99%. I know of some people who have moved for employment reasons but I know far more that have decided to move for other reasons and then worked to find employment in their chosen new home region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 07:09 AM

31 posts, read 153,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetacoma View Post
Not really hard to understand at all. People tend to be more comfortable interacting with others who share their beliefs, values and even background. With some people it's more pronounced than with others but it seems to be a fairly common trait.

Pulling out nationalistic phrases doesn't really change the fact that a nation as large as the United States will NOT be homogeneous. I like to think that's one of the reasons that the individual states were originally given so much autonomy.

By the same token it really shouldn't matter what country one hails from - we're all people after all. The reality is that I have more in common with people from British Columbia than I do with people from Georgia or, heaven forbid, Texas

I sincerely doubt that it's anywhere near 99%. I know of some people who have moved for employment reasons but I know far more that have decided to move for other reasons and then worked to find employment in their chosen new home region.

Maybe Pepsi should re-teach the World To Sing Together?

Old 07-19-2007, 08:03 PM

5 posts, read 13,103 times
Default Moving to WI soon

Okay, we are moving to Wisconsin soon and also spent some time in Columbus, OH. We are now in upstate NY and I had a hell of a time breaking into someone's circle. I'm very disheartened to hear I may have to do it all again. What is wrong with people?

Old 08-05-2007, 10:10 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,662 times
Default people up here do not like "foreigners"

they don't like you if you came from a place that has money. I guesss I dont. have anymore polite way to put it. If you come from illionois or california they wont take to good to you. If you come from west virginia or north dakota...welcome..yer in da same boat

Old 08-06-2007, 04:43 PM

298 posts, read 704,301 times
I moved to a small WI city with my husband after graduate school in Madison, WI. Grew up in a populous Detroit suburb and experienced great culture shock when moving to a rural county with farms and genuine cows!!! Everyone I met had lived here forever and thought Michigan meant only the UP. It was tough at first because I felt like I had moved back in time.

Eventually I began working full-time in a professional career and made friends through work. Some were natives and others were transplants. Gradually I began to appreciate the slower pace of life, the clean and safe community. I also learned to be more outgoing. Folks in a community have their own friends and activities. They don't need you-you need them. I participated in local community theater and music groups (my interests) and made more friends who shared my interests. It also helped to have an open, accepting attitude of different (to me) ideas and beliefs. People with different ideas from you are just that-different, not neccessarily wrong. I was also careful not to act "superior" just because I was from a big city.

We had a neighbor who moved from "out East" with her husband's transfer. He was friendly to everyone. She dressed around home like a "rich b----" and made it quite clear that everyone in WI was not up to her "superior" standards. They didn't stay long and I'm sure she wondered why she had no friends from the local "hicks".

It takes time to get used to a new place, but if you relax and are friendly and participate in things I believe you can be happy and accepted most anywhere.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 AM

27,339 posts, read 27,390,428 times
I have friends out there who have lived there most of their lives and love it. Ive been there twice and love it, and can see why they dont want to leave. Pleasant people, beautiful scenery, work is everywhere, Ive even given thought, from time to time, of transplanting from this dry dusty desert here....

Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,662 times
Default come on in

i is just best to be like everone else

Old 08-10-2007, 07:26 AM

396 posts, read 1,698,528 times
Last night at my book group, several of the women were talking about one of our new neighbors. She is really trying to make friends. She had a neighborhood 4th of July party(small attendence) and is trying to orgainize a Lady's night out. The women were saying they already have too many friends and have no time to make any more. They are all nice women, but this is the attitude I have found here. If I ever move again I will try to find an area with more transplants and buy in a new neighborhood, where people are still interested in meeting people.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,715 times
Default already from here

I'm FROM Wisconsin, and last year moved to a new town. I've never been so lonely in my life. I couln't be more opposite than the people here if I tried. It's like an episode of "wife swap"!
If there are people here compatable to my husband and I, we have yet to figure out how to find them.
People here think I'm crazy because my dogs live IN the house!

Old 08-10-2007, 07:56 PM

298 posts, read 704,301 times
Where are you, Doghouse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin