Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 01:11 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
You're right. This is an event not a one of many like a full schedule of baseball in Miami or something like that. There are a lot of people whose families came over from countries where soccer is king who love soccer. It would be better if transportation to the area was better and there were more hotels but they'll fill the place with no problems at all.
Oh, they are already planning for the transportation. Just saw a presentation by Kevin Corbett this morning, and there was a slide on it.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:14 PM

30,666 posts, read 18,290,146 times
The World Cup will be extremely well-attended and profitable in the U.S., just as it was in 1994, which still holds the record for the most attended FIFA World Cup tournament (despite the FIFA World Cup since expanding from 24 to 32 teams starting in 1998), and one of the most financially successful.

As for popularity, sure soccer isn't as commercially popular in the U.S. as some other sports, but plenty of people still attend soccer games, with almost 11 million fans attending MLS games (for an average of 22,111 fans per game) in 2023: https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...0of%2021%2C033.

For context, 11 million is less than half of the attendance of NBA games (22.16 NBA fans packed arenas in the 2022/2023 season), with the NBA having roughly the same amount of spectators as the NHL: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...2.16%20million. ; https://www.statista.com/statistics/...2.45%20million. But 11 million MLS spectators per year is still nothing to make light of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Only 8 out of the 104 games are going to be played in New Jersey. It seems like the even the New York Jets sell more tickets than the world cup This world cup in NJ is really beginning to look like a nothing burger and stats are being overinflated by politicians.
That's what you hope, anyway. One wonders why, if you despise the state in which you live so very deeply, you don't go elsewhere. Why do you stay? Family? I'm pretty sure you don't have a career of any substance keeping you here. "Influencer" or whatever you kids call yourselves can be done from anywhere, no?

Your level of negativity is terrible. It must be depressing for anyone to be around you for any length of time. Of course, moving might not resolve that--you have to take yourself wherever you go!

But seriously, life is too short to spend it constantly seeking to be miserable.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-08-2024 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-08-2024, 01:46 PM

451 posts, read 324,501 times
8 games here is huge. It's clear that DH has never been out and about during a World Cup game in 2010, 2014, 2018, and 2022. Bars and restaurants were packed in cities for those games. And not just soccer bars like Mulligans and Darcy's. I am talking regular bars out in Morristown like the Grasshopper were filled for those games. And those are World Cups not in the US. It will be like that but on steroids.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:52 PM

19,147 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Your level of negativity is terrible. It must be depressing for anyone to be around you for any length of time. Of course, moving might not resolve that--you have to take yourself wherever you go!
Yup, as Thomas a Kempis wrote, circa 1440 A.D. :
"You cannot escape it no matter where you run, for wherever you go you are burdened with yourself. Wherever you go, there you are.”

As I have frequently counseled unhappy people over the years, The Geographical Cure is rarely successful.
Instead, intensive therapy is more likely to be successful.

Old 02-08-2024, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
8 games here is huge. It's clear that DH has never been out and about during a World Cup game in 2010, 2014, 2018, and 2022. Bars and restaurants were packed in cities for those games. And not just soccer bars like Mulligans and Darcy's. I am talking regular bars out in Morristown like the Grasshopper were filled for those games. And those are World Cups not in the US. It will be like that but on steroids.
To be fair, he seems to be very young. I saw a post of his a few months ago asking about a venue for his wedding. I don't think.he has strayed too far from home or seen much of the world. He probably just doesn't know much about it.

But yeah, from 2002 to 2008, I worked at One Madison Avenue, the original Met Life Building, then owned by Credit Suisse. During the games, they had a huge TV and chairs set up.in the lobby, and people from the different companies in the building would eat their lunches watching and take breaks to go down there.

When I was staying up in Canada, too, people who didn't normally follow soccer watched the World Cup games.

Old 02-08-2024, 02:20 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,050,389 times
Quote:
That's what you hope, anyway. One wonders why, if you despise the state in which you live so very deeply, you don't go elsewhere. Why do you stay? Family? I'm pretty sure you don't have a career of any substance keeping you here. "Influencer" or whatever you kids call yourselves can be done from anywhere, no?

But seriously, life is too short to spend it constantly seeking to be miserable.
Relax MightyQueen - two things I'm questioning as we live in a very politically corrupt state with extremely corrupt state politicians.
  • How did New Jersey get the World Cup? Extremely valid question, given the past and all the corruption with Fifa with governments
  • Questioning the numbers: We will have a few games here as will many other countries and states/cities. It looks like they are overestimating the economic impact on the state for a few games played here.

Old 02-08-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
Sure, people will go to bars during the World Cup but it doesn't matter if they are playing here or Antarctica. As soon as the US drops out, attendance drops of the cliff.

Old 02-08-2024, 02:32 PM

Quote:
To be fair, he seems to be very young. I saw a post of his a few months ago asking about a venue for his wedding. I don't think.he has strayed too far from home or seen much of the world. He probably just doesn't know much about it.

But yeah, from 2002 to 2008, I worked at One Madison Avenue, the original Met Life Building, then owned by Credit Suisse. During the games, they had a huge TV and chairs set up.in the lobby, and people from the different companies in the building would eat their lunches watching and take breaks to go down there.

When I was staying up in Canada, too, people who didn't normally follow soccer watched the World Cup games.
I'm extremely well travelled, possibly more than anyone else in the forum. I've been in South America and Central America after a game and people are doing parades down empty city states, i've been inside a mall inside Egypt after a soccer match and watched people go crazy after a game. I've been to two soccer games in Europe, once in Monaco in 2019 and one in France back in 2016.

I see the passion and love for the fans of the games. Americans unfortunately don't have a passion, or love for the game like the rest of the world. I know people globally look forward to the event, and its such a shame that they took it away from them to New Jersey, a place where there are hardly any soccer fans.

Old 02-08-2024, 02:39 PM

5,174 posts, read 3,779,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Relax MightyQueen - two things I'm questioning as we live in a very politically corrupt state with extremely corrupt state politicians.
  • How did New Jersey get the World Cup? Extremely valid question, given the past and all the corruption with Fifa with governments
  • Questioning the numbers: We will have a few games here as will many other countries and states/cities. It looks like they are overestimating the economic impact on the state for a few games played here.

FIFA is terribly corrupt this time the NJ area got the Cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey