Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 09:24 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,821,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’m just going to say that Kiryas Joel is one of the weirdest little enclaves in the US. I first heard about this place years ago and I’m sure it hasn’t lost any of that uniqueness.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiryas_Joel,_New_York
It also has toxic relationships with every adjacent town and almost all of county politics is spent in fights between the ultra-Orthodox community and every state/county mandate they dislike on religious grounds. To have it be the largest city of an MSA of 703,000 is going to really **** of the metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 09:25 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,840,087 times
There will be updates in the next few years. So some things will change.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:48 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’m just going to say that Kiryas Joel is one of the weirdest little enclaves in the US. I first heard about this place years ago and I’m sure it hasn’t lost any of that uniqueness.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiryas_Joel,_New_York
That Wikipedia article is wild!

Old 07-22-2023, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 3,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Very small, very initial takeaways (feel free to correct me if I am wong)

The state of Connecticut is odd. Not that I disagree with the change to Planning Regions, I just imagine many may now argue CT's MSAs are not apples-to-apples with all other MSAs which are based on county lines. I do not mind the change personally given the nuances of CT's oddly-shaped counties. Has any state ever deviated from county lines?

Baldwin County AL remains separate of Mobile AL

Elkhart and South Bend remain separate

Mikwuakee still does not pick up Kenosha nor Racine Counties. This still baffles me.

La Crosse, Wisconsin picked up Vernon County (139k MSA previously, adding a 30k to get to ~170k). That is big.

Youngstown OH lost Mercer County PA (110k)... woah. Hermitage PA becomes its own micro SA.

Pittsburgh adds Lawrence County (+86k), containing New Castle PA, which makes sense.

Lebanon PA remains seperate (not grabbed by either the Harrisburg-Carlisle MSA or the Lancaster MSA).

Jackson MS added Scott County MS (27k). Going from 583k to ~610k

Baton Rouge LA is nearly Louisiana's most populous MSA as New Orleans continues to hemorrhage population.

Midland TX and Odessa TX remain separate. Midland adds tiny Martin County TX (only 5k) to its MSA.

Fayetteville AR added nothing (surprising given its rapid growth)

Hilton Head SC and Savannah remain separate

Corpus Christi added Aransas County TX (+23k going from 421k to ~444k)

So weird to me that Sarasota's MSA is headlined by North Port (and has for some time/always?). I always think of Sarasota principally, or Bradenton secondly. The airport is called Sarasota-Bradenton International. I could not find Sarasota initially since it is filed under Noeth Port, and I briefly thought it had been absorbed by Tampa...

Trenton/Princeton (Mercer County NJ) remains separate of Philadelphia *scratches head and wonders how this is possible*

Cannot really tell, did Charleston WV lose Lincoln and Jackson Counties WV?

Did Huntington WV gain Lawrence County KY?

Toledo OH lost Ottawa County -40k (646k to 606k). Ouch.

Waco TX added Bosque County to it's MSA (+18k) going from 284k to 302k
Austin TX was another place that surprised me. With it's massive growth

Old 07-22-2023, 11:07 AM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
That Wikipedia article is wild!
Yeah, you aren’t kidding.

I’m actually surprised this place isn’t semi-famous.

Old 07-22-2023, 01:28 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Ohh That's Nice, South Carolina has its first 1million + Metro
Congratulations for South Carolina
As far as CSAs go, SC already had a 1M+ metro with Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson. The Greenville-Anderson-Greer MSA is on track to be the state's first MSA to cross the 1M threshold within a year or two at most.

Old 07-22-2023, 01:32 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,294,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Very small, very initial takeaways (feel free to correct me if I am wong)

The state of Connecticut is odd. Not that I disagree with the change to Planning Regions, I just imagine many may now argue CT's MSAs are not apples-to-apples with all other MSAs which are based on county lines. I do not mind the change personally given the nuances of CT's oddly-shaped counties. Has any state ever deviated from county lines?

Baldwin County AL remains separate of Mobile AL

Elkhart and South Bend remain separate

Mikwuakee still does not pick up Kenosha nor Racine Counties. This still baffles me.

La Crosse, Wisconsin picked up Vernon County (139k MSA previously, adding a 30k to get to ~170k). That is big.

Youngstown OH lost Mercer County PA (110k)... woah. Hermitage PA becomes its own micro SA.

Pittsburgh adds Lawrence County (+86k), containing New Castle PA, which makes sense.

Lebanon PA remains seperate (not grabbed by either the Harrisburg-Carlisle MSA or the Lancaster MSA).

Jackson MS added Scott County MS (27k). Going from 583k to ~610k

Baton Rouge LA is nearly Louisiana's most populous MSA as New Orleans continues to hemorrhage population.

Midland TX and Odessa TX remain separate. Midland adds tiny Martin County TX (only 5k) to its MSA.

Fayetteville AR added nothing (surprising given its rapid growth)

Hilton Head SC and Savannah remain separate

Corpus Christi added Aransas County TX (+23k going from 421k to ~444k)

So weird to me that Sarasota's MSA is headlined by North Port (and has for some time/always?). I always think of Sarasota principally, or Bradenton secondly. The airport is called Sarasota-Bradenton International. I could not find Sarasota initially since it is filed under Noeth Port, and I briefly thought it had been absorbed by Tampa...

Trenton/Princeton (Mercer County NJ) remains separate of Philadelphia *scratches head and wonders how this is possible*

Cannot really tell, did Charleston WV lose Lincoln and Jackson Counties WV?

Did Huntington WV gain Lawrence County KY?

Toledo OH lost Ottawa County -40k (646k to 606k). Ouch.
I think that’s just because North Port technically has a higher population. It’s weird though, North Port, Port Charlotte, and Punta Gorda should probably be together.

Old 07-22-2023, 02:56 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
CT is really just a separate entity now Hartford-New Haven-Waterbury-New London is 1 CSA that’s nuts
Yeah I would think that more accurate to how rel life feels but IRL it felt more like Hartford-Springfield and New Haven-Waterbury as two MSAs. waterbury and Springfield being the minor cities to New Haven and Hartford.

Old 07-22-2023, 03:16 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Honestly it is much much better. There is pretty big flaws in county measures when labor markets intercept, like Worcester is wildly inflated. It’s the biggest city in the county so gets credit for the county but Leominster-Fitchburg and those 495 belt towns are totally independent of Worcester.

Similarly Cleveland, Boston and now New Haven have enormously bloated CSA’s due to daisy chaining of MSA’s together.

Does anyone believe New Haven would be the Midwests 4th largest city? By CSA it is
Hartford is a bigger area than New Haven and it should be extending to hampden county ma. This seems disrespectful to Hartford. Calling it part of or under the new haven area is borderline egregious.

Old 07-22-2023, 04:36 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Kiryas Who!??? Kiryas Joel? What is That, Sorry not from New York I'm from The South Never Heard of some of these Places

Ohh That's Nice, South Carolina has its first 1million + Metro
Congratulations for South Carolina

Tennessee is on the Verge of having 3 metros over 1 million Knoxville is getting close
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I live ~2hrs 45min from the NY border and I’ve never heard of that place!
Its a very rapidly fast growing hasidic/orthodox jewish community in Rockland County NY. 75% of the population is younger than 20 years old because the Total Fertility rate is roughly 8.5 - 9.0, since its tradition in Orthodox Jewish culture to have as many children as possible. Therefore, many people are like 'why is this area growing so fast?!' .. its because of that. I kive about 45 minutes to Kiryas and about 25 minutes to the NYS border... they cannot build fast enough and teh Orthodox Jewish community has exploded.

Another area just like Kiryas Joel, about 3-5 years behind on population and stature/status, is Lakewood NJ.

I am all for religious freedom and all, but there is a lot of tensions between the Orthodox Jewish community and everyone else. Not a very welcoming place and if you live by it you will feel the strong tensions. They can be super racist to POC and non-Orthodox Jewish women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.