Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 07:55 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
No....

I was pointing out core counties vs secondary suburban counties with in that one of the things discuss was population differences between north and south. That was one thing of a larger point. I was pointing out county sizes and how these metros are develop amongst others things.

In DFW there 11 counties Dallas and Tarrant are the 2 core counties, Collins and Denton are the secondary suburban counties and a lot rest of the 7 counties are outer suburban/exurban counties.

The error was secondary suburban DFW counties were being compare to Atlanta core counties just for comparing counties to the north. I was saying Cobb or Gwinnett counties to Metro Atlanta are basically like just saying Northern Dallas County or Northern Harris. Collins and Denton is like a combination of Forsyth, Cherokee, Dawson, Lumpkin etc

Houston work the same way.

Yes a brought Houston "harris County" in it and told you why I did it but your not listening. Your being defensive over nothing.

First off I never said Atlanta was denser than Houston so your making a non point.

Second off Atlanta has about 5 million that 3781 sq mi area. Like houston, and DFW it doesn't take the whole area to get most of the population.

Third if you pay attention I was making that point with All 3 of them.

Entire MSA
Atlanta is 29 counties 8,376 sq mi
DFW is 11 counties 8,675 sq mi
Houston is 9 counties 10,062 sq mi

Core counties.
Atlanta Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, Dekalb, Clayton counties 1,600 sq mi
DFW Dallas, Tarrant counties 1,800 sq mi
Houston Harris county alone 1,600 sq mi.

Harris County is the core county which the majority of Houston MSA lives in. Dallas and Tarrant are core counties which most of DFW lives in. Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, Dekalb, Clayton are core counties most Atlanta MSA lives in. The rest of these metro counties in any of those metro are secondary suburban counties or exurban.

So yes I was aware "that huge potions of the county are empty and most of the other counties in the metro is just fluff." that happen in Atlanta and DFW too

For example in DFW Hunt County is 99,956 but in area 882 sq mi

Atlanta has 5 core counties. Than 12 other secondary suburban counties. The rest of the other 12 counties are larger rural and exurban. Other wise Atlanta has belt of bunch counties that are like 30k in 300 sq mi.

For example
Pickens county GA is 33,216 in 233 sq mi
Picture of Pickens County Mountains
Dawson County is 26,798 in 214 sq mi
Picture of Dawson County GA Mountains

All 3 metro ATL, DFW and Houston, 3 are going the same thing with different counties sizes.

Houston has the largest counties so Houston secondary suburban belt and exurban belt are in same county.

Like wise "Greater Houston" Montgomery County TX to Metro Atlanta would be like taking Secondary suburban ring of Forsyth 251,283, and Cherokee 266,620..... then adding the exurban/ rual counties like Pickens, Dawson County etc.
ATL is still heavily trailing the others though, I'm not sure why you attempt to equate it. Every city has different geography which is why I mentioned Houston's even population distribution.

Even catering towards Atlanta's suburban development up to 1,600 with five counties it's still like a million less than the others at least. Then in Dallas you still have Collin and Denton counties that are not exurbs, and still another 2 million people. After you expand beyond Gwinnett to the north and Clay Co. to the South, Atlanta pulls in lower levels of population the further you go away from those. Norcross is roughly the same distance to Midtown Atlanta, as Plano is to Downtown Dallas, and the Dallas stretch is more dense all the way there. Yet Collin County you don't call a "core" county, but Gwinnett is? That is not apples to apples. It's why UA is looked at so often to compare, and also that radial population tool puts a lot into context.

Last edited by the resident09; 09-21-2023 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 09:11 AM

834 posts, read 455,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
ATL is still heavily trailing the others though, I'm not sure why you attempt to equate it. Every city has different geography which is why I mentioned Houston's even population distribution.

Even catering towards Atlanta's suburban development up to 1,600 with five counties it's still like a million less than the others at least. Then in Dallas you still have Collin and Denton counties that are not exurbs, and still another 2 million people. After you expand beyond Gwinnett to the north and Clay Co. to the South, Atlanta pulls in lower levels of population the further you go away from those. Norcross is roughly the same distance to Midtown Atlanta, as Plano is to Downtown Dallas, and the Dallas stretch is more dense all the way there. Yet Collin County you don't call a "core" county, but Gwinnett is? That is not apples to apples. It's why UA is looked at so often to compare, and also that radial population tool puts a lot into context.
True. I’d say the same with Fort Bend County in Houston too. How is Cobb County a core county and Fort Bend not when A) Sugar Land and Marietta are pretty much the same distance from DT Houston/DT ATL and B) the stretch from downtown Houston to Sugar Land is significantly denser all the way there.

And I also disagree with their idea that people in Houston see Harris County the same way people in Atlanta see the combo of Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, Cobb, and Clayton counties. People in Houston would see counties like Cobb/Gwinnett as Atlanta’s Ft. Bend or Montgomery County.

Last edited by DaBears02; 09-22-2023 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-22-2023, 11:10 AM

1,204 posts, read 796,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
True. I’d say the same with Fort Bend County in Houston too. How is Cobb County a core county and Fort Bend not when A) Sugar Land and Marietta are pretty much the same distance from DT Houston/DT ATL and B) the stretch from downtown Houston to Sugar Land is significantly denser all the way there.

And I also disagree with their idea that people in Houston see Harris County the same way people in Atlanta see the combo of Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, Cobb, and Clayton counties. People in Houston would see counties like Cobb/Gwinnett as Atlanta’s Ft. Bend or Montgomery County.
It's all perception.

I would say about 80% of Gwinnett County is "developed" while maybe 40% of Fort Bend County TX is, yet the latter is twice the area of the former, and the "developed" area total is the same between the two.

Small County size in GA makes apples-to-apples comparison difficult.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:42 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
It's all perception.

I would say about 80% of Gwinnett County is "developed" while maybe 40% of Fort Bend County TX is, yet the latter is twice the area of the former, and the "developed" area total is the same between the two.

Small County size in GA makes apples-to-apples comparison difficult.
You think the developed area between downtown Houston and Sugarland is the same as Downtown Atlanta and say Lawrenceville or Duluth?

I definitely agree that a larger proportion of Gwinnett is more developed overall, but I agree with Dabears that the in-between areas are less consistently developed. Resident09 radius thread shows how evenly developed Houston is in comparison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.