Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 03:33 PM

542 posts, read 1,682,510 times

Advertisements

Have you ever visited a city and felt either positive or negative vibes? If so, which ones gave off positive energy and which ones gave off negative energy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 04:33 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Not sure if there are more "positive" places on the globe, US, elsewhere or the way we react to a place, our interaction with it makes it so. But, I'm leaning toward believing that certain cities or places are more positive or negative for some unknown reason. Do people of a certain vibe move to certain places and create the vibe or does the place's vibe create positive or negative people? Very interesting topic to me.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:34 AM

97 posts, read 160,088 times
D.C. felt weird to me. Not sure if it was negative, but just weird. LA felt too fake and too much "paradise" that it was wrong in everyday.

Some positive vibe cities are New Orleans, and San Diego.

There are a lot of cities I've been too where there wasn't a vibe and it was just neutral. Like Anchorage, Alaska; and Durango, Colorado.

Do airports count? lol

Old 08-12-2013, 11:15 AM

390 posts, read 940,577 times
I believe the inhabitants of a city give off that kind of energy.

With some cities I've visited on the West Coast, I felt as though many people were high on drugs or just way too "out there". I felt uncomfortable.

Charleston, SC gave off a very positive vibe for me, as did Raleigh, NC. People were friendly and happy.

Atlanta also gave off a negative vibe for some reason...I felt unsafe.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:28 PM

211 posts, read 519,135 times
Atlanta and LA gives me negative energy, and Boston and Anchorage as well as Juneau gave me positive energy.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:59 PM

549 posts, read 848,133 times
I've met many people who've said that Cincinnati gives off negative energy. As an outsider who moved here seven years ago, I now understand that the people of Cuncinnati are just incredibly direct. They will tell you to your face that your makeup is ugly or if they don't like your style. However, they will also tell you when the opposite is true, when you're having a good day.

I've learned to love this directness as it makes friendships stronger, however I'd imagine its difficult for a visitor to appreciate.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
I've felt good and bad vibes in just about every city I've been to. Then it's up to us on which ones we'd rather focus on. Quite frankly if I've put the time and energy into getting a to certain city I'd rather focus on the positive aspects of it even if it requires a little more effort. Some places are easier than others, sure. However both positive and negative vibes are in abundant supply in just about any city. It's our decision to make whether to focus on either the good or bad (or both).

Also for most cities, it largely depends on what neighborhood. I'm not a huge fan of Dallas for instance, though there were definitely neighborhoods there that gave off good vibes. Seattle and Montreal are among my favorite cities, but there were some areas there that were a bit repulsive to me as well.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-12-2013 at 11:05 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 10:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Do you mean like the psychomagnotheric slime that grew in NYC's old pneumatic transit lines and got crazier the more people in the city gave off bad vibes? Are you attempting to control this slime like a sloar, scourge of carpathia or sorrow of moldovia?

Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
True Caphillsea77 about neighborhoods. I've lived in neighborhoods that had such strong vibes--positive or negative. Must be all people w/ a certain vibe move there? Strange phenomenon, but real!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:34 AM

654 posts, read 1,909,119 times
I felt DFW and Houston were both strongly positive energy cities. Both very dynamic, high growth cities with bright futures. You can feel their energy.

I found Los Angeles much less positive than I was expecting. I'm not sure why. It wasn't bad, just not what I expected it to be.

I felt the least positive energy in St Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.