Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 11:55 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times

Advertisements

Not much overlap between here and New Hampshire. But comparing a city to a state is a but strange. Cleveland is certainly a far superior place to Manchester, which is as close as NH gets to Cleveland (not very close). Portsmouth on the other hand might be one if the most pleasant places in the USA imo. Apples to oranges though. If you want small towns (especially the Portsmouthesque ones) in a more rural setting near mountains, hard to say you can find that anywhere but New Hampshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 12:34 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,446,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
I was in Asiatown last week with my wife and daughter and as we were walking from our car, we heard a gunshot extremely close to us - couldn't have been more than a few blocks away. We live on the edge of Shaker Heights and hear gunshots from here sometimes as well.
When I was a kid in the 1950s, a large Sears store was located between Carnegie and Chester. It was incorporated into the old Play House complex and now is owned by the Cleveland Clinic. It was a different time, and, as I remember it, a person was running away from a police officer across Chester and the officer shot the person in the back. That's thankfully the only gun shot I've heard or seen in Cleveland, despite working downtown for several years and still visiting regularly. There are other noises, such as car backfires, that often are mistaken for gun shots.

I go to Asiatown 5-10 times a year, usually either Li Wah or Superior Pho.

I'm not denying that there's too much gun violence in Cleveland and much of the U.S.

Quote:
I work in the healthcare field, and each major hospital (UH, Cleveland Clinic, Metro) has a nonnegotiable noncompete clause and pays a sub-market salary, so basically medical staff cannot switch hospitals for a better salary. I would say my pay is about 25% lower than salaries around Columbus or Cincinnati, or the Midwest as a whole.
I would like to see that 25 percent statistic documented as it doesn't make any economic sense for several reasons. The following study says primary physician pay in Cleveland is higher than in Austin, Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, Denver, Kansas City, Detroit and several other cities. Columbus primary physician salaries are less than 2 percent higher and Cincinnati primary physician pay is less than 7 percent higher.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.doximity...ort_round4.pdf

Not bad given Cleveland's lower housing prices than likely in most if not all of these cities.

I didn't research other medical salaries, partially because my understanding is that the shortage of primary care physicians is among the most critical in medical care.

I also would note that northeast Ohio likely has massive educational training of nurses compared to many areas. Unlike in most of the rest of Ohio, tax levies subsidize our Greater Cleveland community colleges (another reason that real estate taxes are higher in Greater Cleveland than in Cincinnati or Columbus) which train many medical professionals in the region. Kent State, when I last checked many years ago, had the largest nursing program in the country (it claims to be "one of the largest" today), with a much larger enrollment than in the highly selective Ohio State undergraduate program. Other northeast Ohio universities also offer nursing programs, which are very expensive for universities to offer relative to other majors.

https://www.kent.edu/nursing

https://www.cleveland.com/architectu...nnovation.html

https://www.csuohio.edu/architect/ce...al-professions

https://www.lakelandcc.edu/web/about...ng-departments

So it wouldn't surprise me if Greater Cleveland has a relatively hefty supply of medical professionals compared to other metropolitan areas.

Quote:
The other thing is that our taxes are really, really high. I think 8% sales tax, ~4% state income tax, 2.5% city tax, and another 1%-ish to Shaker Heights is unreasonably high for a city like Cleveland. Even New York City's sales tax is 8.75%. My taxes on a $250k home in Shaker Heights is around $10k/year. The cost of a home in Cleveland is low, but everything else feels expensive due to high taxes.
Many Greater Cleveland suburbs have much lower real estate tax rates than Shaker Hts. Yet many of the houses in SH sell well below replacement cost with craftmanship and materials not generally available elsewhere. The opportunity cost of not paying the price of similar homes in other markets more than pays for the higher taxes in SH, especially considering amenities such as off-street garbage collection (how much extra does this cost per household annually?), very good recreation amenities, and relatively high per pupil student expenditures.

Compared to many other communities, Cuyahoga County well funds social needs (even homeless shelter) and has a relatively robust mass transit system, of which SH is one of the prime beneficiaries with two rail rapid systems serving the city. Taxes are higher in other major cities and in some very populous states. Greater Cleveland and Ohio generally has better funded retirement systems than many states, especially Illinois and Chicago. Paying as you go is a better policy in the long run, but no longer is the norm in the U.S., especially with the federal government running $1 trillion cash deficits and massively larger accrual basis deficits. At some point the Piper will be paid, and the bill due in Greater Cleveland will not be as significant as elsewhere.

I've never understood how New Hampshire public finances work, but I suspect at a minimum public employees including school teachers have much lower compensation, especially including benefits. Social services also probably are inferior. There's probably a detailed study available, but I don't have time to research it. I would go bat nuts living in NH.

Good luck!

Last edited by WRnative; 12-05-2019 at 01:21 PM..

Old 12-09-2019, 08:16 AM

227 posts, read 198,474 times
Well, I wrote out a detailed reply to you OP and then I checked your post history to see where you were from... and I found:

Quote:
Its a classic old white suburban neighborhood, until the blacks came. It became crap after that. Just telling the truth folks.
Mmmmm... yeah. Makes sense now.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:49 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
Well, I wrote out a detailed reply to you OP and then I checked your post history to see where you were from... and I found:

/thread

Old 12-10-2019, 10:24 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,108,229 times
Quote:

I didn't catch that quote from the OP... disappointing.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:23 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,044,183 times
Quote:

That's ugly.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:59 PM

31 posts, read 22,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Many of these areas are rapidly gentrifying. I was shocked by Morningside Hts. in NYC in the 1970s given its proximity to Columbia. Now look at it.

I don't understand this comment. Compared with other urban areas with the quality and number of attractions available in Cleveland, things here are quite compact. E.g., three pro sports venues downtown and most top cultural institutions short walks from each other in University Circle. Part of your perceived problem may be living in Mayfield and having to use local roads rather than freeways to get to destinations. Other suburbs have better access to freeways.

You might be located near older Giant Eagle stores. Newer ones, especially Market District stores, aren't much different than Kroger stores, apart from house brands, including new Krogers that I've seen in Columbus. There's a Market District in Solon. Also, the new Greater Cleveland Meijer stores are quite nice.

Marc's is a deep discount operation. It's even often cheaper than Aldi's. Kroger and GE prices are significantly higher, which matters to many people.

The zoo is free to Cuyahoga County residents on Mondays. It may be crowded. General admission to the Cleveland Museum of Art always is free. Given the caliber of both institutions, where did you live that offered better values? Only Washington, DC, where the federal government greatly subsidizes Smithsonian operations, comes to my mind. E.g, the Smithsonian's National Zoo has free admission.

In Cleveland, memberships to the art museum or natural history museum probably make the most sense, especially if you have children who utilize programs at both locations.

Actually, there's an effective duopoly between the CC system and University Hospitals system.

Size provides top-notch specialization and quality. If you check out Medicare hospital ratings, you likely won't find a community with the number of higher rated hospitals. I frequently visit Cleveland Clinic facilities, including the main campus, and I find them very convenient especially for the quality of service offered.

This complaint seems, frankly, weird.

I don't know about the Monsters, but most Cleveland pro sports tickets are very cheap, especially if you become proficient at using stubhub.com for the right games. Washington DC has great amenities, directly or indirectly financed by the rest of the U.S. In coming decades, this situation may be flipped on its head. And housing is much more expensive in Greater Washington than in Cleveland.

A friend of mine who lives in Greater Washington recently noted that Alexandria already was experiencing days of sunny day flooding. I hadn't realized that the area is at sea level, problematic with the amounts of sea level rise expected in coming decades.

Cleveland's climate is much more mild than several decades ago, but I can understand your concerns. Many Greater Clevelanders enjoy four seasons of weather, and especially detest the oppressive humidity and temperatures found in southern cities, even relative to a city as far north as Washington. Again, in coming decades, this difference will become more extreme with warming oceans.

https://weatherspark.com/y/18154/Ave...tions-Humidity

https://weatherspark.com/y/20957/Ave...ections-Clouds

I don't know about Valley View. Cleveland has had massive investment in its cultural institutions in this century and in its metroparks.

You might be happier in a different suburb, such as Mentor, Westlake or Solon, where growth and investment has been much higher than in the older Mayfield area. Mentor has a new GE and Meijer that just opened this year.

Again, your comparisons seem to be with Washington, DC, where there has been a boom economy greatly due to the federal government's transition to an emphasis on partisan lobbying and massive deficit spending (grab the goodies while the getting is good). Especially with the onslaught of man-made climate change, the inevitable revolt of the American people will probably turn the DC economy on its head in coming decades. The demand on federal resources will be overwhelming, and it's already evident that nobody wants to pay the tab any longer, especially not the uber-wealthy.
I just recently moved to Pittsburgh and UPMC has an even greater monopoly over healthcare here than ccf in Cleveland. Cleveland has atleast 5 hospital systems that I can think of. Pittsburgh has two that I can think of and UMPC is about 95% of that.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandguy88 View Post
I just recently moved to Pittsburgh and UPMC has an even greater monopoly over healthcare here than ccf in Cleveland. Cleveland has atleast 5 hospital systems that I can think of. Pittsburgh has two that I can think of and UMPC is about 95% of that.
Nobody moving to the City of Cleveland or Greater Cleveland should have any regrets about the likely very increased quality of medical care available.

Also, the CCF doesn't have a monopoly. E.g., University Hospitals has 9 emergency rooms and one trauma center in northeast Ohio. The UH main campus offers a Level 1 trauma center (see discussion below), but isn't listed as such by UH at this link.

https://www.uhhospitals.org/services...ices/locations

Recently I looked up the Medicare rating for UPMC Shadyside, the main hospital in the UPMC system ranked by U.S. News & World Report as 15th best in the U.S. It very surprisingly only had a 1 Medicare rating, the lowest possible, given to less than 7 percent of the nation's hospitals. My local hospital has a 2 rating, and I would seek to avoid it for elective surgery because of my personal knowledge of outcomes and even my personal physician's recommendations.

The UH main campus has a 4 rating and the CCF main campus has a 5 rating, the best and conferred on less than 7 percent of the nation's hospitals. The UH St. John Medical Center in Westlake and the UH Parma Medical Center have 5-star ratings. Metrohealth's main campus only has a 2-star rating. The following search utilizes a 100-mile radius.

https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcom...ng=-81.6954088

Greater Cleveland has 7 Medicare five-star hospitals in 2019, more than in many states. Only 4 of the 7 were in the CCF system. So competition apparently does have it rewards. It also makes me wonder what would happen if the U.S. adopted a non-competitive national health care system, even though such a system likely would be cheaper by eliminating competitive redundancies.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...l#post54753538

St. Clair Hospital is the only 5-star rated hospital in Pittsburgh.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...-from-cms.html

The following search utilizes a 100-mile radius distance from Pittsburgh. Several of the 4-star hospitals actually are in Ohio. I wonder if some difference in state aid between Ohio and PA, perhaps in Medicaid plans, impacts these Medicare hospital ratings.

https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcom...ng=-79.9958864

The main campuses of UH and Metrohealth offer the only Level 1 adult trauma centers in Greater Cleveland. UH Rainbow offers the only Level 1 pediatric trauma center in Greater Cleveland.

https://ohiofacs.org/ocot-about/ocot...rauma-centers/

BTW, you may be especially qualified, at least eventually, to offer some informed perspectives (and some sanity) on this thread's Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh discussions.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...mes-close.html

Last edited by WRnative; 12-11-2019 at 04:49 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post

5. ….What about parking too such as the Rock Hall? First world problem there admittedly. Got Zoo pass right now. Pretty cool place.
Parking is relatively cheap in downtown Cleveland compared to other major cities, most especially if you're willing to walk a little bit.

E.g., parking on Prospect Ave. for Indians games is generally $10, or less if willing to walk further (across from the Wolstein Center). From around East 17th St., it's about a pleasant 10-minute walk (down Bolivar Road past the Grays Armory).

For the Rock Hall, the MUNY lot apparently is $4 even during weekdays.

https://en.parkopedia.com/parking/lo...g=201912110930

Parkopedia is a good resource.

Parking in the lots immediately west of Public Square for Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse or Progressive Field often is relatively cheap at nights or on weekends. In bad weather, go through Tower City to the RTA Walkway.

Sports teams | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Old 12-12-2019, 02:53 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I moved to the Cleveland metro area earlier this year. Did it by choice...
And here I thought the only people who voluntarily moved to Cleveland were in the Federal Witness Relocation Program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland