Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:39 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times

Advertisements

I guess we got punk'd by the "how do you keep the cat out from under the bed person." I thought it was a little nutz, but I didn't really get the joke until I read the link (posted below) that was cited by the OP.

Good joke.

Facts About Tuxedo Cats

Researched and verified by Dr. Magrathea Wallace aka Maggie

By Franny Syufy, About.com Guide

Filed In:

1. Cat Breeds
  2. > Coat Color Patterns / Types

I was amazed and mystified to read some of these facts, although friends owned by tuxedos may agree with many of them. Thanks to Dr. Wallace and her personal assistant, Randy Wallace, for taking the time to assemble and submit these facts. The truth will become clear, as you read further. One fact, which is indisputable, is that tuxedo cats are stunning, with their white bibs and spats against their sleek black coats and tails. The combination, of course, is how the term "tuxedo" was first coined.

1. Superior Intelligence of Tuxedo Cats

Photo Credit: © Randy Wallace
Tuxedo cats (or TCs) are significantly more intelligent than regular cats (including all other breeds and varieties). Research indicates that this difference may be as great as 200%.Other cats living in the same households as TCs benefit from this and may see temporary increases in intelligence of 5-10%.

2. Environment of the Tuxedo Cat

People who have agreed to serve TCs as food providers and toy throwers are more attractive than the average humans.Dogs are afraid of TCs.
People who win lotteries are statistically more likely to live with TCs.
Plants grown in houses where TCs reside are healthier and generally 20-50% larger than plants in non-TC households.

3. Tuxedo Cats and the Arts

In recognition of their formal attire, tuxedo cats are the only felines admitted to performances of the metropolitan opera.The musical style known as 'The Blues' is widely acknowledged as the being inspired by the nighttime serenades of lovesick tuxies.
William Shakespeare owned a tuxedo cat, as did Beethoven and Sir Isaac Newton.
In the original "Lassie" stories, Lassie was a tuxedo cat. The role was re-cast as a Collie after no TC willing to accept the role could be found. They all refused the role as 'undignified' and 'demeaning.'

4. Tuxedo Cat Popularity

"Tuxedo Cat" is the most googled term on the Internet after "Paris Hilton" and "Free P*rn."Franny's Note: In deference to various "spam blockers," the inserted asterisk is mine. While I did not verify the claim of "most googled term," I did find out one interesting fact. Under search results, "Tuxedo Cats" garnered 377,000 results, while "Paris Hilton" yielded 71,200,000 results. I take this as a vivid testimony to the discerning selectivity of tuxedo cats and their fans; proof that TCs are not hungry for fame.

5. Tuxedo Cats in History

Over 70% of all the cats pictured in Egyptian royal tombs are tuxedo cats.The first cat in the new world was a Tuxedo cat named Asgerd who accompanied (some literature indicates she led) early Viking expeditions to the North American continent.
A TC named Buster flew 17 combat missions over Europe with the US Eighth Air Force during WW II. He was shot down in January 1944 and spent the remainder of the war in a German Prisoner of War camp, where he was credited with improving the standard of living through his diligent rodent control efforts.

6. Richest Cat

The largest inheritance ever left to a cat (over $6.3 million) was left to a tuxedo cat named Sparky in 1998.
7. Tuxedo Cat Olympic Medalist

A TC earned an Olympic silver medal in the 1960 winter Olympics as a member of the Swiss four man (three man and one cat) bobsled team.Franny's Note: The award is still under dispute after a protest was filed by the Alaskan team, which consisted of three men and a Malamute dog. They claimed that the TCs raised tail created a favorable windspeed factor, which gave an unfair advantage to the Swiss team.

8. Tuxedo Cats in Exploration

A TC named Roderick is the only feline ever to climb Mt. Everest. NASA is making plans to allow a tuxedo cat to be the first pet on the Moon, with studies indicating that TCs are also well suited for the Mars missions.

9. Other Amazing Facts About Tuxedo Cats

Tuxedo cats can, in an emergency, drive a car.When a full moon occurs on the vernal or diurnal equinox, TCs can become invisible.
As kittens, tuxies will open their eyes 24 hours before regular cats.
Tuxedos are the best swimmers in the feline family, but they will shun forever any who human who puts them in the water.
Tuxedo cats can add single digit numbers and perform simple integrations.
TCs can see infrared light.
Franny's Note: I hope you enjoyed Dr. Magrathea's highly interesting and unusual facts about these highly beautiful cats we call "Tuxedos." If you haven't already figured it out, you will be able to see Magrathea's photo in a brand new 2008 Tuxedo Cats Picture Gallery.
All material used here © Magrathea and Randy Wallace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 05:24 PM

698 posts, read 2,840,615 times
We had this issue with our cats in the past.

Later, I had an idea to remove the dust ruffle on the bed. This stopped the behavior and my guess was that it was because they could be seen without it. I don't know if you have a dust ruffle or not but it's worth a try.

If not, you have to either build a barrier (as was mentioned) or exchange your bed for a box platform version where there is no underside.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:53 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Yes, Wilson, we've been had by a practical joker that really is not funny. BUT, something really good came out of this thread! Fat Freddy, who has been stuck in a bed due to a back injury, not only got a good laugh with this thread, but his response made others laugh, AND it gave him something to do today other then just focusing on his pain! Thank you, Posh, for helping out Fat Freddy today! God bless you!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 PM

426 posts, read 1,570,159 times
You could try one of these:

Cat training aid: X-Mat at Drs. Foster & Smith

You can make this by getting that plastic carpet matting that you put under rolling desk chairs, and turning it upside down so the little teeth are on top. Makes for an uncomfortable place to rest. Home Depot or Staples probably sells it, not sure what part of the country (or world!) you're in.

Or: Cat training: Sofa Scram Cat Mat: Furniture Protection Alarm

Thought that might get annoying when you're trying to sleep!

Old 02-24-2010, 05:51 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
People who win lotteries are statistically more likely to live with TCs.
If only this were true.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I was going to ask Neo, my Tuxedo cat and a handsome devil, what he thought about this entire thread but he's at the White House advising President Obama on an urgent matter regarding national security.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:21 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I was going to ask Neo, my Tuxedo cat and a handsome devil, what he thought about this entire thread but he's at the White House advising President Obama on an urgent matter regarding national security.
Let me guess. There may possibly be a kitty treat shortage.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:30 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,359,385 times
Close your bedroom door My new kitty made the bathroom his new home.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 PM

11 posts, read 158,216 times
Garden of Eden, you were right-on in giving your advice, but much too late. I had already bought 10 eucalyptus plants and 3 arrangements of dried eucalyptus branches --- put all under my bed (without ruffles, mind you) and within an hour my cat was dead as a door nail laying on the floor. I took his picture as a last remembrance (see below). Such a sweet kitty kitty "W" the Democat. However, the good news is that all that stuff under my bed did work wonders for my sinus congestion.

But, by a miracle and the grace of the big Cat Buddha in the sky "W" arose from the dead only to resume chasing our red laser light around the room. By the way, "W" wanted me to ask which sanitarium you are assigned to. We could come visit in appreciation of your concern. We did toss the plants and branches --- the mother-in-law wanted them for her stuffy nose.

Ah "W" is asleep again. Company was here this evening for dinner and "W" had his favorite dish -- Newman's Own chicken and salmon. You should try it! Then we let "W" chase the laser light -- would be great exercise for all the obese owners of kitties. As smart as "W" (the Democat that is) is he just could not figure out why he can't bite and chew the laser light. Just slips away.

Who was it who had the very bright idea to close the bedroom door? Wow. You are brilliant. No one else here was clever enough to suggest that. I just know I am going to learn much about cats from this forum's expert participants.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:47 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Wow, you're really frustrated. Is this your first cat? Maybe you should get some fish. They stay in their bowl mostly. Unless the cat gets to them.

This was my response early on. I think it makes even more sense now than it did then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats