Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshQuarters View Post

Should I put obstacles around the perimeter of the bed or is there some easy home remedy that won't run me out of the room too.
The only thing I can think of is a physical barrier such as cutting thin plywood to keep him from getting under there.

Zephyr enjoys some attention from my husband.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/Lottaminya/midFeb10003b.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 04:36 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
I appreciate all responses and I know your intentions are good, but no two cats are alike just like no two people are either. Each is unique and an individualist. My cat is 4 yrs old and he's been mine (and me his) for over a month. It was love at first sight for both of us.

You don't know my cat nor me. So how can you diagnose my cat from another state or another country -- whichever. All you know is your cat not mine. I haven't given you enough info for you to make the kind of judgment you have.

But for the sake of your refusal to listen to what I ask for and what I am saying in bits and pieces of data which is insufficient to use to psychoanalyze my cat --- let's just assume you are correct. Let's say under the bed is his safe haven.

Now my question is I want to prevent my cat and yours cat from going behind my sofa. What spray or what gizmo can I place behind the sofa that would repel a cat, rabbit, or a dog or hamster from going behind my sofa???? Let's also assume that behind the sofa is NOT a safe haven since a dog could get back there too.

Geesh -- the effort I have to go through to get a real answer. Please somebody new answer.

Maybe I need to join a cat forum. Anyone have any suggestions of websites that would give me ideas other than safe havens?

Wow, you're really frustrated. Is this your first cat? Maybe you should get some fish. They stay in their bowl mostly. Unless the cat gets to them.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:02 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,430 times
Quote:
I appreciate all responses and I know your intentions are good, but no two cats are alike just like no two people are either. Each is unique and an individualist. My cat is 4 yrs old and he's been mine (and me his) for over a month. It was love at first sight for both of us.

You don't know my cat nor me. So how can you diagnose my cat from another state or another country -- whichever. All you know is your cat not mine. I haven't given you enough info for you to make the kind of judgment you have.

But for the sake of your refusal to listen to what I ask for and what I am saying in bits and pieces of data which is insufficient to use to psychoanalyze my cat --- let's just assume you are correct. Let's say under the bed is his safe haven.

Now my question is I want to prevent my cat and yours cat from going behind my sofa. What spray or what gizmo can I place behind the sofa that would repel a cat, rabbit, or a dog or hamster from going behind my sofa???? Let's also assume that behind the sofa is NOT a safe haven since a dog could get back there too.

Geesh -- the effort I have to go through to get a real answer. Please somebody new answer.

Maybe I need to join a cat forum. Anyone have any suggestions of websites that would give me ideas other than safe havens?
If the cat isn't doing anything to warrant being barred from under the bed (going potty under there or in your room) leave him alone...my daughter's cat does the same thing because he suffers from anxiety....so he feels good under there.
Sorry you aren't getting the answers you want to hear.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:40 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Those under-the-bed storage boxes would work, if you got enough of them to surround all open sides of the bed.

But I agree with the others. You really do need to give your cat some time to adjust to his new home -- it's only been a month! Under the bed is his hiding place, where no one can get him. If you take that away from him, he'll be even more freaked out than he already seems to be from what you've been saying.

What other safe places does he have? Can you make them more attractive to him than under the bed -- soft blankets, toys, etc. I'm not judging; just asking.

When we first brought our once-stray cats in from outdoors, we corralled them into the basement when we left the house and at night. Gradually -- over the space of maybe six to eight months as they settled into their new home -- we let them have the run of the house. We made the basement their special place, with food, blankets, toys, and lots of spots for them to hide.

If you don't want your cat hiding in your bedroom while you're gone, provide him with an attractive alternative or two so that he'll run there instead of under your bed. It's always best for cats to think a particular behavior is their idea.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
Quote:
...the effort I have to go through to get a real answer. Please somebody new answer...
1. You could put a python under the bed to scare him away.
2. You could mount a ceiling fan upside down on the floor so if he goes under there it will sweep him back out.
3. You could build a little wall out of Leggos on the floor all around the bed.
4. You could cut the floor out under the bed so if he goes under there he will fall into the basement. This won’t work if you are in an upstairs apartment.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:28 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,369,491 times
Anything lemon or citrus scented is supposed to be a deterrant towards cats.
And you could try the big tupperware storage containers (they make them specificly for under the bed) but... I'm with Freddy all the way... building the lego-bedskirt-wall-of-dewm

Anything you put under the bed to block the kitty, the cat can manuver around ya know!

Might I mention - that when I tried blocking my bed from a certain kitty hiding underneath it, he became so anxious and frustrated not having his "SAFE HAVEN" that he started peeing on top of the bed every day until I let him back in ! So take your pick... stress out your cat and reap the repercussions, or pick your battles. If he loves you, and you love him, and he's happy and well adjusted as you say.. then what on earth is wrong with letting him romp under the bed every now and then. The only reason I blocked the bed to begin with, was because I was hiding christmas presents under there, and... gosh, any kitty owner will know what a disasster in the making THAT can be, lol. I gave up, and simply found a new hiding spot, and let the kitty win. (with his obligitory ball of crumpled wrapping paper)

You asked for someone new to answer this thread But by all means, if you're not being fed the answers you want to hear, have fun finding somewhere else! Sorry that I can't recommend any particular other forums. Since I found this one by accident years and years ago.. I stopped lookin

Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Actually, I think your kitty running under the bed may be a sign that he wants to play. Cats are smart. I'm also totally convinced that they have a sense of humor.

He know that you have to leave. But he's not wearing a watch and there's nowhere he has to be so it's...... PLAYTIME!!

I think he runs under your bed, watches you get down on your hands and knees, sees you reaching under the bed and explodes into uproarious kitty-laughter.

It's probably his favorite part of the day.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 AM

11 posts, read 158,225 times
Wow! Nice answers and funny too (last one).

A safe haven is not something my cat seeks out. I know this cat. For instance, door bell rings. It's a friend who has not been at my apartment before when the cat was there. Friend walks in cat comes out to greet him and rubs up against his legs. Bingo. That happens every time someone comes over. This is a gregarious cat not a runner in fear of anything. This cat took to me first time I ever met him. He's my buddy. I specified when I went to rescue a cat that the cat be outgoing and loving towards me, dogs, and children. I don't have a dog or children, but if a cat is comfortable around either of those then he will be well adjusted and not defensive all the time.

My cat is 200% smarter than any other breed of cat anywhere. He's a true Tuxedo. Everyday I am amazed at the intelligence demonstrated by "W" -- this one is a Democat (never would I name anyone after the goofus ex-president George).

Facts About Tuxedo Cats - Researched and verified by Dr. Magrathea Wallace

The above link is an interesting and informative read. Truly, the Tuxedo is the best cat you can own, but still has a mind of his own. I think there is a human being in "W" trapped in a cat body.

Click my profile picture and you will see "W". Gorgeous cat and everyone says so.

If I was able though, I would adopted every cat in the rescue center because I bonded with most all of them. I understand cats probably as much as any of you, but it's great we all serve them. It tells a lot of the quality of people who have cats.

What do you think of putting some dried eucalyptus branches under the bed? Wouldn't that repel animals? It would me.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:23 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,664,291 times
Posh, eucalyptus is TOXIC to cats. Please be careful. Don't use those branches to get him out. You will make him ill in the process.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:27 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,640 times
Dear, my cats like people too, one will stand on his hind legs to smack your hand if you dont pet him immediately upon entering our home...but they like to be under the bed too. Cats like close spaces...boxes, laundry baskets, sinks, under furniture, etc.
As a cat owner you should already know, you cant get a cat to do what YOU want.
If it is that darn important to you to keep your cat out of your room and from under your bed for WHATEVER reason that I just cant comprehend, then buy a new bed. Otherwise, just let the cat do what it should be allowed to do which is roam and explore every part of the house that is safe for him.
And by the way, although your fur baby is lovely, I am sure most of us here think our fur babies are the smartest and most beautiful cats in the world...at least I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats