Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:51 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,369,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshQuarters View Post
(never would I name anyone after the goofus ex-president George)
We have a very nice thread for politics, it's a few spaces up from us, try it! But don't drag it in here.

Quote:
Facts About Tuxedo Cats - Researched and verified by Dr. Magrathea Wallace The above link is an interesting and informative read.
Plants Which Are Potentially Poisonous for Cats
This one's even better! It tells all about how eucalyptus is fatal to felines. Before you begin baracading beneath your bed to fit your own fancies, please make sure you sticky the number for the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center to your fridge.. just in case.

Quote:
"W" is a gorgeous cat and everyone says so... I understand cats probably as much as any of you. It tells a lot of the quality of people who have cats
..sometimes not enough.

The animal control management division here has always made psyche/personality tests for human-to-animal-compatibility a manditory part of the adoption process. I've never understood why, until perhaps now.

It looks like you're new to this forum, so let me congradulate you on wandering into a particular sub category where the general populous might not be as shark-feeding-frenzy as others, but do tread lightly. Everyone here has an opinion, a most gorgeous and most smartest animal, and a reason to dissuade posters from continuing to seek out only the answers they want to hear, regardless of repeated countless objective responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 12:01 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
A safe haven is not something my cat seeks out. I know this cat. For instance, door bell rings. It's a friend who has not been at my apartment before when the cat was there. Friend walks in cat comes out to greet him and rubs up against his legs. Bingo. That happens every time someone comes over.
That doesn't mean he won't want to hide from you when he doesn't approve of your activities! There's a reason he's hiding under your bed when you're getting ready to go out. Maybe he doesn't like that fact that he's banished from the bedroom when you're gone, and is trying to establish just who is boss in the household.

Another suggestion is to put your mattress on the floor, but then you might have to contend with the scenario that MarylandKitten suggested: He might start peeing on or near the bed in frustration.

Quote:
My cat is 200% smarter than any other breed of cat anywhere. He's a true Tuxedo. Everyday I am amazed at the intelligence demonstrated by "W"
Mine are tuxedos, too; that doesn't mean they don't frustrate the living heck out of me at times, or don't try to assert themselves when they know what they're doing isn't allowed.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:25 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
Of course my suggestions were meant as a joke, but they are not too far removed from reality, at least my reality.

A couple of our Kitties like to squeeze under the bed and pull and claw on something. I can’t get down there to see what they are doing, but I occasionally see little pieces of material, so I know they are up to no good.

The other day I was trying to rest my injured back and they started in. Nothing I could do such as yell at them, or shake the bed, or bang on the wall had any effect. They did it as long as they wanted then they left.

As I lay there I tried to come up with some way to keep them from doing that.

What I came up with was a device that I could make out of an air can like what I use to blow dust out of my computer. At first I though of using an air horn but that seemed kind of like overkill, and I’m not sure how my wife would react if I set it off under the bed at 3 in the morning. So I decided on the air can. It puts out a pretty good hiss, and the cats don’t like it.

I worked out a device to hold it under the bed with a solenoid to remotely operate the trigger. The whole thing would be powered by a radio controlled remote switch that I could attach right to the headboard of the bed.

I knew the remote part would work because we use the same type of device to operate a light in the bedroom. It’s a modern version of the “Clapper“. So all I had to do was figure out the solenoid part.

Luckily, I fell asleep before I could get up and actually search out and order any components on the internet. By the time I woke back up, my drug induced state had cleared and I was in pain again. But the cats had long abandoned their mining project under the bed.

I took some more pain killer, laid back down, and two cats jumped up on my legs. Normally I like this, but with my back hurt, it made the pain worse and I couldn’t get them off. I couldn’t move enough to knock them off, and I couldn’t sit up or reach them.

I started thinking how I could build some kind of cage for my legs, but I’m a bit claustrophobic so that idea didn’t get very far.

I was just working up some idea using three dancing dwarves and a giant nip mouse when I fell asleep.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:14 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Thank you, MK, for the backup with the link. As usual, I have information in my head, but no link. I appreciate your help in educating the OP that eucalyptus is POISONOUS to FELINES and will KILL.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:24 PM

11 posts, read 158,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Posh, eucalyptus is TOXIC to cats. Please be careful. Don't use those branches to get him out. You will make him ill in the process.
Who said anything about using them to get him out?

What I would do is put them there before he goes under the bed. Then when he scrambles under there the FIRST time -- he will smell them and immediately leave. It's just like teaching them not to get on the kitchen counters. You fill baking dishes with water and place on the counter where he can't see them from the floor. He jumps up once and maybe twice but hopefully not again. I've read from experts that most cats don't like water on them. And hey that's an idea! Fill baking dishes with water and slide under the bed. Anyone got a dozen baking dishes to loan me?

I would never punish a cat. You train a cat and I've observed there are many books by experts showing how to train any age cat not to do one thing or another that annoys you. There's no poisoning going on the way I'm talking about using dried branches. That's a big exaggeration based on a misguided assumption. I would be sick too if someone stuck those in my face all the time. Not at all talking about having the branches under my bed 24/7. Never said anything about a live plant either. A dried leaf is not alive.

Suffice it to say I won't be cutting a hole under my bed nor will I get another bed or even put the mattress on the floor (how tacky!) . Some of the answers are laughable. Thank you. Next thing you will tell me is that I am corrupting my cat's innocence having sex in front of him. That happens frequently and all he does is sleep next to us purring the whole time. It's not always convenient to shut the door and then he runs around to the other door, prys it open and comes in. He's a people cat and prefers not to be left alone. Fortunately he has no front claws or else his pawing at the door would mar it. And, no, I did not declaw him.

I've read other threads in this nice forum and several were helpful. I've had cats (one at a time) before when I had a large house and several acres. They were outdoor cats, but had access to a screened porch. In the winter my cat had a protected igloo house with a heating pad running 24/7. Each loved it! First outdoor cat lived 19 years and other about 11. First one was a true Tuxedo and second was not too bright, but still lovable. The Tuxedo was a kitten when I got her and 2nd a rescue living on the streets.

Last edited by PoshQuarters; 02-23-2010 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM

11 posts, read 158,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
The only thing I can think of is a physical barrier such as cutting thin plywood to keep him from getting under there.

Zephyr enjoys some attention from my husband.
That is a beautiful cat you have. I like it when my cat wants to lay in my lap.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Well, if that cat is so smart, why isn't he posting the questions about this?

Got to give it to her - he is a good looking cat.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:06 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,369,491 times
Quote:
Who said anything about using them to get him out?
Quote:
What do you think of putting some dried eucalyptus branches under the bed? Wouldn't that repel animals?
You did!

Quote:
There's no poisoning going on the way I'm talking about using dried branches. That's a big exaggeration based on a misguided assumption
First thing I pulled up said:
"Euclyptus contains phenols...these compounds are toxic to the liver of cats. In addition, eucalyptus oil contains neurotoxic (brain damaging) chemicals called ketones. Drying these plants tends to concentrate their "active" compounds, so do keep this type of decorative plant out of Kitty's reach" - doesn't leave a lot of room to second guess!
Just to put this into perspective, instead of drinking the clothes-washer water, you're drinking pure unadalterated bleach, by drying the branches out.

Yay, another friendly link for you! : CFA: Plants and Your Cat
Please let me know if you try to substantiate your theories, by disregarding my "misguided assumptions" If eating dried plants weren't as toxic or harmful, potpourri wouldn't still be at the top of the list, lol.

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 02-23-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Posh, you seriously are not hearing what everyone is saying here. ALL poisonous substances should be OUT of your home, or at the very least, out of reach of your cat! Do you wear glasses? Maybe you don't have them on when you are reading the posts? If I could make the text larger I would but

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT PUT THE EUCALYPTUS BRANCHES ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR CAT! THEY ARE FATAL FATAL FATAL FATAL FATAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:16 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Posh: Please, heed MarylandKitten and Gardens warning! Your not listening!
Ecucalyptus
contains phenols...these compounds are toxic to the liver of cats. In addition, eucalyptus oil contains neurotoxic (brain damaging) chemicals called ketones. Drying plants tends to concentrate their "active" compounds, so do keep this type of decorative plant out of your cats reach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats