Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 33,493 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading all 3 pages on cat enemas. Wow can I relate to all of it. We have a cat named Laser, we use to have a cat named beam, hence Laserbeam, but beam died about 10 years ago. Laser, who is 9 years old this spring is in the same situation as some of the other cats I read about. I've been there, done it all, tried it all. He is on Lactulose, prescription W D, Cisapride and something for hairballs. Almost nothing works. We have spent so much money unblocking this cat. Last August he was at the vet for 3 days, got a $300.00 bill, this past December he was in for ONE day and it cost $200.00. The vet was charging $27.00 for 1 enema, and he got 4 the first time and 3 the second. We are not rich people by a long shot., but we do love the cat and want to help. Then I found a place called Pet Care RX where I was able to purchase the enemas vet's use without a prescription for $4.99 for 12ML. We've been giving Laser enemas for the past 3 months. I must say it is not a nice thing to do but I will stick with it as long as he will let me. It does seem to help him much better than all the stuff we've been giving him. The Cisapride was costing us $50.00 for a 1 month supply plus $5.00 for shipping. This past week I found a pharmacy in Arizona where I could have gotten it for $23.00 and $3.60 S/H, but my dear vet refused to transfer the prescription. I really don't think it was even helping him because he continues to get blocked up every 10 to 14 days. I wonder if she was getting a kickback from that pharmacy since I found it else ware for 1/2 the price?
Well I just want to thank the person who mentioned VetDepot they have even better prices. We did give Laser an enema this morning and he really doesn't seem to be doing to well. He did go some, but I think there is much more in him.
Imagine charging $27.00 for 1 enema at the vets and you can buy one for under $4.00. What a shame. This world is all about the money, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,772,762 times
Okay I'm a little late at the dance here, but I think I can help you out.

It sounds like kitty is dealing with a very REAL issue called Mega Colon. It affects mostly male cats, over the age of 7. What is it? Its a disease, by which, the colon becomes enlarged, and its nerves no longer function efficiently, to 'move things along'.

The primary function of the colon is to remove excess water, and move waste out of the cat's body. Somehow, the mega colon kitty's colon, does the water removal all too well. The fecal matter, dries up, becomes a huge clump, and kitty impacts, necessitating either a 'dig out' (done under anesthesia, by the vet) or enemas at home, to soften up the matter, so kitty can 'go'.

The primary treatment, is medical, by way of Lactulose (stool softener) and Cisipride (stimulates colon to function better). The absolute LAST resort, is a surgical removal of the colon, called a 'sub total colectomy', and its not an easy surgery, and the results can range from very good, to not good at all.

How can you effectively treat mega colon? There are ways to help kitty both medically and dietary-wise to help the cat produce soft, easily passed stools.

Wet food. If kitty likes wet food, its not a bad thing. It can actually help keep things softer.

Water, water, water. Most vets will tell you, the more water your cat drinks they healthier kitty will be. True. Kidneys, and colon, need good hydration. I recommend a great product by PetMate: The Fresh Flow Deluxe Water Fountain. It filters, and freshens kitty's water, and cats LOVE the movement of the water, and I can tell you, my two drink MORE water since we spent the money on it. It comes in several sizes, small to large, and its worth the bucks. Mine cost $50.

I don't recommend bulking up kitty with fiber. Fiber causes BULK. A mega colon kitty doesn't need bulk, they need softer, easily passed stools!

Canned pumpkin, can provide some fiber, but its still a nice wet kind of food, that kitty may take to very well. But use it once in a while, not all the time.

Okay, so how do I know this??? Easy. My fella has it. He's had it for two years. We treat him with only Lactulose. Why? Because for the here and now, he can push it out on his own, if its soft enough. We don't want to use a colon stimulation drug, if he can do it on his own, with a little help in the soften it up department. We also use enema solution prepared by our vet. DON'T use Fleets!!! A solution of Docusate Sodium, and Glycerin, (affectionately called 'dynamite' by our vet) works very, very well.

Mega colon is very real, can be very serious, or even life threatening, but kitty CAN live a very good life, with the right treatments.

Of course, for a diagnosis, call your vet. Mega colon can be expensive to treat, especially if you end up having a lot of 'dig outs'. But with a little education, and learning to deal with kitty's pooper problems at home, you can find yourself effectively able to deal with mega colon, and kitty can live a good life.

I hope you find an answer!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 33,337 times
Default Cat enema the easy way

My cat has a similar condition, regular constipation with the fear of impaction. The best vet in the entire world, Don Betts, gave me a premade syringe enema with enema contents in place. You just stuff it in, plunge it a third of the way (a third of the contents), resterilize the tip with alcohol, and put away until the next time. It's called (lemme go look)..."Vedco disposable enema for dogs and cats".

Good luck!
T

Old 10-27-2008, 07:22 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,428 times
Hi,

I am having terrible problems with an 8 week old kitten I found abandoned by his mother two weeks ago. When I found him, his eyes were glued shut with pus from an upper respiratory infection. He was also severely malnourished.

His respiratory infection is gone after having him on antibiotics for two weeks, but he has terrible problems with constipation. I have brought him to the vet 4 times for warm water enemas. She has given me lactulose to give him twice daily, but it is not helping. She is now going to prescribe him cisipride. I feel terrible about all of this, the poor kitty has had such a terrible time since he was born, but I feel the vet is taking advantage of me.

Does anyone know if cisipride is safe ? Thanks for your help.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:08 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,036 times
I'm sorry Mainegirl - I have no experience with constipated cats/enemas/cisipride, but the title of this thread (I know it is an old thread) made me think of a funny site I had seen: I gave my cat an enema.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:25 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Mainegirl, have you tried feeding the kitty some pumpkin puree from a can? I wonder if he's dehydrated. Did the vet consider that? Poor little things system has had a heck of a time in 10 weeks of life. Might just need a boost of saline solution for a few days to get his system up and going normally. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Mainegirl, have you tried feeding the kitty some pumpkin puree from a can? I wonder if he's dehydrated. Did the vet consider that? Poor little things system has had a heck of a time in 10 weeks of life. Might just need a boost of saline solution for a few days to get his system up and going normally. Good luck!
Hi CoastalMaine,

Thanks for your suggestion and concern. I have not tried the pumpkin purree. I took Max to the vet again last night for another enema because he was in so much pain. She said that he is not dehydrated, thank God. He has also received injections of fluids in the past to see if that will jump start his GI tract, but it isn't. I am currently feeding him canned kitten food with additional water to make the food more of a puree to ensure he is getting enough liquids. The medication she ordered will be in tomorrow or Thursday, hopefully it will help. I will check into the pumpkin puree as well.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:52 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
You're a good kitty mom! Hope the little guys system straightens out and he has a long, healthy life! Poor baby!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
My cat uses 1 cc Lactulose 2/day and Cisapride. Also, metamucil, 1/2 tsp./day mixed with food. Eukanuba's low residue. There's controversy regarding High versus low fiber for this problem. It's totally individual in each cat--what works. Her low residue food is mixed w/metamucil, however, it has worked.
Also, canned pumpkin 1-2 tsp./day can work if they will eat it (not pumpkin filling). Also, fluids given SQ (under the skin) 1 or 2/week can help enormously. Many cats will respond just to this.

The dosing of lactulose is individual, too. Your cat might need up to 2 cc/2 day even. The cisapride is 0.5 ml 2/3 day day 30 minutes before a meal. I've read that both meds have to be given or else the problem is less likely to be helped. I think, too, it's not one thing, but combinations: meds/SQ fluids/etc. I would try metamucil 1/2 tsp. 2/day,t oo, but adequate fluids have to be given. Also, a drinking fountain encourages cats to drink to decrease constipation. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:19 AM

I have some good news to report. After the last enema, Max is going on his own pretty well. The cicipride came yesterday, so I gave him a dosage to be on the safe side. He left me some pretty smelly presents over night. Hopefully I will only have to give him the meds once a day, and then get him off them, time will tell. He's also starting to eat much better.

Now if I can just get my other kitty, Misty to stop hissing and growling at him. We are coming up on 3 weeks of having Max in our family, I wish she would settle down. Nothing would make me happier than to have them both healthy, happy and fully content, the way they should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats