Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 PM

15 posts, read 299,344 times

Advertisements

My cat is a little porker. He was 23lbs when i got him a few years ago. He had always been active, energetic, and friendly to everyone.

About 5 weeks ago, he started throwing up nearly immediately after he would eat. He was going to the bathroom normally, drinking water, and eating normally but would throw it up every once in a while. I took him to the vet and they gave him Laxatone. I said it was not for hairballs but the veterinarian said it would help. It did slightly. Not much, but slightly. It then picked up a week or so later. A week or two ago he stopped eating all together. I tried everything... rice and chicken, changed his food, and even gave him some wet food instead of dry. He ate a little bit of the new food but that was it. The one thing he will always eat is fat free pringles.

He then started throwing up foam, becoming lethargic, and mostly just wanting to lay either on my bed, on the couch, or on the floor in my bedroom. I finally was able to get the money (funds are tight now) to get him back to vet. The doctor said there was a lump and he needed an X-ray. My heart sank and I feared the worse. The doc called me over to show me that x-ray and told me the cat had gas. I was a little confused that not eating, not drinking, throwing up foam, and not going to the bathroom that much (bowel movements are darker too) would all be caused by gas. My cat never had a temperature when he was at the doc. He gave me more Laxatone to give it to him once daily and also gave me an antibiotic (says amox on label so amoxicillin?) to give him once in morning and once at night. Today was the first day for that. He still has not eaten, except a small piece of chicken and just an hour ago, threw up foam again. You can tell of some weight loss, scale said 20.5 but I think it may have been a bit higher cause he was not all about staying on the scale.

The doctor said to wait a week and call him back to update him. Does all of this sound right? Could not eating, throwing up (foam), barely going to bathroom (dark bowel movements), and being lethargic all be due to gas? Can you even tell on an X-ray? He also seems to slow lay down or sit down and he used to just sorta walk around then crash lol.

Any response / advice is greatly appreciated. When should I notice some sort of improvement? What should I do next if this does not work? Should I really wait 7 days?

I know I'm sort of rambling but I love my cat (he's my roomie lol) and want to see him get well.

Also, i think he might be eating or licking his litter (unused part). I haven't caught him doing it but I have seen him several times with his head in sniffing it. I'd never seen him do it till he started getting sick.

-Ben-

Last edited by NWABCS; 09-16-2010 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
I'm so sorry your kitty isn't feeling well!

Did the vet do any bloodwork or chemistry panels? Throwing up foam could stem from a variety of different things, some more serious than others, and it's a good idea to rule out things like renal and liver issues before basing a diagnosis on an x-ray. Yes, gas can be seen on an x-ray, but it's important to find out the root cause of the gas, which can really only be determined through a process of elimination that starts with bloodwork and chemistry. If all turns out okay on those 2 things, it can be determined then that the root cause is probably either dietary (allergens building up and stressing digestive function) or environmental (toxins he might be breathing or coming into contact with in that accumulate in his system, parasites or worms, etc). The ideal thing would be to get a second opinion and have that vet do the bloodwork & chemistry ASAP! I'm also wondering why your vet would perscribe amoxicillin, an antibiotic, if he believes the problem is simply gas...very strange IMO.

In the meantime, there are a few natural things that can help relieve some of the symptoms...

1. Chamomile...the dried flower heads can be brewed as a tea and added to kitty's food and water. It aids in digestion, stimulates appetite, calms anxiety, and helps flush out possible parasites.

2. Virgin (unrefined) Coconut Oil...can also be added to food to help move things along, soothe irritation in the digestive tract, and is good for the skin & coat as well, so even if kitty doesn't like it in his food, by rubbing some into his coat he'll still ingest some when he grooms. This is also a great deterrent for fleas and mites, plus it smells delicious!

3. Slippery Elm...is in many supplements formulated for digestive function, and is a main ingredient in the supplement I give to my own cats and dogs in their food daily, called "Perfect Form" by the company "The Honest Kitchen". All the ingredients in this supplement are completely natural, and it has worked time and again for strays I've taken in who have had issues with digestion.

4. Diet...It could very well be that kitty was allergic to the dry food he was eating up to this point, especially if it's a commercial brand...most all of those brands have corn and corn gluten as a main ingredient, and aside from the fact that corn is an allergen for cats, ALL corn is now owned by Monsanto, and therefore has been genetically modified to be able to withstand their wretched herbicides and pesticicides...same goes for soy, another known allergen. Over time, these allergens can build up and cause a lot of irritation.

I really hope you get to the bottom of all this soon...sending positive thoughts and healing energy your way!

Old 09-17-2010, 06:08 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
If this was my cat I would be looking for a new vet. Please get a second opinion.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:27 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
From what you describe, I would also recommend a second opinion. A gas pattern can be caused by an bowel obstruction, which can cause problems he's having. In addition a cat that is not eating should never be ignored. Especially if they are plump to begin with, not eating is likely to cause hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) which is a very serious condition.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:12 AM

54 posts, read 228,949 times
If your cat was on dry food beforehand, then its what caused him to become like this. Feed a low carb canned meat based diet such as Instincts or Natures Logic. But do take him in to the vet and find out just what the problem is - remember though most vets don't really have much experience in nutrition, health care they are wonderful but not nutrition.

A good book to buy is Your Cat by Elizabeth M. Hodgkins

Old 09-17-2010, 07:15 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
I would get a second opinion as well. It is not normal for a cat to not eat, throw up a ton, etc. Are there any vets in your area that specialize in cats only? I have found that with the trickier cases, it has been wise to go to those vets that only focus on the feline patients. They really know a lot!

I hope your Cat gets better soon!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:37 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
From what you describe, I would also recommend a second opinion. A gas pattern can be caused by an bowel obstruction, which can cause problems he's having. In addition a cat that is not eating should never be ignored. Especially if they are plump to begin with, not eating is likely to cause hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) which is a very serious condition.
I would wholeheartedly agree!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 AM

15 posts, read 299,344 times
I got Mario (Cat's name) a second opinion on Monday at this place near me. They have the best ratings online. They are 5 mins from me. I thought they closed down but they just lost their sign, heh.

Will update on Monday

Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWABCS View Post
I got Mario (Cat's name) a second opinion on Monday at this place near me. They have the best ratings online. They are 5 mins from me. I thought they closed down but they just lost their sign, heh.

Will update on Monday
I am so glad that you are getting a second opinion. I hope Mario is feeling better soon. Thanks for promising the update.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times
I hope Mario will be feeling better soon! Let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats