Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:12 PM

15 posts, read 299,346 times

Advertisements

So at about 5, sorta out of nowhere, Mario started to wheeze when he would breathe. It got worse so I took him to my regular vet's hospital (luckily just in time before they closed). I just got in. The doc had the 2nd blood work that ER did on Friday faxed to him. He explained everything in major detail. Without running major tests, that could total $500-$1000 or so and may be useless, he has a pretty fair idea of what is going on. He is full of fluid and looks to have heartworm disease. On top of that, the doctor also told me that he feels, what seem to be tumors (I felt them too) and at this point even he ran every test, Mario may not make it through the night. They give him steroids and Lasix shot. This should give him some energy and possibly drain fluids.

Also they gave me Lasix and Benzopryl pills for tomorrow. The doc said he is going to call tomorrow and check in on Mario.

He was very honest with me and told me that Mario is in very bad shape and we can really only take things one day at a time, if he even has that long. If the meds do nothing, there may be a huge decision I need to make. Which, while I know it is what is best for Mario, it is killing me. I've accepted it as a possibility but still.

He looked so sad on the drive home and just kept looking up at me. He's laying down now, wheezing as he breathes, and just looks miserable. He'll get up, look around, get up, try to get comfortable, then lay back down.

Thanks to everyone for checking in and the kind words, it means a lot. Most understand and it is very true for me, when I have a pet, he is like a member of my family. I've spent over a grand on and would easily spend 10 more if I had it.

I plan on getting 0 sleep tonight. I've accepted the fact my adorable roommate that used to greet me at the door when I'd come home, greet me at my bed when I'd wake up, and help me drink (he'd lick any cup or bottle that I was drinking from) is going and those days are over. I know it may be exaggerating because I have great friends and my mom (with her cat) is only two doors down... but I'm going to feel really alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
((((hugs))))

Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I am so very sorry about Mario. My best to you both.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. Sending tons of healing thoughts to Mario. I didn't even know that Heartworm was that common in cats. He sounds like he is an inside cat right? They only perfected the heartworm test for cats a few years ago. May need to consider getting all of our foster cats tested and on Heartguard...

Regardless, don't lose hope. Miracles do happen. Hoping you get yours with Mario.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 PM

He is an inside cat. I didn't know Heartworm was common either.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:07 PM

38 posts, read 97,653 times
I'm so sorry for you and Mario. I lost my best cat friend 5 months ago, so I understand the sadness you feel.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:44 AM

First I wanna say thank you to EVERYONE for their help and I appreciate everyone's advice and kind words. I'll copy and paste what I put on my Facebook......

Mario died this morning at 830. He actually woke me up so I was able to be with him for his last breath. He looked so sad laying there. I haven't cried in 3 years. That isn't to say I'm tough but I just don't cry often. Today, I did. Part of me thinks I could have done more and another part of me thinks maybe I did too much and should have had him put down sooner. It comforts me to know he isn't in pain anymore. I still feel horrible though.
Mario was spoiled from the second he hopped on my lap. My mom and I got him September 24th of 2005. In my LJ I put he was 6 y/o at the time so he was actually 3 years older than I thought. No clue where I lost those 3 years. When I came home that Saturday afternoon, I sat on the couch and a face peeked from around the corner. Without thinking twice, he hopped up on me and stayed there for a few hours. He was mine from that point on.

While it in no way compares, I feel very similar to when I lost my father or grandfather. My grandfather's death was very sudden and completely unexpected. My father's death, I knew was coming, and I'd even thought I was prepared for it. I was not. The pain I felt is something I could not even begin to explain. So while this is a familiar feeling, possibly on a slighter scale, it hurts.
There is no one to warm me when visitors are coming and no one to warm up to them when they get here. I'd always said I could be robbed and Mario would still try to get petted as they took my stuff. For as big as he was, he was surprisingly agile and energetic. Worst of all, I no longer have anyone waiting for me at the door when I come home or waiting for me when I wake up. It's dramatic of me, but that makes me feel so alone. Being here without him now, I feel alone. I know this will pass and I'll get over it though.
I appreciate everyone checking in, sending condolences, messages, texts, etc. Sorry if I do not respond. In a time like this, I usually want to be to myself. I work hard to get over things, remember, and if possible even learn from them. I end with a line from the movie Cast Away that in any hard time I've had in my life, I try to think about.... "

And I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

Attached Thumbnails
Sick cat - throwing up foam, not eating, not drinking, etc.-mario.jpg  

Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,091 times
Oh my goodness. I am so sorry to hear about the loss Mario. My thoughts and prayers are with you right now.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
I am so sorry for your loss. Mario knew that he was loved and I hope all your memories with him bring you some comfort through this incredibly horrible time.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:02 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I'm so sorry that Mario didn't make it. Don't beat yourself up by doing a lot of second-guessing. That way lies madness. Mario surely knew that he was loved. That's the most important thing of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats