Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 07:38 AM

6 posts, read 2,116 times

Advertisements

I am currently on the job hunt and about a month or so ago I got a summons for jury duty in my city. It is scheduled for 4/15/24. Today I received an email about a potential position. The woman called and while conducting the interview she said that the training for the position begins 4/8 and asked if I had anything that might interfere with me starting the position. I mentioned that I have jury duty on the 15 and that pretty much ended the interview. She asked me if I could possibly reschedule jury duty but in my knowledge there's not too many reason you can give to reschedule jury duty. It either takes an act of God or military service short of being in the hospital with some terminal illness.

Is it wrong to think that if a company is seriously interested in hiring you they could make some concessions about jury duty. It wasn't like I told then I had booked a 7 day cruise or had to go to my best friend's gender reveal across the country. This is jury duty.

Is there a possibility I could call the clerk of courts and explain to them that I am currently unemployed and that jury duty possibly cost me a job? Maybe they could reschedule it. However, that could mean that if this company does hire me they would have to allow me the time off later for jury duty, with pay?

Your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 07:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have had mixed luck with asking for a reschedule. In the municipal court I told them I was a business owner and could not be away from the shop and they let me off. It's up to that court and judge, no real rule of thumb. When I got the summons to superior court, same request, denied. It's certainly worth a try in your case, but if you don't get this job, you may run into the same problem again with a future interview.

Since in most places the courts pay you some money for jury duty, it's up to the employer, mine does give me the time off with pay but not all do.

Old 03-28-2024, 07:55 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Did you make it clear this was just the call for jury service and not jury duty as in sitting on a panel?

When asked by the potential employer, let them know you will attempt to get it rescheduled but often they require a formal offer letter in order to consider it a hardship cases.

Old 03-28-2024, 07:56 AM

Yeah, had it been the other way around, say I got hired THEN I got a summons for jury duty the job would have to let me go and pay me for the time away. In this situation the summons came first and that is now hindering me from being considered for this and possibly other positions.

Old 03-28-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Did you make it clear this was just the call for jury service and not jury duty as in sitting on a panel?

When asked by the potential employer, let them know you will attempt to get it rescheduled but often they require a formal offer letter in order to consider it a hardship cases.
Yes, I made it clear I would not be able to reschedule jury duty. And even if I was already seated on a jury, with this being a "potential" position she probably still would have pulled my application not wanting to give me the time off. Jury duty may only take a day if I'm not selected for an actual jury, but jury service means I've been seated and the trial could go several days. I seriously doubt they aren't going to hire me knowing I may be away a few days if they won't even consider me if I'm only going to be gone maybe 1 day.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:31 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
They may have set training schedules and many places do not allow for missing training when you first start a job. If you missed 1 out of 5 days of training it could hurt you in the long run.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:45 AM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
So the OP is paying a price for being honest. Had they answered no, could the company have legally fired them for jury duty?

Old 03-28-2024, 08:49 AM

5,573 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Probably, since they would have lied by saying no.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:54 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
The OP does not mention the state of residence -- where I have lived the state or local government allows a lot of leeway when requesting jury duty service.

In Connecticut, the first notice mentions that the jury appearance (which may or may not lead to an empaneled jury) can be rescheduled for any reason at least twice in the coming 12-month period. Other New England states have similar rules.

It's unfairly restrictive to require a citizen to be somewhere at a given day and time, considering all of the long-lead-time obligations going on in many people's lives. Nowadays it takes weeks just to get a car servicing scheduled, not to mention medical scheduling, long-distance travel, and of course work deadlines.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:56 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
In Virginia, my wife asked for jury duty to be rescheduled for a planned vacation. They had an automated system that took care of it for her with no questions asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment