Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 06:06 PM

6 posts, read 2,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Unfortunately, N Carolina like almost all states, provide protection to employees when called for Jury service/duty but provided no protections during the job search process.

Now, for future reference, when asked if you have anything that might interfere with you starting the position, think about starting, not what may happen days later. If they didn't ask about training weeks or working during the next few months, answer as it pertains to starting. Once on board, NC statutory regulations would apply:
§ 9‑32. Discharge of juror unlawful.
(a) No employer may discharge or demote any employee because the employee has been called for jury duty, or is serving as a grand juror or petit juror.
(b) Any employer who violates any provision of this section shall be liable in a civil action for reasonable damages suffered by an employee as a result of the violation, and an employee discharged or demoted in violation of this section shall be entitled to be reinstated to his former position.

And if they claim it's because you lied, just repeat the question they asked which covered starting the position. So long as you had nothing preventing you from starting and you did start, you did not lie.
Hindsight, yeah. I guess I never thought that jury duty was that bad. I could understand if I said "yes, I'm going on a week's cruise the day training starts so can I just start the next week?" or "that's my birthday and I never work on my birthday." Honesty goy the offer pulled. I think I will call the clerk of courts and explain the situation to them and ask if I can be excused or allowed to do jury duty in 6 months or so. See what they say. If they excuse me I'll reply to the woman since she sent me her email address and ask if the offer was still on the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 09:45 AM

445 posts, read 281,087 times
tHeY sOuNd lIkE a gReAt cOmPaNy tO wOrK fOr

Old 03-29-2024, 10:22 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
So the OP is paying a price for being honest. Had they answered no, could the company have legally fired them for jury duty?
No. But if it became clear that the OP lied on the questionnaire (answering no when OP knew that there was a conflict), perhaps the company could fire OP on account of the lie

Old 03-29-2024, 11:26 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
You can usually reschedule jury duty. If not, call the court that morning and tell them you are sick. Then they'll be forced to reschedule.

Old 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Call the court then call the employer. Then post on CD.

Old 03-30-2024, 05:52 AM

1,859 posts, read 837,121 times
i just tell them, I working out of state, the state line is only seven miles away, they just reschedule you, and it might be years before they call again

Old 03-30-2024, 05:57 AM

1,859 posts, read 837,121 times
one times i used the reason, I cant afford the transportation, you never paid me last time, if you drove your own car, let say ten miles to court house, thats twenty dollar with gas and parking, for five days, no sorry cant afford it.

Old 03-30-2024, 06:41 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused24 View Post
I am currently on the job hunt and about a month or so ago I got a summons for jury duty in my city. It is scheduled for 4/15/24. Today I received an email about a potential position. The woman called and while conducting the interview she said that the training for the position begins 4/8 and asked if I had anything that might interfere with me starting the position. I mentioned that I have jury duty on the 15 and that pretty much ended the interview. She asked me if I could possibly reschedule jury duty but in my knowledge there's not too many reason you can give to reschedule jury duty. It either takes an act of God or military service short of being in the hospital with some terminal illness.

Is it wrong to think that if a company is seriously interested in hiring you they could make some concessions about jury duty. It wasn't like I told then I had booked a 7 day cruise or had to go to my best friend's gender reveal across the country. This is jury duty.

Is there a possibility I could call the clerk of courts and explain to them that I am currently unemployed and that jury duty possibly cost me a job? Maybe they could reschedule it. However, that could mean that if this company does hire me they would have to allow me the time off later for jury duty, with pay?

Your thoughts.
Next time throw the jury summons in the trash, don't respond.

Old 03-30-2024, 06:42 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Call the court then call the employer. Then post on CD.
You called it..........3 step!

Old 03-30-2024, 07:20 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused24 View Post
I am currently on the job hunt and about a month or so ago I got a summons for jury duty in my city. It is scheduled for 4/15/24. Today I received an email about a potential position. The woman called and while conducting the interview she said that the training for the position begins 4/8 and asked if I had anything that might interfere with me starting the position. I mentioned that I have jury duty on the 15 and that pretty much ended the interview. She asked me if I could possibly reschedule jury duty but in my knowledge there's not too many reason you can give to reschedule jury duty. It either takes an act of God or military service short of being in the hospital with some terminal illness.

Is it wrong to think that if a company is seriously interested in hiring you they could make some concessions about jury duty. It wasn't like I told then I had booked a 7 day cruise or had to go to my best friend's gender reveal across the country. This is jury duty.

Is there a possibility I could call the clerk of courts and explain to them that I am currently unemployed and that jury duty possibly cost me a job? Maybe they could reschedule it. However, that could mean that if this company does hire me they would have to allow me the time off later for jury duty, with pay?

Your thoughts.
And what exactly is your knowledge?

In my experience, (a couple of trials on which I served a a juror) when you are called to jury duty and ask to be excused, one of the valid reasons is that you are unemployed and looking for work. Another is if you won't get paid while you're on jury duty. You should not have said anything and just contacted the county court clerk after the interview.

Whether a company pays you for jury duty time or not is up to the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment