Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 04:39 PM

43 posts, read 85,009 times

Advertisements

All, would like suggestions as to small towns for possible retirement in the WVA area to consider and visit.

I currently live near Albuquerque, NM, in a somewhat rural area in low elevation mountains at 7k ft elevation. I’d like an area with more precipitation and varied vegetation than the pinion and juniper that’s typical in my area. I was planning on retiring in Colorado, but the rapidly increasing real estate prices, the worsening drought conditions, etc. have me considering other areas. Additionally, I’d like to be closer to family that lives in the eastern part of the country.

I’m mid-60s and in excellent health, which, of course, can change. I like back country hiking and outdoor activities. Don’t hunt or fish, but enjoy kayaking and canoeing. I’m not religious and am a registered independent. I don’t plan on needing a job after retirement.

I visited Shenandoah National Park a couple of years ago and thought the area was very scenic, but I’d like a more mountainous area. I visited Western North Carolina including the Smoky Mountains National Park last year and again earlier this year and liked the area, but it seems pretty crowded relative to what I’m used to in the west, and property seems expensive although it’s still a better deal than in the west. I recognize that the mountains in WVA and WNC aren’t really comparable to the Rocky Mountains in the west, but there is more water and foliage, which is attractive to me. I’d prefer to purchase a property with 10 acres or more in a quiet, rural area. A small town within a half hour drive that has a local brew pub, grocery store, hardware store, auto parts, gas station, and possibly a family practice doctor and dentist would be ideal. Although I don’t fly much anymore, I’d like to be no more than 2 hr. away from an airport, so that I can fly out and visitors can fly in relatively easily.

Any suggested towns/areas that I should visit? I enjoy hiking the many 12k - 14k ft peaks in New Mexico and Colorado, and although these elevations aren’t present in the east, is it possible to get away from people in the mountains and on trails, or do they get a lot of use? I’m ok with snow and cold temps, so winter weather isn’t much of a factor for me.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 04:43 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
I would suggest somewhere in Jefferson County WVA. Not far from major city centers but also still very rural.

Shepardstown has a small University, has the Potomac serving as a border with Maryland and is big enough to have some nice shops, restaurants and coffee.

Harpers Ferry Area is also nice along with Berkley Springs.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:08 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Going to go in a different direction here as Jefferson County has only a small mountainous area which is rather crowded because of Appalachian Trail and it being one of the more developed and populated parts of the state.

I will suggest the Potomac Highlands. The areas around Elkins might be ideal. It is close to the highest mountains in the state, and that general area of WV is the least densely populated part of the east coast (or close to it) meaning you can find places where you will not find other people. Head a bit east to Pendelton or Pocahontas County for fewer people, but Elkins is still a decent sized town in middle of a sparsely populated and heavily wooded and mountainous area.

Old 09-09-2022, 06:36 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Anything Pocahontas County (my favorite) or Randolph County.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:33 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Elkins does seem like a main option, as a moderate size place that probably has most or all you listed for businesses.

I had some good outdoor trips near Circleville long ago, west of Franklin. Franklin is small and Circleville probably still tiny?
36 miles from Circleville to Petersburg (pop. 2250) or about 50 to Elkins.

Snowshoe isn't that far off. Might not be much interest to you, except for perhaps a beer pub or some festivals. Then again, the 4850 ft top elevation interest to some degree.

Folks wanting access to more urban amenities might stick near Morgantown.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-09-2022 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-10-2022, 10:29 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Elkins does seem like a main option, as a moderate size place that probably has most or all you listed for businesses.

I had some good outdoor trips near Circleville long ago, west of Franklin. Franklin is small and Circleville probably still tiny?
36 miles from Circleville to Petersburg (pop. 2250) or about 50 to Elkins.

Snowshoe isn't that far off. Might not be much interest to you, except for perhaps a beer pub or some festivals. Then again, the 4850 ft top elevation interest to some degree.

Folks wanting access to more urban amenities might stick near Morgantown.
These are very good suggestions, or the areas near them. I haven't been to Franklin or Circleville in a long time either, but I don't think either was grown appreciably, both would be very small towns (Circleville being tiny) but Petersburg and Elkins would have the basic small town amenities OP would like. Even airport access isn't that far off. You are probably still 3 hours or so from Dulles.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:10 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,510 times
I would add Lewisburg and Greenbrier County to the list to look at a good retirement community.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:46 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
We chose the northern panhandle due to its closeness to Pittsburg and the medical community there.

Old 09-12-2022, 01:23 PM

577 posts, read 299,783 times
Interesting, I’ve lived in Pittsburgh and sent a lot of time working in NoVa. Big difference in weather to me. I like cooler weather but pittsburghs winrterbwasvway too long and warmer times very short. NoVa is cooler some and can get big snows but summers are too hot there so somewhere the weather was warmer in winter and not too cold in winter would suit me best. I like the mountains but need to be near a good medical access big city.so not sure where would work other than these two regions of WH.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:29 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
All, would like suggestions as to small towns for possible retirement in the WVA area to consider and visit.

I currently live near Albuquerque, NM, in a somewhat rural area in low elevation mountains at 7k ft elevation. I’d like an area with more precipitation and varied vegetation than the pinion and juniper that’s typical in my area. I was planning on retiring in Colorado, but the rapidly increasing real estate prices, the worsening drought conditions, etc. have me considering other areas. Additionally, I’d like to be closer to family that lives in the eastern part of the country.

I’m mid-60s and in excellent health, which, of course, can change. I like back country hiking and outdoor activities. Don’t hunt or fish, but enjoy kayaking and canoeing. I’m not religious and am a registered independent. I don’t plan on needing a job after retirement.

I visited Shenandoah National Park a couple of years ago and thought the area was very scenic, but I’d like a more mountainous area. I visited Western North Carolina including the Smoky Mountains National Park last year and again earlier this year and liked the area, but it seems pretty crowded relative to what I’m used to in the west, and property seems expensive although it’s still a better deal than in the west. I recognize that the mountains in WVA and WNC aren’t really comparable to the Rocky Mountains in the west, but there is more water and foliage, which is attractive to me. I’d prefer to purchase a property with 10 acres or more in a quiet, rural area. A small town within a half hour drive that has a local brew pub, grocery store, hardware store, auto parts, gas station, and possibly a family practice doctor and dentist would be ideal. Although I don’t fly much anymore, I’d like to be no more than 2 hr. away from an airport, so that I can fly out and visitors can fly in relatively easily.

Any suggested towns/areas that I should visit? I enjoy hiking the many 12k - 14k ft peaks in New Mexico and Colorado, and although these elevations aren’t present in the east, is it possible to get away from people in the mountains and on trails, or do they get a lot of use? I’m ok with snow and cold temps, so winter weather isn’t much of a factor for me.

Thanks in advance.
You might want to consider the Oakland/McHenry (Deep Creek Lake) area of Maryland, which is right across the state line from WVA, and about an hour from Morgantown, WVA. And less than an hour to Cumberland, MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia