Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 08:04 PM

43 posts, read 85,038 times

Advertisements

I didn't think MD had any mountainous areas? Also, from what I've read, MD has a relatively high tax burden and isn't a particularly tax friendly state for retirees. Is that not correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 06:34 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
I didn't think MD had any mountainous areas? Also, from what I've read, MD has a relatively high tax burden and isn't a particularly tax friendly state for retirees. Is that not correct?
Everything west of Hagerstown, Maryland is very mountainous. Geographically and culturally, it fits in much better with WV than the rest of MD. I’m not sure about taxes in that area of the state, but typically the cost of living in MD is significantly higher overall than WV.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:07 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Western Maryland is mountainous, as mmccul explains and is just across the river from WV. That is the reason I post in this forum sometimes, the first ridge I see outside my window is Knobley Mtn. WV in Mineral County.

Maryland is not known a friendly state for taxes or retirees, but the details are more complicated. This topic comes up frequently in the MD forum, so I would suggest posting there or searching for existing threads. As for Western Maryland, you are talking about the same vibe as Northern WV and SW PA. Housing prices are cheap for most of the area, you are 2.5 hours from Baltimore, Washington, or Pittsburgh. Where I live in Cumberland, it does get hot and humid in the summer, if you head about 15-20 miles west into the Garrett County the temperatures are 10-15 degrees cooler on average. That said, Garrett County gets about 100 inches or more of snow ever year, so back to the same dilemma.

Old 09-15-2022, 12:20 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I plan to visit family in D.C in the next few weeks and hope to take a day to drive to WVA and check out areas around Petersburg, Elkins, etc. to confirm further interest. Google indicates the drive to Petersburg is about 3 hr. and Elkins about 4 hr. What areas are must-see with the limited amount of time I have?

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2022, 05:49 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I plan to visit family in D.C in the next few weeks and hope to take a day to drive to WVA and check out areas around Petersburg, Elkins, etc. to confirm further interest. Google indicates the drive to Petersburg is about 3 hr. and Elkins about 4 hr. What areas are must-see with the limited amount of time I have?

Thanks!
I guess you mean communities more than touristy stuff, right?

If so, you probably want to check out some of the smaller towns around those places, or pick a rural road to get a feel for what conditions are like at different elevations. Rt. 48 (a future interstate in theory) would be a good corridor to explore. Parsons, Thomas and Davis in Tucker County are attractive options for you criteria as well and all are on Rt. 48

Old 10-08-2022, 07:32 AM

17 posts, read 14,763 times
Quote:
All, would like suggestions as to small towns for possible retirement in the WVA area to consider and visit.

I currently live near Albuquerque, NM, in a somewhat rural area in low elevation mountains at 7k ft elevation. I’d like an area with more precipitation and varied vegetation than the pinion and juniper that’s typical in my area. I was planning on retiring in Colorado, but the rapidly increasing real estate prices, the worsening drought conditions, etc. have me considering other areas. Additionally, I’d like to be closer to family that lives in the eastern part of the country.

I’m mid-60s and in excellent health, which, of course, can change. I like back country hiking and outdoor activities. Don’t hunt or fish, but enjoy kayaking and canoeing. I’m not religious and am a registered independent. I don’t plan on needing a job after retirement.

I visited Shenandoah National Park a couple of years ago and thought the area was very scenic, but I’d like a more mountainous area. I visited Western North Carolina including the Smoky Mountains National Park last year and again earlier this year and liked the area, but it seems pretty crowded relative to what I’m used to in the west, and property seems expensive although it’s still a better deal than in the west. I recognize that the mountains in WVA and WNC aren’t really comparable to the Rocky Mountains in the west, but there is more water and foliage, which is attractive to me. I’d prefer to purchase a property with 10 acres or more in a quiet, rural area. A small town within a half hour drive that has a local brew pub, grocery store, hardware store, auto parts, gas station, and possibly a family practice doctor and dentist would be ideal. Although I don’t fly much anymore, I’d like to be no more than 2 hr. away from an airport, so that I can fly out and visitors can fly in relatively easily.

Any suggested towns/areas that I should visit? I enjoy hiking the many 12k - 14k ft peaks in New Mexico and Colorado, and although these elevations aren’t present in the east, is it possible to get away from people in the mountains and on trails, or do they get a lot of use? I’m ok with snow and cold temps, so winter weather isn’t much of a factor for me.

Thanks in advance.

My situation is quite similar yours. Hopefully, we can get more comments.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:17 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I guess you mean communities more than touristy stuff, right?

If so, you probably want to check out some of the smaller towns around those places, or pick a rural road to get a feel for what conditions are like at different elevations. Rt. 48 (a future interstate in theory) would be a good corridor to explore. Parsons, Thomas and Davis in Tucker County are attractive options for you criteria as well and all are on Rt. 48
I second Thomas and Davis. I think you’ll really like it and it will fit what you’re looking for!

Old 10-10-2022, 11:42 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
WV is almost heaven due to nature. Check out the parks, forests, wilderness.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:16 PM

I was able to spend a day and from D.C. drive through parts of WV last week. I took US48 west through Moorefield, Davis, Thomas, Parsons, and into Elkins. On the return, I took US33 through Bowden and Harman, then state highway 55 through Seneca Rocks and up to Petersburg.

US48 was very scenic with the trees changing colors. With the exception of Moorefield (due to the Pilgrim processing plant) I found most of the towns pretty. Thomas is a very cute town, but small. Elkins looks to have a well developed downtown, but, unfortunately, for much of the drive, it was rainy with low clouds, so I couldn't get a feel for the surrounding topography in some of the areas.

I plan to visit again and spend more time. Are there other parts of eastern WV that I should investigate?

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2022, 07:38 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Quote:
I was able to spend a day and from D.C. drive through parts of WV last week. I took US48 west through Moorefield, Davis, Thomas, Parsons, and into Elkins. On the return, I took US33 through Bowden and Harman, then state highway 55 through Seneca Rocks and up to Petersburg.

US48 was very scenic with the trees changing colors. With the exception of Moorefield (due to the Pilgrim processing plant) I found most of the towns pretty. Thomas is a very cute town, but small. Elkins looks to have a well developed downtown, but, unfortunately, for much of the drive, it was rainy with low clouds, so I couldn't get a feel for the surrounding topography in some of the areas.

I plan to visit again and spend more time. Are there other parts of eastern WV that I should investigate?

Thanks!
Glad you made it. Elkins is a decent enough size town for anyone. Down the road is a nice historic town - Beverly. Not sure you made it there. As far as Eastern WV I've been to Berkeley Springs a few times years ago and loved it. Harper's Ferry also looks nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia