Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 10:05 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
I was able to spend a day and from D.C. drive through parts of WV last week. I took US48 west through Moorefield, Davis, Thomas, Parsons, and into Elkins. On the return, I took US33 through Bowden and Harman, then state highway 55 through Seneca Rocks and up to Petersburg.

US48 was very scenic with the trees changing colors. With the exception of Moorefield (due to the Pilgrim processing plant) I found most of the towns pretty. Thomas is a very cute town, but small. Elkins looks to have a well developed downtown, but, unfortunately, for much of the drive, it was rainy with low clouds, so I couldn't get a feel for the surrounding topography in some of the areas.

I plan to visit again and spend more time. Are there other parts of eastern WV that I should investigate?

Thanks!
I will second the Berkeley Springs suggestion. The town is lower in elevation, but there are modestly high ridges close by. The town itself is centered around the State park in the middle of town where the warm springs bubble out. The water is really good. I say this often, but Berkeley Springs is one of my favorite places. It is a very eclectic place, like a time portal or strong magnet to attracting interesting people, or something.

I'll throw in a plug for my haunts, Western Maryland and the nearby WV counties. If you get as far as Berkeley Springs, you are less than an hour from Cumberland, and a beautiful drive to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 08:27 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Third Berkeley Springs and Elkins. I always soak my feet in the springs

Old 10-22-2022, 01:03 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I will second the Berkeley Springs suggestion. The town is lower in elevation, but there are modestly high ridges close by. The town itself is centered around the State park in the middle of town where the warm springs bubble out. The water is really good. I say this often, but Berkeley Springs is one of my favorite places. It is a very eclectic place, like a time portal or strong magnet to attracting interesting people, or something.

I'll throw in a plug for my haunts, Western Maryland and the nearby WV counties. If you get as far as Berkeley Springs, you are less than an hour from Cumberland, and a beautiful drive to get there.
I agree about Berkeley Springs and Western Maryland. Cumberland is underrated in my opinion. I'd venture about 15 miles west past Cumberland (toward Morgantown), and then take 219-S to McHenry, MD and the nearby Wisp/Deep Creek Lake Resort and Ski area! Then even further south on 219 is Oakland, a neat little town, itself. Several small, and free, museums. There are also a couple of great brewpubs and several good nonchain restaurants in the McHenry/Oakland area!

Old 10-24-2022, 07:49 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
I also find Cumberland to be a little underrated gem. Also some good restaurants there too. Really like Elkins - just wish it was a little easier to get to from DC - not that it's extremely far but we're more likely to just go to Davis / Thomas with the ski resorts there than continue on. There is another phase of Corridor H opening soon enough that should shave off some more time. I'm betting Parsons is the next hotspot.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:14 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
I was able to spend a day and from D.C. drive through parts of WV last week. I took US48 west through Moorefield, Davis, Thomas, Parsons, and into Elkins. On the return, I took US33 through Bowden and Harman, then state highway 55 through Seneca Rocks and up to Petersburg.

US48 was very scenic with the trees changing colors. With the exception of Moorefield (due to the Pilgrim processing plant) I found most of the towns pretty. Thomas is a very cute town, but small. Elkins looks to have a well developed downtown, but, unfortunately, for much of the drive, it was rainy with low clouds, so I couldn't get a feel for the surrounding topography in some of the areas.

I plan to visit again and spend more time. Are there other parts of eastern WV that I should investigate?

Thanks!
Elkins receives quite a bit of rain, but it is a nice town. Franklin is one of my favorite spots, and is close to Harrisonburg for major shopping. Pretty much anything along the Seneca creek area are my top spots. We used to vacation in that neck of the woods every year when we lived in Inwood/Kearneysville.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:44 PM

387 posts, read 470,840 times
This may be a little late, but here goes-
—FACT: Pennsylvania does not tax any of the traditional retirement income funds such as social security, pension, individual retirement accounts (IRAs) and 401(k)s.

If you enjoy WV, the whole Western 1/2 of PA is similar. Pittsburgh metropolitan area has a low cost of living also.
Property taxes are higher in Pittsburgh, which is located in Allegheny County. However, Westmoreland County & Washington County property taxes are significantly lower than Allegheny County. You can find property 1/2 hour to 45min from Pittsburgh, in one of those counties, without getting gouged.

If you are considering WV-look to see what % tax rate you will have you pay for your pension/ retirement income. In 2023 WV no longer taxes social security, ***but they do tax your pension***
While WV property tax is lower across the board, if you are in a higher income tax bracket, you get taxed at 6% on pension income. So any savings from a lower cost of living or lower property tax can quickly disappear if you have a higher pension income.
Knowledge is power-Crunch your numbers.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:17 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,843 times
you get taxed at 6% on pension income

Not true any longer as the rate was reduced to 5.12% in the 2023 legislative session effective for the 2023 tax year. Future decreases will be triggered if the sales tax collections exceed estimates by certain amounts but I do not recall the details of that part of the bill.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:37 AM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
you get taxed at 6% on pension income

Not true any longer as the rate was reduced to 5.12% in the 2023 legislative session effective for the 2023 tax year. Future decreases will be triggered if the sales tax collections exceed estimates by certain amounts but I do not recall the details of that part of the bill.
Is that state tax on the ENTIRE amount of the pension, or only on the amount that exceeds a certain deductible? I would think there would be some deductible that is not taxed at all.

Also, the savings on real estate costs and property taxes may offset the tax on the pension.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:27 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,843 times
Pension income is counted as income like any salary. However, if you are over 65 years old, there is a modification of $4000 ($8000, married filing jointly) that is subtracted with form, Schedule M.

Only the personal property taxes on autos will be rebated by the state. Real estate taxes are not included in the rebate law.

Also, the head tax on sheep is OPTIONAL as I understand it. Those funds go into a special fund related to the Department of Agriculture's dealing with predators. If you don't opt in to paying that tax and lose part of your herd then you are ineligible for help from the Dept of Ag's predator funds.

Old 07-25-2023, 05:26 PM

926 posts, read 827,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post
This may be a little late, but here goes-
—FACT: Pennsylvania does not tax any of the traditional retirement income funds such as social security, pension, individual retirement accounts (IRAs) and 401(k)s.

If you enjoy WV, the whole Western 1/2 of PA is similar. Pittsburgh metropolitan area has a low cost of living also.
Property taxes are higher in Pittsburgh, which is located in Allegheny County. However, Westmoreland County & Washington County property taxes are significantly lower than Allegheny County. You can find property 1/2 hour to 45min from Pittsburgh, in one of those counties, without getting gouged.

If you are considering WV-look to see what % tax rate you will have you pay for your pension/ retirement income. In 2023 WV no longer taxes social security, ***but they do tax your pension***
While WV property tax is lower across the board, if you are in a higher income tax bracket, you get taxed at 6% on pension income. So any savings from a lower cost of living or lower property tax can quickly disappear if you have a higher pension income.
Knowledge is power-Crunch your numbers.
I would not recommend anyone move to western PA. Pittsburgh is not a desirable metropolis, although there are definitely good areas like anywhere else. Westmoreland ain’t one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia