Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 PM

348 posts, read 1,051,299 times

Advertisements

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,588 times
I was born and raised in Washington, on the West side of the state nearer Seattle, you will find fewer days of sunshine throughout the year and rainier days throughout the year. Spring can start as early as mid Feb, but March can bring high winds (not hurrican high but tree falling high). The driest hottest time of the year is mid June - early Oct with July to early Sept having maybe a few scattered days of unmeasurable rain or drizzle and highs 80 - 90+. By mid Oct it starts getting rainy and the wet time of year runs through the winter. It can snow as early as Nov with up to 5-7" of snow (Most people here dont know how to drive in this type of weather as it dosent snow often enough to get used to it). With occasional snow in Feb/March. When it does snow, it can last on the ground as few as hours to 2-3.5 weeks. During the fall/winter it can be foggy, grey and damp and can be an issue for people with sundowners.

All this weather information can vary up and down the I-5 corridor and coastal to the foothills.

As someone else mentioned, there is a reason Washington is the Evergreen state and thats due to the rain and dampness

Old 07-16-2018, 08:17 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanykayy View Post
I meant cities IN Washington. I am currently living in Noth San Diego county/South Riverside county and HATE it, I hate sun actually- but I dont want rain EVERYDAY. FINALLY moving to WA in a few months. I'm just looking for a great city to start off in near Seattle with the least amount of rain. Thanks
Agree with the comments that no rain doesn’t mean “fair weather.”

I know people in PT who moved from sunny CA. About half the time I ran into them they complained about rain and gloomy sky. Less rainy than Seattle is still very rainy to someone from a genuinely dry climate.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:50 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanykayy View Post
I meant cities IN Washington. I am currently living in Noth San Diego county/South Riverside county and HATE it, I hate sun actually- but I dont want rain EVERYDAY. FINALLY moving to WA in a few months. I'm just looking for a great city to start off in near Seattle with the least amount of rain. Thanks
OK, so you HATE sun but want only a tiny bit of rain. You are already living in one of the best climates in the US for mild weather.

Good luck finding the impossible.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:51 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
OK, so you HATE sun but want only a tiny bit of rain. You are already living in one of the best climates in the US for mild weather.

Good luck finding the impossible.
You do realize you're replying to a nine year old post, right?

Old 01-06-2019, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
Oroville, near the Canadian border, 'bout 19 " of rain per year

Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,406,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Let it be noted though that less rain does not necessarily mean more sun in the Pacific Northwest...

Since the cities on the north coast of the Olympic peninsula has a maritime climate one would have to expect maritime weather....
But like one of the other poster said Sequim and PT, some what less, is in the Olympic rain shadow.

For example Forks which is actually in the temperate rain forest is about 80 miles due west of Sequim averages about 119 inches of rain while Sequim weather is defected by the Olympic Mountains averages about 17 inches and PT about 19 inches.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relowen View Post
Oroville, near the Canadian border, 'bout 19 " of rain per year

Oroville like Forks is great if you are in a witness protection program.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:20 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,418 times
All of the Olympic Peninsula is mostly cloudy, all day, every day in winter. Some areas get more rain, all areas get rain, many get snow. There are no dry or sunny places in the winter on the Olympic Peninsula. You have to wait for late spring and summer for extensive sunshine. On the plus side, the Olympic Peninsula usually doesn’t get very hot in summer, but that, too, is changing...more really warm and more humid days the last couple of summers and more days of smoke from distant forest fires in summer.

There may be less precipitation now than in previous years...climate change.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
All of the Olympic Peninsula is mostly cloudy, all day, every day in winter. Some areas get more rain, all areas get rain, many get snow. There are no dry or sunny places in the winter on the Olympic Peninsula. You have to wait for late spring and summer for extensive sunshine. On the plus side, the Olympic Peninsula usually doesn’t get very hot in summer, but that, too, is changing...more really warm and more humid days the last couple of summers and more days of smoke from distant forest fires in summer.

There may be less precipitation now than in previous years...climate change.
Let me start by asking you where do you live?

Interesting post...but I could say the same about New York or Minnesota as all areas there get rain and snow and are mostly cloudy during the winter. I have even seen snow in Phoenix and Los Angles. So what? Did you know that Hawaii's Honolulu in average temperature is 85 degree and gets rain/cloudy almost every day why do you suppose that is true? Maybe because the islands are subject to a maritime climate?

I find most of your post not true. For example it doesn't get as humid as compared to the majority of the east coast or the southern gulf states. And no its not more humid or is it any hotter than the 23 years I have live here in Sequim.

The fact is for the last couple weeks we have had more sunny/part day than not.
In all the years I have lived on the peninsula I have seen very little if any change in the weather. We have hot days and we have cold days just like the majority of the world.

The reason that it doesn't get that hot in the summer is because we live in a maritime climate and reason some area get more rain is because they are in a coastal temp rain forest. And if you think there are no dry areas on the peninsula why does Sequim only got 13+ inches of rain last year and why does cactus grow here in the wild?

The smoke that come over the north Olympic peninsula didn't come from the Olympic mountains it came down from Canada.

About your climate change comment...if the Peninsula had excess rain fall last year I think you would have used the same climate change comment.
I find your post totally sour grapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington