Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:22 PM

5 posts, read 25,756 times
wow..thanks a lot dendrite!well my job now is a nurse too, i will be glad if i can get the same jobs!can u find information about the jobs from hospital or something clinic in forks,seattle or around theres??n i will cek by my self for survife first,owh..where i can get a place for live,u know somethings like apartment or house for rent maybe??of cours with a chip price/month, hehe..!dendrite why every i reply my massege here, i can looks my repyls,n alaways be i looks my replys in another forum?thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 PM

7 posts, read 85,823 times
Default why so negative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
Is it the place for you? I don't know, do you like being isolated geographically? Can you do without access to major services, shopping and professional care? Do you mind living in towns that have struggling economies and manifest evidence of poverty that has adversely impacted generations? (you are going in to ICW after all) Don't discount the seemingly endless gray winter weather and torrential rainfall (as your grandmother likely remembers).
Isolated Geographically? I grew up in a small town, whose economy only recently started to pick up thanks to a large number of snowbirds taking over. Nothing here is close and even shopping here is a good 20 miles away. My family has never been the money type but we learned to adapted (I broke my tail light on my car and we fixed it by screwing a plastic coffee tub to it) Everything I have Ive worked for. The way I see it a place is what you make it. Plus My old doctors would be happy to hear I'm finally looking at a place out of the sun. My grandmother has told me of the weather there, but as most seem to describe it in a negative fashion, she spoke of its beauty.

I am looking to work at La Push, like I previously stated. My grandmother told me stories and even taught me some of their language. She has always known I would want to help people and in her eyes I was destined to work with the Quileute Tribe. As you said Forks would be the town closest. I am not like others who have posted here looking only to move based on a book and looking to take jobs from those already in town. I know how that is. I would be living in the town, spending money in the town, but be working outside the town. I'm not bring my whole family either, just me. As for the age comment, yes I'm 23 but I'm not the type that needs or honestly wants to be around a lot of people my age.

To end this, I have already started research on the area(yes I'm the type who plans everything before making one move). I have also already planned on taking a month vacation to check the surrounding area out. I chose October to go, average weather and during the off season. I can see the TRUE area that way. I would still like to know if anyone has any suggestions as to places to stay. I have researched and finalized 5 different places, but I must say just by doing research I am sick of " Edward and Bella" blah blah blah. Please tell me there is one place that didn't jump on the twilight wagon. Any information would be much appreciated.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 AM

9 posts, read 25,176 times
I am wanting to move there as well, though Ive been in washington before,just not forks it caught my attention because it is a small town! I live in kansas now and have a good size family, is this town family oriented? I am 27 with four kids , im good with jeans and a hoodie and i love the rain.(mud not a problem either) Im graduating in may with an associates in computer technology, what do you think my chances are for forks? any advise

Old 04-20-2010, 09:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,747,876 times
My advice is simple - Before you move all your things to Forks, visit the town first. If you think it's for you after visiting a couple of days, enjoy. But don't drag four children and everything you own to Forks without ever having seen it.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 PM

3 posts, read 11,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealove01 View Post
Well, I understand that Forks, Washington is becoming popular because of the Twilight book series. To be honest, that is how Forks came to my attention. I decided to research on it, but I didn't get very far. Please note that I am not going there hoping to see a vampire, or anything like that. I love small towns, and Forks seems suitable. I stumbled upon this site, and I saw some threads on the the topic I needed. So, I am hoping that some of you guys who live in the Forks area, could help me and answer some of my questions....

1. What are the typical jobs and how much to they usually pay?

2. Are the houses expensive?

3. Are the people nice?

4. Is there alot of crime?

5. How about fashion?

I live in Virginia (the northern area) and moving across the US is going to be a huge climate change, im sure.
So any people who can help me?
I just want to say I spent three nights in Forks while on my way to another city. It is a really small town with not much to do. If you enjoy sitting in your front or back yard playing with your dog, reading a book or gardening then you should be okay but there is little options for resturants and shopping or other forms of entertainment and culture. I'd say the people were okay...not overly friendly not totally rude. I ran into a couple of people who I found sarcastic and aggressive, both women. I'd say the scenery is less beautiful looking than that of other places in Washington. I'ts a pretty dead town. I was at one of the gas stations on the main street picking up juice & cereal and overheard a guy talking about buying drugs over his cell phone...I saw a lot of people sitting around onvthe sidewalk after dark smoking and looking useless. I know that's harsh but I got the vibe this is not a great place to move to. I'm sure it's great for people who've been brought up there but if you want small town, beautiful mountains, evergreens ect I'd look someplace else in Washington and stay clear of moving to Forks. I didn't hate it there but I was bored and I'd never move there. If you do get into Forks sometime I'd drive the 30 miles or whatever it is to the Hoh Rainforest and hike the trails...it's gorgeous.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 11,817 times
yes! i forgot to mention the movie does not look like the town. none of the movie was even filmed there which is important for somebody thinking of moving there(for those reason of course) to know so thanks for mentioning.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:21 AM

321 posts, read 1,136,877 times
I just find this whole thread fascinating. The idea of someone wanting to move to Forks "not" because of the Twilight stuff is just baffling to me. Why on earth would someone living thousands of miles away want to move to FORKS because it's "a small town?" There are hundreds of small towns all over Washington and the rest of the Pacific NW. Very puzzling.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 AM

576 posts, read 2,263,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaythe13th
I just want to say I spent three nights in Forks while on my way to another city. It is a really small town with not much to do. If you enjoy sitting in your front or back yard playing with your dog, reading a book or gardening then you should be okay but there is little options for resturants and shopping or other forms of entertainment and culture. I'd say the people were okay...not overly friendly not totally rude. I ran into a couple of people who I found sarcastic and aggressive, both women. I'd say the scenery is less beautiful looking than that of other places in Washington. I'ts a pretty dead town. I was at one of the gas stations on the main street picking up juice & cereal and overheard a guy talking about buying drugs over his cell phone...I saw a lot of people sitting around onvthe sidewalk after dark smoking and looking useless. I know that's harsh but I got the vibe this is not a great place to move to. I'm sure it's great for people who've been brought up there but if you want small town, beautiful mountains, evergreens ect I'd look someplace else in Washington and stay clear of moving to Forks. I didn't hate it there but I was bored and I'd never move there. If you do get into Forks sometime I'd drive the 30 miles or whatever it is to the Hoh Rainforest and hike the trails...it's gorgeous.
Your experience Friday13th is the perfect example of why multiple people who live in or near Forks have repeatedly and gently suggested in multiple C-D threads that people spend a weekend (or a week!) in Forks before they even consider moving there. It would save a lot of time in most cases to instead think about living somewhere else that that would likely more realistically meet their expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophia76
I just find this whole thread fascinating. The idea of someone wanting to move to Forks "not" because of the Twilight stuff is just baffling to me. Why on earth would someone living thousands of miles away want to move to FORKS because it's "a small town?" There are hundreds of small towns all over Washington and the rest of the Pacific NW. Very puzzling.
I know... there are lots of peninsula "small towns" with the same "ambience" as Forks such as Lilliwaup or Clallam Bay, yet the latter never seem to be mentioned as a place to pick up and move ones family to!

Old 06-22-2010, 04:07 PM

191 posts, read 361,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrite View Post
Your experience Friday13th is the perfect example of why multiple people who live in or near Forks have repeatedly and gently suggested in multiple C-D threads that people spend a weekend (or a week!) in Forks before they even consider moving there. It would save a lot of time in most cases to instead think about living somewhere else that that would likely more realistically meet their expectations.

I know... there are lots of peninsula "small towns" with the same "ambience" as Forks such as Lilliwaup or Clallam Bay, yet the latter never seem to be mentioned as a place to pick up and move ones family to!
actually I hadn't realized until recently that Forks had gotten fame/notoriety out of a tv show (never saw it). Back when I lived in Oregon in the 90s, I went up to Forks a few times because it was the closest place with a motel to the Hoh Rain Forest. I actually liked it a lot and thought it might be a great place to live, if one brought their own job along with them *because* of the isolation. I actually have to disagree about the other towns in Clallam County having the same ambience. Forks was unique for it's isolation. The other towns are in some reasonable distance to ..well ...somewhere else. I didn't really experience anything like it until I got to Alaska (where I now live). I also visited Neah Bay a couple of times and that place was incredibly depressing.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:03 AM

52 posts, read 200,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealove01 View Post
Well, I understand that Forks, Washington is becoming popular because of the Twilight book series. To be honest, that is how Forks came to my attention. I decided to research on it, but I didn't get very far. Please note that I am not going there hoping to see a vampire, or anything like that. I love small towns, and Forks seems suitable. I stumbled upon this site, and I saw some threads on the the topic I needed. So, I am hoping that some of you guys who live in the Forks area, could help me and answer some of my questions....

1. What are the typical jobs and how much to they usually pay?

2. Are the houses expensive?

3. Are the people nice?

4. Is there alot of crime?

5. How about fashion?

I live in Virginia (the northern area) and moving across the US is going to be a huge climate change, im sure.
So any people who can help me?

You do know that the Twilight movies aren't actually filmed there?

1) Unless you have a living wage job waiting for you, are retired, or plan on opening your own business, dont bother.
2) Its not to bad - just google it
3) For the most part yes. Most people who live there aren't sparkly teen vampires however.
4) Not really. Its not NYC or the Ramparts Division in LA, but it has its moments.
5) When you consider its a timber town (even more so then Aberdeen), expect to see lots of Hickory shirts, and Carhardts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington