Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:32 PM

72 posts, read 122,884 times

Advertisements

I think Vancouver area is one of the best places to live in Washington. Especially the eastern part of Vancouver like Fishers Landing, Felida, Salmon Creek, and the city of Camas. Schools are outstanding and great low crime with friendly people. I personally feel the traffic is brutal in Pierce and King counties, especially the 405, and I-5 from seattle to Lynnwood. Just my two cent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 02:27 PM

307 posts, read 1,422,318 times
I only know western WA. I have very specific and personal taste, as I'm sure most people do. So....my criteria were probably different from others. I'll tell you something about myself so you understand where I'm coming from.
Born in Los Angeles, but have lived in Northern California. DH works for REI so he has many options if we move to WA. Currently live in the Pasadena area of SoCal, but looking to move to someplace where its not such a financial strain for housing. DOn;t have kids yet but would essentially be moving so we can afford to have them so shcools and safety and a yard are important to us. My criteria when looking for places was that I wanted something
1. near water
2. low crime
3. great schools
4. walkable downtown with great character (translation--must have historic bldgs.)
5. no Wal-Mart nearby
6. upscale, but liberal/bohemian feel
7. short commute to Tacoma

In the end I ended up with two-three top choices
1. Gig Harbor
2. Ruston (love prox. to Pt. Defiance etc. but not crazy about soil contam. problem and smaller lots for the houses)
3. Steilacoom (bottom of the list b/c of the schools not being that great but LOVED the downtown)

If I didn't have #7 close commute to Tacoma as one of my criteria I would have obviously ended up with a different list. Some of my all-time favorite places in WA are Port Townsend and Whidbey Island. Port Townsend seems like the most perfect place with its historic downtown, close to water, great character homes, rural but not out in the sticks feeling....but that's just my personal preferences. I worked on the house at Ebey's Landing for a few weeks over one summer and the beauty of that place really grabbed me, but I think the area might be too rural for year round living.

I sort of immediately ruled out the eastside and places near Seattle b/c I'd be moving to WA to try and escape traffic (SoCal has alot of it) and a slower pace of life and those areas seem to have a traffic problem. Also....I like the option of visiting Seattle a couple times a month, but don't want to live in that urban a setting with kids.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:01 PM

5,478 posts, read 12,258,014 times
I hate to tell you this, but the soil contamination is not limited to the Ruston area. Yes, it may have a higher concentration due to close proximity, but all the following areas are affected: Gig Harbor, Steilacoom, University Place, Dupont, Lakewood---good grief, there is a commerical on tv that highlights these areas and talks about not wearing shoes in the house so as to not track the stuff in the house, being mindful of children playing in the dirt, people are advised to use elevated garden beds.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:21 PM

307 posts, read 1,422,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I hate to tell you this, but the soil contamination is not limited to the Ruston area. Yes, it may have a higher concentration due to close proximity, but all the following areas are affected: Gig Harbor, Steilacoom, University Place, Dupont, Lakewood---good grief, there is a commerical on tv that highlights these areas and talks about not wearing shoes in the house so as to not track the stuff in the house, being mindful of children playing in the dirt, people are advised to use elevated garden beds.
With Ruston the issue concerns me more than with the other areas b/c that is where the contamination originated and therefore the strongest concentration and most affected, etc. I HAVE done a ton of research on the topic and it's my understanding that only certain parts of Gig Harbor are affected (and not that bad), but that all the areas south of Ruston are affected (including Steilacoom). They have a map online somewhere that shows the areas affected and the degree to which it affects them.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,381,127 times
Vashon Island also has significant contamination because the prevailing winds carried the pollution to the north.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:02 AM

473 posts, read 1,703,478 times
How About The Custer Area Or What Com County? How Is The Crime Rate Up There? Is It A Nice Place To Live?

Old 10-20-2007, 03:28 PM

67 posts, read 256,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkton View Post
yeah, or if you know the person is ghetto and would fit in
seriously..after moving away from Washington I really don't think people up there know what ghetto means. A lot of the crime is isolated.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:29 PM

67 posts, read 256,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
How About The Custer Area Or What Com County? How Is The Crime Rate Up There? Is It A Nice Place To Live?
that area is very nice and would be fine to live in..plus you'll be closer to Canada.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:52 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,845,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitty View Post
seriously..after moving away from Washington I really don't think people up there know what ghetto means. A lot of the crime is isolated.
I agree.

Most large cities have low income areas and areas of ethnic concentration but that doesn't mean they are "Ghetto".

South Central LA is Ghetto.
Hunter's Point, San Francisco is Ghetto.
Central Oakland, CA is Ghetto.
Detroit is Ghetto.

Many large cities across the country have areas that are Ghettos, but I have never seen any place in Washington, including the worst parts of Seattle that would qualify.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:26 PM

534 posts, read 3,113,666 times
I haven't been through Rainer Vally/Beacon hill in about 3 years, but I do remember that area was definitely ghetto 3 years ago.

The city must have cleaned it up like they did Seatac/Des Moines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington