Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:51 PM

150 posts, read 799,220 times

Advertisements

How about a local Newcomer's Club? Everywhere we've moved has one, including Ashland, Oregon, and it's been a lifesaver. If there isn't one, maybe you could find out how to start one? That sounds like a tall order, but all it takes is one person to get things rolling. Some other suggestions on here have been excellent. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 03:32 PM

331 posts, read 2,109,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLambear View Post
I guess I'm a PNW...although a transplant from S.D., CA. Husband and I retired here. Live in Ferndale, WA and love it. You'll find the good and the bad anywhere in the country. It's just that "good" are also broken down into the "socials" and the "nonsocials" if you want to use those terms. There are some in our neighborhood who like constant social interaction...and thats quite alright....my husband and i keep more to ourselves (sort of)...but we watch out for our neighbors....as they do us....we are there if someone needs help. My husband started a neighborhood watch....and has contacts with local authorities...so neighbors call him with questions....or if they need help. I guess some of our neighbors think we are "unfriendly", but the ones who know us...know our style and respect us for our who we are. My husband assisted the authorities to cleanup a problem site on our street (tons of junk cars and illegal meth actions....which it turned out the authorities knew about....and with my husband's help....the junk cars are gone...the the illegal activities have cessed...oh yes...and the people involved are gone. Our neighbors are very happy!!! Anyway....there is really good advice here about where to look for social interaction and relationship building....so good luck to you. The Pacific Northwest is a very,very beautiful place.

What part of SD are you from? I grew up in OB!!!

Old 01-21-2007, 04:19 PM

13 posts, read 85,023 times
Default here's my 2 cents

after reading thru many all of these posts, I agree with most. I have lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area most of my life and also some time in SoCal as well as having travelled to most every state in my 23 yrs of life. Let me preface it by saying I am sick of the NW and cant wait to move. I'm 23 and college is almost done and I cant wait to get out.

The biggest myth about Socal that I always chuckle about is how they are "plastic" or "fake/phoney" etc etc, however I have experienced nothing but the opposite. Sure there are the snobs with their Bentleys but most people down there are really nice and friendly. The avegerage person in the NW is affected by the weather in a bad way. Do not listen to anyone who says weather doesnt make a difference in your life, IT DOES! Sun is the best thing in the world seriously. NW people are closed and distant because of the weather and the fact that prices and traffic are JUST AS BAD as any other major metro area in the nation.

I really dont understand what the big woopty doo about the NW is from outsiders. If I hadnt grown up here and have lots of friends/family here, I wouldnt have spent more than a minute here. Seattle is a great city but the weather really brings down the quality of life.

So getting to the friends part, it will be tough to make new friends as most people here just plain arent friendly. They may not be "plastic" but most are phoney. The biggest thing about ppl in the NW is that they are passive and boring. Most people just go thru their daily lives grinding away not looking for any spice to life. Thats what I hate about it and why I love California. Califonians want it all, so do I. You only live life once so I see no reason to muddle thru life.

My advice is to take some of your passions and look to get plugged in to various networks in the area. There are a ton of great people in the NW, but you will have to look long and hard. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw1283 View Post
after reading thru many all of these posts, I agree with most. I have lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area most of my life and also some time in SoCal as well as having travelled to most every state in my 23 yrs of life. Let me preface it by saying I am sick of the NW and cant wait to move. I'm 23 and college is almost done and I cant wait to get out.

The biggest myth about Socal that I always chuckle about is how they are "plastic" or "fake/phoney" etc etc, however I have experienced nothing but the opposite. Sure there are the snobs with their Bentleys but most people down there are really nice and friendly. The avegerage person in the NW is affected by the weather in a bad way. Do not listen to anyone who says weather doesnt make a difference in your life, IT DOES! Sun is the best thing in the world seriously. NW people are closed and distant because of the weather and the fact that prices and traffic are JUST AS BAD as any other major metro area in the nation.

I really dont understand what the big woopty doo about the NW is from outsiders. If I hadnt grown up here and have lots of friends/family here, I wouldnt have spent more than a minute here. Seattle is a great city but the weather really brings down the quality of life.

So getting to the friends part, it will be tough to make new friends as most people here just plain arent friendly. They may not be "plastic" but most are phoney. The biggest thing about ppl in the NW is that they are passive and boring. Most people just go thru their daily lives grinding away not looking for any spice to life. Thats what I hate about it and why I love California. Califonians want it all, so do I. You only live life once so I see no reason to muddle thru life.

My advice is to take some of your passions and look to get plugged in to various networks in the area. There are a ton of great people in the NW, but you will have to look long and hard. Good luck!

And after reading several of your posts I am getting the idea that you aren't happy... Did I guess that right? I have lived in the PNW a short time (this time around) and maybe the glamour of the place is still blinding me... but after living in So CA for so many years that got old too... so tell you what... You finish school and go down there for 25 years and then come back and tell us what you think about both places.

Yes I will agree that friends are easier to make down there... but let me warn you from experience... be careful because you never know who your friends really are.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:11 PM

13 posts, read 85,023 times
I am the happiest person you will ever meet. However, WA folks are not lol

enjoy the northwest, I wont miss it

Old 01-21-2007, 07:50 PM

63 posts, read 365,310 times
Default Newcomers clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYC View Post
How about a local Newcomer's Club? Everywhere we've moved has one, including Ashland, Oregon, and it's been a lifesaver. If there isn't one, maybe you could find out how to start one? That sounds like a tall order, but all it takes is one person to get things rolling. Some other suggestions on here have been excellent. Best of luck!
I can't say for sure, but I seem to remember seeing one of these clubs in Vancouver way back when we first started looking. Check the chamber of commerce in your city or the Community Center.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:00 PM

63 posts, read 365,310 times
Default Fitting in and finding friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
And after reading several of your posts I am getting the idea that you aren't happy... Did I guess that right?
I would say that you are more the 20-something kid that is looking out at the big, big world and wanting to go explore. Southern CA draws a lot of young people in because of the beach bum lifestyle and the dream of "making it" in hollywood or a singing career.

As to whether you like a place or not, I think that it depends on what that place has to offer for the age group that you are in.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:11 PM

38 posts, read 139,628 times
Oh No!! I am newly divorced and following my husband to the PNW so we can have equal time with our daughter.

I hate to hear what you all are saying. I moved from lifelong home (Fairfax, VA) to Dallas 15 years ago. I have NEVER fit in here in Dallas and feel the same as you do about the PNW...
I'm approaching 50 and am starting life again so to speak. I certainly am assuming I will make friends and hopefully a very close special friend Is this not a good area for a newly divorced 50 yo woman....lol...that's a joke...perhaps Wyoming would be the best choice

God help me...

A.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:57 PM

139 posts, read 1,217,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw1283 View Post

I'm from the NW and I don't suffer from SAD, very active and the people I know are this way also. You talk is if you know everyone in the NW. By all means if Seattle is not for you move on . But don't generalize people here. When I was single I met people all the time and connected maybe its you!!! We can way pros and cons of areas. What I trashing Seattle and W. Washington because it has a winter like much of the United States outside of deserts and south florida??? go to these places in the summer where no one is outside socializing because its so hot. There is only one place in this country that truly gets perfect year round weather San Diego on the beach.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpeake View Post
I would say that you are more the 20-something kid that is looking out at the big, big world and wanting to go explore. Southern CA draws a lot of young people in because of the beach bum lifestyle and the dream of "making it" in hollywood or a singing career.

As to whether you like a place or not, I think that it depends on what that place has to offer for the age group that you are in.
ummm was this directed at me? I was talking to jgw1283 when asking if he/she wasn't happy. My original post was though the people up here were really nice and friendly that it is difficult to make close friends. One can make tons of friends in Ca but then you have to ask yourself... what do they want because for the most part... not everyone...but a lot will be your friend if they see some benefit to them. And not just having friends.

I am not a kid in fact have kids in their 20's... and my dreams of being the beach bum superstar have long faded!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington