Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 02:23 PM

3,662 posts, read 2,941,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Old people are idiots.

(I assume it's say offensive things that are untrue day?)
You must be one of the useless techies laid off this year? Behind in your Telsa payments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 02:41 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,865,758 times
When I worked for the City of Los Angeles (City Hall) back in the mid-1970's, the Department of Water & Power up the street paid very, very well, and many people tried to get a transfer over there. Some did succeed.

ALWAYS look out for yourself first. Always. Back in 1992 when the first big recession hit Southern California, the law firm I was working for lied to everyone and said there would be no layoffs. January 15, less than a month later, many people were laid off (myself included). Don't ever trust management about things like job security, especially these days. Just look at the news last week and this week.

Last edited by pathrunner; 04-18-2024 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-18-2024, 09:02 PM

30,338 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Yeah and you don't need to show up mentally.
Really? Wow, I had no idea! I'm sure my (government/public entity) employer will be interested to know we don't have to show up mentally anymore... might be kinda tough to do my job as a librarian without a brain, though.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:06 PM

OP: Take the offer at your current job, work it until you get that other job secured, and then quit. Easy peasy.

That way if the government job falls through, you won't be left high and dry. A bird in the hand and all that.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:20 AM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
You must be one of the useless techies laid off this year? Behind in your Telsa payments?
Yes! Can you take over for me, daddy? I don't know how to walk without someone else telling me what to do. I am a liberal, after all.

(Why do you even live in this region?)

Old 04-19-2024, 10:25 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Really? Wow, I had no idea! I'm sure my (government/public entity) employer will be interested to know we don't have to show up mentally anymore... might be kinda tough to do my job as a librarian without a brain, though.
Putting books back on a shelf got to be tough. Yeah and stamping in and out borrowed books is the pits.

I am guessing about half or maybe more of government employees could be eliminated and no one would notice. Have no skills...apply for a government job.

Being a librarian is a dying profession...online reading (kindle, etc) is on the raise. I can get more information online faster on my computer then searching in an outdated library.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:28 AM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times
than* searching

Maybe you should go to a library.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:34 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,837,463 times
My advice is pretty straightforward. These days the corporate employers will crap on you in a second. They focus on profits and will lay you off, delete your position or whatever that will increase profits. So with that in mind, employees should now return the favor and do what benefits them the most. If that means taking a job knowing that you have another job already lined up in a few weeks or a month, do it because they would do you the same way and not think twice.

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Putting books back on a shelf got to be tough. Yeah and stamping in and out borrowed books is the pits.

I am guessing about half or maybe more of government employees could be eliminated and no one would notice. Have no skills...apply for a government job.

Being a librarian is a dying profession...online reading (kindle, etc) is on the raise. I can get more information online faster on my computer then searching in an outdated library.
Tell us you have no idea what a librarian does without actually telling us... lol. My job description doesn't include any of those things, so I guess you think the pages/shelvers and clerks are librarians? Well, they're not. Those jobs don't even require ANY degree, while an actual librarian usually needs a Master's degree. Can you take another stab at sounding smart, and guess what we really do every day? Perhaps you can start by reading a few books on the subject, and then we can discuss it a little further.

Even the clerks don't stamp books anymore, for goodness sakes. And we carry more electronic books than physical ones these days, that you don't actually have to pay for - so you're also telling us you haven't set foot in a library for like 30 years, plus you're a sucker if you actually pay for eBooks.

Last edited by gizmo980; Yesterday at 03:06 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
than* searching

Maybe you should go to a library.
They clearly haven't been to a library in decades. lmao

We literally have tens of thousands of eBooks and eAudiobooks now, and actually purchase more electronic copies than physical ones these days. Who do they think processes and curates those collections, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of physical books/media we also provide? And if they think people aren't checking out those either, I can provide statistics proving otherwise... in fact, libraries are busier than ever! I'm at work today, and barely had time to take my break. Sundays are especially crazy.

We're also one of the last places where you can attend community programs, spend all day using computers and other technology (scanners, copiers, etc)... Wifi? Laptops to borrow? Energy kits? Tools? State park passes and museum tickets? We've got those too! And all for FREE. Funny how when they need us, like when power outages were ravaging Silicon Valley all winter, suddenly they appreciate us. And when we closed for 3 months during the pandemic? Don't even ask. It was like their lifeline had been cut. We're still as needed and valuable as ever, if not more so, despite what ignorant people like that poster above think.

Either way, I'm still pulling in a six-figure salary + benefits and pension. So I don't really care what they say or believe.

Last edited by gizmo980; Yesterday at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington