Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2020, 11:54 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Apparently you haven't noticed, but the druggies and mentally ill aren't getting help anywhere in the US, in Rempub-lead cities or Dem.IT was a Repub President, who closed most of the long-term mental health care facilities, and turned people loose on the streets, in fact.
I acknowledge that, I think it was Reagan that did that. Since then, we've also had many administrations of both parties which have done nothing. Democrat cities pass all this money for the homeless, enough per capita to outright pay for each homeless persons food and a cheap place to stay...yet it doesn't seem to do anything and the problem keeps getting worse. To many of us, it seems like a scam. They appoint some huge amount to some city councilman's relative for "studying the homeless" and there goes half the years funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 03:24 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I acknowledge that, I think it was Reagan that did that. Since then, we've also had many administrations of both parties which have done nothing. Democrat cities pass all this money for the homeless, enough per capita to outright pay for each homeless persons food and a cheap place to stay...yet it doesn't seem to do anything and the problem keeps getting worse. To many of us, it seems like a scam. They appoint some huge amount to some city councilman's relative for "studying the homeless" and there goes half the years funding.
Seattle has been giving substance-abuse homeless meals & a place to stay for at least a couple of decades. And yet, the other side of the political aisle is outraged at that, while at the same time, demanding that "something be done". The reason more isn't done is your favorite theme: RE prices have climbed to the point that buying more apartment buildings for the homeless is no longer economically feasible.

Besides all that, the homelessness problem is very complex. If all the people ranting about it would organize, and work toward a solution (assuming they wouldn't give up as soon as they found out what a knotty and thorny issue it is), society might actually get somewhere with this. Or did you happen to have a magic wand to wave, that would fix it?

On another thread, someone mentioned that Rhode Island has a program that's actually working. I invited the poster to start a thread on that, so we can all take a look at what's working, but he hasn't yet.

But I think as long as the severely mentally ill can't be committed for life, and have the right to live in the streets, that segment of the problem can't be fixed.

So, if you do have a magic wand, by all means--share!

Old 10-28-2020, 08:44 PM

256 posts, read 114,285 times
Quote:
Sadly, this succinctly summarizes not only homelessness but many other social problems as well. Almost everyone wants a simple, effective solution but that's almost never reality.

Most chronically homeless persons have acute mental illness/substance abuse issues, so they aren't employable and have little or no regular income. The simplest solution would be to provide rudimentary housing for them, but in Seattle housing is so expensive even for average fol that doesn't seem feasible. So some degree of homelessness seems inevitable barring fundamental changes to our society and economy.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Seattle has been giving substance-abuse homeless meals & a place to stay for at least a couple of decades. And yet, the other side of the political aisle is outraged at that, while at the same time, demanding that "something be done". The reason more isn't done is your favorite theme: RE prices have climbed to the point that buying more apartment buildings for the homeless is no longer economically feasible.

Besides all that, the homelessness problem is very complex. If all the people ranting about it would organize, and work toward a solution (assuming they wouldn't give up as soon as they found out what a knotty and thorny issue it is), society might actually get somewhere with this. Or did you happen to have a magic wand to wave, that would fix it?

On another thread, someone mentioned that Rhode Island has a program that's actually working. I invited the poster to start a thread on that, so we can all take a look at what's working, but he hasn't yet.

But I think as long as the severely mentally ill can't be committed for life, and have the right to live in the streets, that segment of the problem can't be fixed.

Rhode Islands program does work, if you watch the "Seattle is dying" series, they go through it all in detail and even offer an existing site we have that could be used for it.
Some food for thought regarding Seattle. Did you know that prior to the corporate tax cuts, many of the companies (most who identify themselves as Democrat) now building out additional units in Seattle were investing overseas instead? It baffled me in Obama's 2nd term why projects were being cancelled or postponed for financing when tenants were lining up around the block on grand opening mornings to lease new units. Couple that with all the red tape to building and development, it takes about 3 years to go from concept to *starting* to put up a building as about 5 people moved here for every single bedroom permitted. The cause of the shortage is quite obvious.

Old 11-01-2020, 12:49 PM

41 posts, read 15,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4evr View Post
We have been looking to buy since 2017 and are still stuck in the rental market as we can no longer afford the prices. We made four offers in late 2019 on homes and we were outbid by cash buyers each time. We patiently wait and keep adding to our down payment, but the prices keep rising faster. We're asking ourselves daily "What exactly are we waiting for?". We don't want to join the desperate masses who are trying to buy and live here. And they do seem desperate.
Why are you so focused on owning something? Whenever I check apartments.com there are plenty of apartments available in the $1100-1400 range, which seems pretty reasonable.

As a homeowner I think it's thoroughly overrated. Renting is much more flexible. After I eventually sell my place I never want to own property again.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:06 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma4evr View Post
...and WHERE exactly are all of these people you know "getting out" / moving to?

I see the for sale signs; I have been following home sales for years now here as well. We keep asking ourselves where are people moving to if/when they sell their homes? We wanted to stay in WA state - where we were born and raised, but have come to face the reality that there is no where in western WA state that we can relocate to that will meet our needs or that is affordable.

We have only lived in Bellingham for four years now, but our initial love for this area faded quickly sometime in late 2017. Bottom line for us: Bellingham is completely over-rated. It is a difficult place to move to, to feel a part of and to plant one's roots. Housing, medical care, affordability,

The first condo we rented in Bellingham (we wanted to rent and then buy) was a temporary home as the out-of-state owner decided to sell due to the hot rental market. We paid $1075/mo in 2017 for that rental; those condos in the size we lived in are now renting for $1,650/mo. It's completely ridiculous. Insane. The couple that lived below us moved here from out-of-state, bought their condo in 2016 and now have it listed for 100K more than they paid for it. It was pending within a week. The "condos" are nothing more than apartments - several of them are rentals. There are NO amenities that come with the HOA apart from W/S/G being paid and outside yard care / building upkeep. No gym. No clubhouse. No pool. Yet people keep coming and buying. We've had 3 opportunities to buy a "condo" back in the same complex where we rented and we have said no each time. After having lived there (it was okay; but it was definitely a rental environment; not a place to establish a home), we said no way we would buy there.

We have been looking to buy since 2017 and are still stuck in the rental market as we can no longer afford the prices. We made four offers in late 2019 on homes and we were outbid by cash buyers each time. We patiently wait and keep adding to our down payment, but the prices keep rising faster. We're asking ourselves daily "What exactly are we waiting for?". We don't want to join the desperate masses who are trying to buy and live here. And they do seem desperate.

It's scaring me.... How bad is it "out there", outside of Bellingham? Where the h*** can we move? Not much appeals to us anymore.We tried to look into some of the affordable housing options to remain in Whatcom county, but they are either in areas we can't live in (i.e. Point Roberts, rural Whatcom Cty) due to lack of transporation / medical services or we are "over-income" for the programs. There is no middle ground.

Bellingham sits in a beautiful geographic area but, personally, we do not find it much to write home about anymore. It really reminds me of the housing boom in Seattle in the 1990's and the influx of Microsoft employees in the housing market. I lived in West Seattle where my family had lived for over 50 years, and literally felt like I had lost my homeland. I feel like I'm witnessing the same thing here in Bellingham.

I have no right to complain though... I, too, chose to move here and "invade" Whatcom County. My family and I moved here in hopes of planting roots like everyone else moving here. Locals had to deal with our moving here like we are dealing with newcomers ourselves. We just want to leave the area now. It's over-crowded (we'd actually prefer Seattle over this at times; it's laid out better than Bellingham but we can't afford it), it's over-priced, we avoid PeaceHealth Medical Center / St. Joe's hospital at all costs, the isolation is difficult (we've never lived in an area harder to establish friendships in than here in our lifetime... despite our trying - pre-COVID - to get involved in the area). Would love some suggestions on where others are moving when they sell their homes and leave Bellingham... What kind of area are they gravitating towards? That will be the most difficult part for us - we love the proximity to the water, mountains and trees here.
Have you tried looking in Ferndale, and county areas just outside of B'ham?

OP, if your budget is so tight, that the RE prices are rising faster than you're able to save, consider, that once you were able to buy, the assessed value of your property might rise faster than your ability to pay the property taxes. Buying doesn't guarantee that you'll have a place to live for the rest of your lives, or even for the next 20 years, unfortunately, unless you were able to score a property with a rental unit, or with space easily convertible to a rental. I've always hedged my bets, by buying a house with a rental unit or a basement that could convert to a rental.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InAppropriateUN69 View Post
Why are you so focused on owning something? Whenever I check apartments.com there are plenty of apartments available in the $1100-1400 range, which seems pretty reasonable.

As a homeowner I think it's thoroughly overrated. Renting is much more flexible. After I eventually sell my place I never want to own property again.
Because rents here rose 30-50% in a pretty short time frame, and you can count on them going up every time your lease comes due for renewal.
I had to laugh, even the accessor that came to my grandmothers place said they had sold their place, bought a motorhome to keep at their son in laws house, and were going to snowbird in Mexico because housing costs and property taxes had gotten too expensive.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:18 PM

41 posts, read 15,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Because rents here rose 30-50% in a pretty short time frame, and you can count on them going up every time your lease comes due for renewal.
I had to laugh, even the accessor that came to my grandmothers place said they had sold their place, bought a motorhome to keep at their son in laws house, and were going to snowbird in Mexico because housing costs and property taxes had gotten too expensive.
I doubt rents in the entire area rose that much. And as I said, there are plenty decent looking rentals in the Bellingham area in the $1100-1300 range, which seems fairly reasonable.

Rents can only increase to the degree most people can afford and/or are willing to pay. Once this ceiling is reached they will roughly stabilize and might even decrease. This has been happening for awhile in Seattle even before Covid-19. In 2019 rents began to flatten and now with Covid-19 they're decreasing. It seems likely this well eventually happen in Bellingham, and again rents don't seem all that high unless you want to indulge in an upscale apt.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InAppropriateUN69 View Post
I doubt rents in the entire area rose that much. And as I said, there are plenty decent looking rentals in the Bellingham area in the $1100-1300 range, which seems fairly reasonable.

Rents can only increase to the degree most people can afford and/or are willing to pay. Once this ceiling is reached they will roughly stabilize and might even decrease. This has been happening for awhile in Seattle even before Covid-19. In 2019 rents began to flatten and now with Covid-19 they're decreasing. It seems likely this well eventually happen in Bellingham, and again rents don't seem all that high unless you want to indulge in an upscale apt.
In 2017 things really blew up for rents. There were new studios downtown that were only ~400 sq/ft that were $850/month and most people here thought it was pricey for the tiny size but they filled up as fast as they were completed anyway. Don't forget we only average HALF the family income compared to Seattle, yet we're only about 20% lower for housing costs (Buying a home).
Also, you really have to watch your sources for rents/pricing, there are scammers posting ads on line in that price range but really you're looking at $1500 on up for anything beyond a studio or something in rough shape in the crappy parts of town.

Old 11-08-2020, 04:55 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,202 times
The writing is on the wall… We’re becoming Seattle 2.0. Bellingham’s geographical setting is to die for, but it’s depressing seeing our city deteriorate like this.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Drove by Schweinhaus Brewery early last Saturday morning and there were half a dozen homeless sleeping on top the pub’s outdoor dining tables. If the patrons only knew..

If I stay here post retirement, it will not be in one of our core neighborhoods within walking distance to downtown. The urban lifestyle dream is dead..at least for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Bellingham, the ugly truth....-8c090e65-f2d6-488b-bc06-93f0685de3e7.jpeg   Bellingham, the ugly truth....-9c4c6a7b-b20b-4dc3-b7d6-9cbe1c3f0bc0.jpeg   Bellingham, the ugly truth....-53569f1c-a637-4317-b36b-d28b06508111.jpeg  

Last edited by CoastieTX; 11-08-2020 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington