Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 03:10 AM

808 posts, read 543,518 times

Advertisements

I just got off the phone with my brother. He seriously needs some people to talk to. He lives south of Tacoma. Maybe an old-fogies' coffee klatch or something. He asked me what he was interrupting, and I told him I was watching a movie review. It took about three minutes for him to direct the conversation into why Trump is the devil incarnate, yada yada yada. He needs to join a Never-Trump discussion group.

At least tonight on his phone call to me, he was able to hear and respond to me saying I had to leave, and he said goodby. The last time he called, I had to hang up in the middle of his harangue because he wouldn't stop talking long enough to say Goodby.

He needs some people around who will agree with him, and enjoy talking to him. I'm getting increasingly resistant to his phone calls. I've been telling him, in clear, outspoken words, that I don't like that conversation, but he seems to think I'm saying "I can't hear you. Talk louder"

I formed a discussion group of people who like to talk about the subjects I'm interested in, and I think such a group would be a help to him, and maybe make his presence at family gatherings more enjoyable. He spends hours every day reading the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Atlantic, listening to NPR, etc and he wants to respond. We are the only people he has access to.

Do you know of any discussion groups in the south Puget Sound area? Or where might be a good place to post a notice about forming such a group?

Old 12-20-2023, 10:53 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,249,189 times
One idea would be a senior's center if there is one nearby. They have all kinds of drop-in activities and things where he could find some folks who want to converse with him.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:09 AM

14,506 posts, read 12,148,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
He needs some people around who will agree with him, and enjoy talking to him.

The only trouble is most people join discussion groups because they want to talk, not listen.

Will he type instead of talk? Maybe he should join here. There's an active political subforum and good debate - better than verbal for those who won't stop talking long enough to listen to each other in person.

Old 12-20-2023, 12:36 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,712,495 times
A card group, book club or some shared activity with like-minded people would be good. People chat while hiking or playing cards.

Does he live in a rural area of Trumpians where he feels like he has no one of similar political belief to talk to? Maybe he's overcompensating from having to listen to conservative diatribes and wants his side heard without alienating his neighbors.

Old 12-21-2023, 02:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,279,384 times
Well, yes, much of the area south of Tacoma is considerably more conservative, especially south of Grand Mound through Chehalis/Centralia. In the 2020 election, Lewis County went for the Republican Culp for governor 69% to 30%, and for Trump 65% to 32% Biden.

I might suggest joining Nexdoor in that area, get a feel from poster comments that are in line with his views, and try contacting them through the messaging.

Old 12-21-2023, 03:07 PM

862 posts, read 1,064,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
A card group, book club or some shared activity with like-minded people would be good. People chat while hiking or playing cards.

Does he live in a rural area of Trumpians where he feels like he has no one of similar political belief to talk to? Maybe he's overcompensating from having to listen to conservative diatribes and wants his side heard without alienating his neighbors.
I see how you are. I'll pay closer attention in the Oak Harbor thread.
Carry on.

Last edited by wolfdog; 12-21-2023 at 04:26 PM..

Old 12-22-2023, 11:14 AM

Another thing he might join is the local Democratic Party group if that's his peers. They often have a group almost everywhere. The Nextdoor groups can have giant diatribes on both sides and whoever the predominant political group is, they tend to take over.

In an area with more 50-50, people tend to do less diabtribes and be more interested in knowing their neighbors than pontificating at them. Then both sides tend to calm down and talk about something else, possibly something shared and healthier than going off the rails on politics.

Old 12-22-2023, 12:32 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,714,148 times
People feel the need to vent their frustrations on both sides of the political aisle especially in times like these. There's been many times I feel shocked by some of the blatantly obvious, stupid, illegal, unconstitutional things politicians do and then get away with. I want to ask the next logical question. Who in their right mind would still vote for such nutjobs? But my saner self prevails and don't want to dump all that on friends or relatives who may share different views including their favorite political heroes. In the end, I'm ok with them holding different views even if it seems totally nuts to me. I accept that some folks will never 'get it' no matter how much I or others say. Then I have those family members who just have to vent. And who do they choose? Their family members and facebook friends, of course. They have to dump on someone, right?

Maybe your brother needs that type of anti-Trump support group or joining a political cause. I'm sure he could find like minded supporters. Believe it or not, there are Republicans who don't support Trump or his actions either. So, it doesn't have to just be a democratic group. In that case, here's one he could join, for example: Republican Voters Against Trump

If firmly imbedded in the Democratic camp, then yes, start with Pierce County Democrats.

Derek

Old 12-22-2023, 12:33 PM

14,506 posts, read 12,148,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Another thing he might join is the local Democratic Party group if that's his peers.
Do Democrats ever call themselves or each other "Never Trumpers"? Isn't that typically a subset of Republicans who aren't fans of Trump?

Margaret, I would really try to encourage him to join some online political forums. It will be a good outlet for his need to talk, and good practice for learning to constructively discuss politics with others. The way you describe him now, if you can't even get a word in edgewise, no one will want to discuss politics with him.

Old 12-22-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Do Democrats ever call themselves or each other "Never Trumpers"? Isn't that typically a subset of Republicans who aren't fans of Trump?
That's a good question. I'm by no means an expert on this, and just thought there's Trumpers (Republicans) and Democrats (who never want Trump), going by what I observe around me. I had no idea there were never-Trumpers on the other side.

I've not heard the term never Trumper before and was just guessing that guy (in the first post) might find some peers over at the Democratic party and give his sister some peace (and maybe find some like-minded friends).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington