Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 11:46 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,740,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
There is a huge amount of money being spent on these interdiction efforts, and that means gainful employment, DEA, Border Patrol, the courts, the Lawyers, Prisons, not to mention the illegal side of things wherein drugs sales themselves have become a very large part of US, and foreign nations, economic expectations.
Let's not even get started on the For-profit prison system in this country. Stuff like this should not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 02:26 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I find that actual numbers are inconsistent from source to source and that the time lag between incidence and reporting tends to distort impact.
I was surprised at how close the alcohol and fentanyl were given the recent rise in the use of fentanyl.

All numbers are estimates and in many cases distorted by local policies and who collects and uses the data.

For years, in the Wenatchee Valley, when we were a rural area, all reported crimes were duly investigated and reported.

When we became an urban area and the crime rate skyrocketed law enforcement focused on murders and other "high" crimes. That data is pretty good. Pretty hard for a local community not to report a murder.

However, in recent years, I had a $2000 boat stolen from my driveway. The only way the Deputy Sheriff was going to come out and file a report was if I needed it for an insurance claim. So you can imagine how accurate thefts are in the data base.

A law enforcement guy told me, focus on the murders and major crimes. All crimes move in tandem and it is hard for communities to hide a murder like previously noted.

Dead people also tend to get counted. Fentanyl deaths are probably fairly accurate.

How do you count an alcoholic that kills himself and others while driving?? Is that a alcohol related death??

Old 08-30-2023, 01:19 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,415,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
A couple days ago Senator Cantwell visited Port Angles and talked about the fentanyl drug problem and possible federal money to fix the problem. Like more drug rehab centers and the like.

After reading all the talk, talk, talk...I see one thing she and others missed..Where and how did the drugs got into the country in the first place...Instead she and other should be putting pressure on Biden to close the border where most of the drugs are coming from. But of course she and her fellow democrats don't see a border problem.
So the beat goes on.

Cantwell (and Murray) are both bought and paid for by big pharma.

It was yearly donations of $333,000 per year to them. I assume it’s still being done. Maybe even increased.

The both voted against seniors getting cheaper meds in Canada.

They’ve been corrupted.

Fentanyl any different? Opioids?

Old 08-31-2023, 10:19 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,413,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

It was yearly donations of $333,000 per year to them. I assume it’s still being done. Maybe even increased.

They’ve been corrupted.

Like I said in the OP...the beat goes on.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:43 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

They’ve been corrupted.

The Mom In Tennis Shoes is corrupted by Pharma? She's not much of a mom, then. She'd better resign. Or at least give back her Mom card.

Old 08-31-2023, 02:27 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,673,799 times
I'm pretty sure that big pharma aren't undercutting themselves by bribing politicians into allowing the supply of illegal drugs. You get some weird conspiracies when you start fingerpointing at everyone.

At least addiction treatment is attempting to do something, better than complaining about the problem and every attempt to fix it while saying you don't know the solution yourself.

Old 08-31-2023, 02:37 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
So it's a colossal waste of money to stop drugs and illegals alien flowing across our southern border? Got it..
You hit the nail on the head first try.
So I ask you what is the solution beside let it happen because Biden and democrat don't care.
The only way to stop the flow of drugs across the border is to search every last vehicle and container that crossed the border. 35,000 trucks cross the border every day. $1 million of fentanyl is less than one cubic foot, which makes it very simple to conceal in a 40 foot container. There is no way to stop that flow without closing the border entirely, which isn't going to happen due to the negative economic impact.

This is not a Democrat thing, it works exactly same under the Republicans.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
I'm pretty sure that big pharma aren't undercutting themselves by bribing politicians into allowing the supply of illegal drugs. You get some weird conspiracies when you start fingerpointing at everyone.

At least addiction treatment is attempting to do something, better than complaining about the problem and every attempt to fix it while saying you don't know the solution yourself.
FYI....
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...suits-n1274520

Old 09-01-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The only way to stop the flow of drugs across the border is to search every last vehicle and container that crossed the border. 35,000 trucks cross the border every day. $1 million of fentanyl is less than one cubic foot, which makes it very simple to conceal in a 40 foot container. There is no way to stop that flow without closing the border entirely, which isn't going to happen due to the negative economic impact.

This is not a Democrat thing, it works exactly same under the Republicans.
So I gather you don't care if illegal drugs are crossing out southern border?

Old 09-01-2023, 01:30 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
So I gather you don't care if illegal drugs are crossing out southern border?
So you want to completely search 35,000 trucks and over 100,000 cars every day? It's not possible to do that and maintain cross border economic activity. If you were crossing the US/Mexico border, would you settle for waiting 48 hours to get through the line, and have your car disassembled?

It would be great if all small packages containing fentanyl were found, but I am pragmatic enough to understand that's impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington