Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 09:52 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times

Advertisements

Interesting turn of events. I know lots of people hate on Inslee and he went through a lot during Covid. Evidently, he's decided its time to pass the torch. While some may think this is a good thing, be careful what you wish for. We experienced something similar in CA when Gov. Jerry Brown finally left office only to be replaced by Gavin Newson which was not an improvement. Old 'moonbeam' actually did a lot for California back in the day.

Gov. Jay Inslee announces he won't seek reelection in Washington state

Typically, folks are upset with Inslee about all the usual stuff, and yeah, I get it after the capital gains tax. But at least for me, Inslee wasn't terrible. And if we are going to end up with someone much more tax happy among other not so great things, there's no guaranteeing a better replacement. I don't even know who his most likely successors are.

What are the chances a Republican could replace him? I know people doubt that knowing the higher percentages of Dems vs. Repubs across the state. But with the right, moderate candidate I've seen stranger things happen like the Terminator in CA. He was maligned by the right for being too liberal and the left complained about his conservative views. But the people voted him in, nonetheless. I'm not sure WA would have such a generally appealing candidate on the right. But pendulums do tend to swing especially after a long run from the other side. So, its going to be an interesting time in WA's history to see who shows up and if there is anything of substance there beyond the latest toxic twitter wars of current day politics. A think a Trump style wannabe clone is a DOA proposition. Will the best man or women win with some actual substance? Or, will it simply be the most loud, obnoxious, flamboyant media mogul? I guess only time will tell.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 09:49 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,468 times
I would have to dig up the reference, but there was a report by an independent libertarian political group published about 4-5 years ago, that labeled Inslee as the absolute worst - 50th out of 50 - governor for tax-and-spend politics.

Good riddance. The only problem is the heir apparent is Turd Ferguson, who is likely to be even further left.

Old 05-02-2023, 11:09 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,405,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I would have to dig up the reference, but there was a report by an independent libertarian political group published about 4-5 years ago, that labeled Inslee as the absolute worst - 50th out of 50 - governor for tax-and-spend politics.

Good riddance. The only problem is the heir apparent is Turd Ferguson, who is likely to be even further left.
Not sure if Islee is worst then Newsom but close.
No worry...... another brain dead democratic will take his place.

Old 05-02-2023, 01:04 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,938,725 times
Was he that bad? I remember so many people were cheering when he fired as many non vaxxers as possible under his rule.

No shot, no job.

Old 05-02-2023, 01:57 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,765 times
He's pretty slimey, but given the choice between him and the five-year-old that the Republicans put forward it wasn't much contest. A Republican has the ability to win in this state but we never get any good candidates from their party.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:48 PM

Apparently, my google feed is reading my mind. Here are the current potential Inslee replacements:

With Inslee out, here's who might run for Washington governor

Looks like very little is known about the Republican side yet. I can imagine them scrambling a bit to come up with something viable. The last Republican elected as governor of Washington was John Spellman in 1980. So, that's a long time, much longer than CA or other western states besides OR which is about the same.

Derek

Old 05-03-2023, 08:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I'm happy to see him go, but there is always a chance of getting someone worse. I wonder if Dino Rossi will give it another shot? The Republicans have no chance if they keep running unknown one-issue candidates like Culp.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:22 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
He's pretty slimey, but given the choice between him and the five-year-old that the Republicans put forward it wasn't much contest. A Republican has the ability to win in this state but we never get any good candidates from their party.
Do you blame them? At this point, the effort and fundraising that needs to be put in by a Republican in WA would have to be 100x the effort that someone like Ferguson will have to put in to get enough votes.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:58 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I thought he was running for president. So he would have to give up governor's job.

Old 05-03-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I thought he was running for president. So he would have to give up governor's job.
Assuming that's a joke. All reports point to his retirement vs. running for president.

So, who do you think should replace him?

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington