Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 07:56 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I worked with Inslee TWICE in emergency situations.

He believes that it is OK for politicians to LIE to the public in a emergency situation.

I was standing there next to him when he made the comment. A civil servant(not me) told him in no uncertain terms..."this is a emergency, we will NOT withhold information from the public". You are getting the same information that the public is getting. Jay was not happy with that.

Inslee was awful and not very smart.

Yes, the next Governor might be worse....but we elected Inslee three times and at some point you have no one to blame but yourself.
I think many/most politicians lie at some point in their careers and then attempt to justify it for various political reasons. So, it doesn't surprise me at all. I mean its a running joke and has been since the dawn of time. I don't think either parties are immune from lying, extorting, bribing, mishandling privacy data, misusing their authority for political gain, etc... That's just the reality of American politics. When you hear all those campaign promises from your favorite politician, do you really believe them all? How about when they spin something stupid they did and then got caught?

This isn't a justification for it as no one wants to be lied to. However, I think most people take what politicians say with a HUGE grain of salt. It our jobs to sift through all that BS, and pick the least terrible candidate. There will never be a perfect, honest candidate unless you also want to buy some beach front property in Arizona. I'm sure there are willing sellers right now who would happily make you deal. And the nice Nigerian prince is waiting for you to receive your long lost inheritance.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-04-2023 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 08:35 PM

848 posts, read 967,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I think many/most politicians lie at some point in their careers and then attempt to justify it for various political reasons. So, it doesn't surprise me at all. I mean its a running joke and has been since the dawn of time. I don't think either parties are immune from lying, extorting, bribing, mishandling privacy data, misusing their authority for political gain, etc... That's just the reality of American politics. When you hear all those campaign promises from your favorite politician, do you really believe them all? How about when they spin something stupid they did and then got caught?

Even if one of them did happen to be honest and try to fulfill campaign promises, you still have to get things past the other party before it can become fact. And with parties just mechanically voting yes or no based on party lines instead of logic and sense, that politician still fails anyway.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:21 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,918 times
Quote:
So, if Republicans are really unwilling or unable to put forth any viable, semi-coherent candidate then we're down to:

1. Bob Ferguson - front runner
2. Hilary Franz - biggest challenger
3. Mark Mullet - a moderate (some would say conservative) Democratic
4. Possibly someone else???

We've still got some time and someone could show up late to the party. So far, Mullet looks like he could be better for moderates - less tax and spend than the others. Keep in mind relative scales while avoiding the worst of the worst. While folks here are skeptical, I'm not so sure Republicans are going to throw in the towel that easily. Sure, they've been on a losing streak for 40 years. But never say never in politics. If they could muster up a well spoken moderate, that could potentially get one into the running.... I think WA is a pretty big target for wannabe political hopefuls. And don't tell me there's not enough money there. The Koch brothers among other wealthy right wing donors could cough up some cash.

Derek
Do you think a candidate that's not ultra right can even get through to the election? That is today's GOP, it's not some mistake or issue that the Democrats have forced on them. It's the road they've chosen to drive on.

Old 05-05-2023, 12:09 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
Do you think a candidate that's not ultra right can even get through to the election? That is today's GOP, it's not some mistake or issue that the Democrats have forced on them. It's the road they've chosen to drive on.
While that's the current climate, I think within both parties there are varying degrees of level headedness, moderation and also the lack thereof. Unfortunately, the polarizing extremes shouting from the rooftops or tweeting on social media are ruling the day at the moment. It's the day of the shock jock politician that seems to gather the most support on the right. However, it was not always that way and isn't locked in stone for all time simply because of the current day mayhem.

For WA, they simply have no other choice. It they want to gain inroads and win, they need to get off that national level ultra right bandwagon. After losing races for 40 years, there really is no other option. So, bring on an Arnold type conservative who is more middle of road and cares about other things like the environment as well as a fiscal conservative and you've got yourself a prospect. Appeal to the extreme and plan to lose while preparing your concession speech. It's as simple as that.

The real question is, would conservatives rather have a moderate or what some might even deem more liberal Republican in office or a more fiscally conservative Democrat. Because those will be the only two best case scenarios if a moderate Democrat such as Mullet makes it into the running. Otherwise, it will be Ferguson or someone more liberal than Inslee who really likes new taxes among other woke agendas. Heck, we might end up with state income tax and a larger deficit with the next one - what a legacy to leave Washingtonians.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-05-2023 at 12:22 AM..

Old 05-05-2023, 08:34 AM

848 posts, read 967,088 times
Exactly. I'd vote for the right person, regardless of blue, red, green, white or otherwise. Leave the bible thumping, "family values", and minority (that's not just color) oppression at home in dixieland. Help social classes that need it (monetarily, legislatively). Take care of social and environmental issues. Don't deep-throat CEOs and rich people (they need to pay their fair share and not be able to write everything off to avoid it). FIX THE DAMN ROADS and stop pilfering the transportation fund that's supposed to be doing exactly that. Once in office, don't be bullied by your political party. Whoever that is, let's do it.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:26 AM

3,689 posts, read 2,410,480 times
As awful as Emperor Inslee is and was.

Who will be in contention to replace him?

We shall see.

Being it's (western) Washington, I'm really concerned.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:29 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:

This isn't a justification for it as no one wants to be lied to. However, I think most people take what politicians say with a HUGE grain of salt. It our jobs to sift through all that BS, and pick the least terrible candidate. There will never be a perfect, honest candidate unless you also want to buy some beach front property in Arizona. I'm sure there are willing sellers right now who would happily make you deal. And the nice Nigerian prince is waiting for you to receive your long lost inheritance.

Derek
You don't understand.

These were public fire emergencies. People's homes were burning down.

Jay thought it fine to not tell the public what was going on as they were losing their homes. The Incident Commander did tell Jay that he was sharing ALL the fire information with the public.

Old 05-05-2023, 02:35 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
Yes. And this is exactly the same for the left. The party that was once for the middle class and the environment is now the party of making priorities of criminal welfare and pre-pubescent transgender rights.

Old 05-05-2023, 02:40 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,098 times
Quote:
While that's the current climate, I think within both parties there are varying degrees of level headedness, moderation and also the lack thereof. Unfortunately, the polarizing extremes shouting from the rooftops or tweeting on social media are ruling the day at the moment. It's the day of the shock jock politician that seems to gather the most support on the right. However, it was not always that way and isn't locked in stone for all time simply because of the current day mayhem.

For WA, they simply have no other choice. It they want to gain inroads and win, they need to get off that national level ultra right bandwagon. After losing races for 40 years, there really is no other option. So, bring on an Arnold type conservative who is more middle of road and cares about other things like the environment as well as a fiscal conservative and you've got yourself a prospect. Appeal to the extreme and plan to lose while preparing your concession speech. It's as simple as that.

The real question is, would conservatives rather have a moderate or what some might even deem more liberal Republican in office or a more fiscally conservative Democrat. Because those will be the only two best case scenarios if a moderate Democrat such as Mullet makes it into the running. Otherwise, it will be Ferguson or someone more liberal than Inslee who really likes new taxes among other woke agendas. Heck, we might end up with state income tax and a larger deficit with the next one - what a legacy to leave Washingtonians.

Derek
This is already happening. Conservatives in this state are leaning much more toward the middle in an effort to have any chance at all. The problem is the majority of the population in Seattle is consistently leaning farther and FARTHER left, and so even a moderate Democrat will have no chance.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:33 PM

1,824 posts, read 799,349 times
Quote:
So, bring on an Arnold type conservative who is more middle of road and cares about other things like the environment as well as a fiscal conservative and you've got yourself a prospect.
I sincerely hope this was tongue-in-cheek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington