Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 08:29 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,786 times

Advertisements

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...te-poll-finds/

Seems more people want out of this state than want to stay. And this report is from the Seattle Times, so pretty unlikely that it has any right-wing bias.

EDIT: Looks like I now have a pay-wall with this article (don't know why, as I could read it yesterday) - but it basically says that, if I remember correctly, that they polled 500 random Washingtonians, and found that 51% of people want to move out of this state, 39% want to stay, and the rest are undecided. It seems that the numbers are split down party lines, except that a large majority of independents (in addition to Republicans) want to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 10:12 AM

467 posts, read 526,294 times
I have a Seattle Times subscription, so was able to go back and read the article. The gist of the article is that only slightly more Washington residents would like to move out of state, but the big gap is along political party lines. It also depends on age and amount of education.

Old 04-29-2023, 10:14 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,406,555 times
I don't think people are actually wanting to leave Washington per se, but maybe leaving liberal dominated cities where they are bombard with weird and values that don't match their own and moving to less political areas where they can be basically be left alone to do their own thing, without government looking over their shoulder and telling them what and how to do it, and if you don't you are a bad person.

I have no desire to leave Washington state...as I live in a area not consumed by politics. Oh...there is political bickering...of course but mostly without effect. For example abortions rights people will gather on the corner and whine about 'women' rights which is laughable because Washington had legalized aborting years ago. I am waiting for Trans people giving me a good laugh when they protest for trans special rights when as far as I know they shouldn't be special rights for anyone...only equal rights for all. Which at time seems to be a pipe dream for the rest of us whom happens to disagree with some of the protest.

Old 04-29-2023, 10:21 AM

335 posts, read 421,094 times
If it's anything like this forum, it's a bunch of right-wingers endlessly pissing and moaning about how lefty WA is, yet staying and reaping those magnificent returns on investment for their real property.

Old 04-29-2023, 09:34 PM

7 posts, read 19,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
If it's anything like this forum, it's a bunch of right-wingers endlessly pissing and moaning about how lefty WA is, yet staying and reaping those magnificent returns on investment for their real property.
Not sure what this means, but I am not coming from a right-winger or left-winger position. I haven't heard the "pissing and moaning" except from the strange need for a law that okays child castration and removes gas vehicles (the goal Inslee's proud to be the first state to set), even though the electric vehicles are so much worse for the environment and all. I've seen a lot of people that aren't arguing politically, because the "left-wingers" won't listen to anything but propaganda and are in the covid climate cults, run by Pharma, so all the talk around here, by Seattle, is that the left-wingers bully people out of town by legalizing hard drugs and making the once-beautiful Emerald City a cesspool of crime. Yep, it's really like that now.
Etc. GL

Old 04-30-2023, 02:35 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,361,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...te-poll-finds/

Seems more people want out of this state than want to stay. And this report is from the Seattle Times, so pretty unlikely that it has any right-wing bias.

Hey, please leave!

-- Born 'n Bred.

Old 04-30-2023, 03:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
We moved from Idaho to Washington state in 1980.

My wife wanted to leave after two months!!!

It is an interesting article. Women and Republicans are the two groups that want to leave Washington state.

Little discussion on why women want to leave, but several people have speculated that it is due to rising crime and closure of schools during COVID. That is showed families with children the dismal state of education in Washington. Plus crime is more dangerous to women than men. This might be worth another survey to determine why women want to flee the state.

In our case, Washington in 1980 was a very cheap state to live if you have a low consumptive lifestyle. There is no way that I would have been able to enjoy the standard of living in Idaho. Idaho and Oregon are very high tax states.

The tax situation in Washington is rapidly getting out of hand for middle class folks.

In 1980, it was the start of the Boeing and Corporate bailouts in Washington. So much so, that given ALL the WORLD CLASS corporations located and doing business in Washington, small business and consumers pay the most taxes like 80% according to the Office of Financial Management in a report to the Legislature about a decade ago.

When you have a export economy, it makes great sense to tax corporations. The sales tax on a Boeing aircraft was astronomical, MicroSoft used tax and legislative tax breaks to minimize its taxes in Washington.

Too old to flee Washington, but it was a mistake to take that job in 1980 from a personal point of view, but a great economic decision.

Old 04-30-2023, 03:14 PM

335 posts, read 421,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainorsun View Post
I am not coming from a right-winger or left-winger position. <a bunch of right-wing disinformation and talking points>
Sure. Why don't you tell me about how both sides are bad, yet reserve all your criticism for the left.

On topic: the continuing increase in property values in WA seems to indicate that people still view it as a good place to live. Property values don't climb during a mass exodus, and 99% of people that say they're leaving a place, stay put.

I've moved several times. It's not that hard. Stop talking about it and just do it.

Old 04-30-2023, 04:54 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
I’m a moderate middle of the road kinda guy.
I don’t much care for the extreme far right.
Most of their talking points bore me
That being said at least they don’t promote child castration, drug usage and your basic urban lawlessness.

There is really too much to fix at one time.
Maybe if we started with a simple thing like maintaining law and order less people would want to leave.

There is a domino effect when things change.
One thing can easily have influence on several different things.
Meaning one bad decision normally has several negative results and one good decision can have the same amount in positive results.

I think we are due for some positive changes.

Old 04-30-2023, 05:20 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,127,268 times
Washington would be an incredible state, without the endless homeless and meth problems. The long rainy winters are tough to deal with and Inslee needs to give people a choice of which vehicle they’d prefer to drive.

I find myself missing things in Washington, although moving was the right decision. Not sure why so many want to leave, it could be the COL, but the east coast isn’t any cheaper. Today was a picture perfect day here, blue sky, no trash or blue tents. Washington has the seasons though.

There are reasons to stay or go, jobs, politics, how much tolerance you have for trash and the long rainy winters. If Washington had better leadership, maybe the homeless and drug problems wouldn’t be so bad. Seattle has some very wealthy zip codes, so does my county. Seattle has a plague of tents and drugs, my county doesn’t. I’m not sure if it’s too much tolerance or bad leadership, but Seattle could do much better. I’d like to see it get back to the city it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington