Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 03:24 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Remember, that the Repubs are the party of business, big business. They're not going to be more inclined to think of the little guy, the people needing affordable housing, than the Dems..................

So it becomes a matter of paying for quality up front (and spreading out the cost over the life of a mortgage), or being able to buy in to homeownership at a lower cost, but being stuck with higher expenses after the buy-in.

I can tell you, that most people buying an affordable-housing unit are unaware of the downsides I mentioned. I don't know what their response would be, if the full scenario were explained to them, and they were polled on which option they'd prefer: a cheapskate house costing them higher utility bills, and a slew of repair costs after 20 years of ownership, or the other option. Maybe "affordable housing" should come with some kind of loan assistance or subsidy or something, so that lower-income buyers could afford quality. I don't know what the solution is, 509.
The solution is simple we need to elect people that are scientifically and economically literate. Traits that are missing in the current make up of the Democrats. I do miss Dixie Lee Ray.

Democrats are the party of big business.

Did you miss the "illegal" 10 billion dollars in subsidies to Boeing by the Democrats?? The shift since 1980 where consumers and small business NOW pay 80% of Washington state taxes?? With corporations like Amazon, PacCar, Boeing, MicroSoft, and a host of others paying little to no taxes in the state.

My architect friend pointed out that at this point, the new requirements imposed by the Democrats do NOT lower energy costs. Houses are so tight now, that new homes have to bring in outside air for health reasons.

Notice in the article in the Columbian they never mention cost saving from the new requirements.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2023/a...-clark-county/

It is about climate change for the Democrats.

Fine, except in Washington the electrical power generation is:

Coal 3%
Nat Gas 14%
Hydro 65%
Nuclear 8%
Wind 9%
BioMass 1%

Coat is out. So it natural gas. So why is the new regulations about climate change?? Even in the worse case scenario it is 17% and heading down. Granted some environmentally destructive counties like the Puget Sound counties depend on coal and natural gas, but eastern Washington is 95% carbon free.

Why do we need heat pumps, which do NOT work well over here and are very expensive, to save the planet??

Likewise, Governor Inslee and the Democrats have overridden local county ordinances that ban Industrial Wind Areas. Fine, except Industrial Wind Areas displace NOT coal or natural gas but hydro-electric generated by county owned PUD's in eastern Washington.

In the near future, in eastern Oregon and Washington 1.5 MILLION acres will be destroyed by Industrial Wind Areas over the objections of local residents. Yeah, I know for environmentalists that is a form of "environmental justice". Almost ALL the wind power generated in Oregon and Washington is shipped to California.

Why are we destroying Oregon and Washington shrub-steppe ecosystems (the most endangered eco-system in the two states) to ship electricity to California???

But wait, the Democrats do not understand economics but they do understand campaign contributions.

We do have "the best government money can buy" in Washington state. Just check the campaign contributions for the Democrats and Republicans in Washington state. Check where the corporations "invest" their money between the political parties.

https://www.opensecrets.org/

I have to think that the Democrats are scientifically and economically illiterate since the alternative is that they are destroying the middle class and environment in Washington state for personal gain.,

Of course, there might be the alternative that they are idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 03:47 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
This post is kind of funny... Stated....I don't care for the extreme right but points out what the extreme left wants and is allowing.....totally funny post.
But please point the positives the extreme left has accomplished. You know like open borders, inflation and crime which most people don't consider an accomplishment but an extremism..
But one thing I can say the extremism of the left doesn't bore me...not one bit.

Open borders? I live 2000 ft from the border- perhaps you should educate yourself.

"illegals commit less crime - are a net tax benefit - and we need more people to compete with China'

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuarta...h=6d050a9e4d70

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuarta...h=2798c1fb389f

https://networkadvocates.org/recommi...ustice/impact/

https://thehill.com/opinion/immigrat...er-be-ignored/

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/how-w...ctural-racism/

https://www.repository.law.indiana.e...68&context=ilj

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/how-w...ctural-racism/

https://www.cato.org/blog/new-resear...ration-crime-0

Old 05-03-2023, 08:26 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,468 times
Quote:
SB 5770 is freaky. I can't get my mind around it. You'll notice I haven't participated on that thread. I was only pointing out to 509, that the issue he raises is more complex than he thinks.

How is 5770 helping "the little guys"? I don't see it.
Well, I think the extra property taxation is supposed to be directed to "affordable housing initiatives" for lower-income people (i.e. the Little guy), but in principle, I agree with you.

Old 05-03-2023, 12:18 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
Quote:

The fact is, that affordable housing units that don't have fuel-saving measures, like insulated walls to give a common example, end up costing the residents much more on a monthly basis, because they end up using their climate control much more.
Not true, Washington has rather strict insulation and glass R-value requirements to attain a permit. My home could only have gas/propane heat or electric heat pumps, and because it's a small home it only has 6 windows because there is a maximum ratio of window area/house size/R-value allowed. I literally had no window choices, because I have to meet emergency egress yet can't go any larger because it barely made the ratio. It's such that someone wealthy can build a 5000sq/ft waterfront home with one whole side being glass, yet a smaller minimalist home that costs much less to heat ends up having ONE window in the great room and the rest of the bedrooms just one minimal sized window to meet fire egress requirements.
Worse yet, we have the "noreaster" up here and my area doesn't have gas, so when we get super cold -13*F winds our heat pump isn't going to work.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:24 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,544 times
[quote=rkcarguy;65222070]Pretend you're me for a bit.

No thank you. I can write a decent sentence and do not make up facts. At worst I sometimes pretend I'm my dog but she's cute and famous.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:35 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Not true, Washington has rather strict insulation and glass R-value requirements to attain a permit. My home could only have gas/propane heat or electric heat pumps, and because it's a small home it only has 6 windows because there is a maximum ratio of window area/house size/R-value allowed. I literally had no window choices, because I have to meet emergency egress yet can't go any larger because it barely made the ratio. It's such that someone wealthy can build a 5000sq/ft waterfront home with one whole side being glass, yet a smaller minimalist home that costs much less to heat ends up having ONE window in the great room and the rest of the bedrooms just one minimal sized window to meet fire egress requirements.
Worse yet, we have the "noreaster" up here and my area doesn't have gas, so when we get super cold -13*F winds our heat pump isn't going to work.
Developers of "affordable housing" projects are able to obtain waivers of certain building codes, to be able to make the houses they build "affordable". I don't know exactly what municipalities and the state in WA allow in that regard, but you might look into it, if you're curious.

Old 05-05-2023, 02:24 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
If it's anything like this forum, it's a bunch of right-wingers endlessly pissing and moaning about how lefty WA is, yet staying and reaping those magnificent returns on investment for their real property.
Nah, some of us are just people that worked their entire adult lives, paid taxes, but now don't want to be over-taxed for our modest homes that we worked all our lives to buy. We don't want to & can't afford to pay taxes on our houses that we know are only worth about $120,000, but The Man says is worth $600,000+ because "someone" paid that much for a similar house down the road. You can choose whoever you think paid that much...REITs, Californians, local realtors with insider info., Air BnB/VRBO millionairre wannabees, WFH techies, blah blah fill in the blank. And, wow, we don't want to move to, no offense to these states, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, Louisiana, North Dakota, Outer Boondockia, to finish out our lives, since where we are is where we have always been.

Oh, yeah, just so I'm not accused of being a "moaning right-winger", I have a hard-left relative in Colorado who is complaining about the same thing, the only difference being that their governor is trying to correct the situation, at least that is what they say the Colorado governor is saying, but who knows? Politics/politicians.

My apologies in advance if I offended anyone, that was not my intention. If this is edited, I would appreciate that my original intent remain on line.

Last edited by CalWorth; 05-05-2023 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Sincerely do not wish to insult anyone

Old 05-06-2023, 08:21 AM

334 posts, read 421,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainorsun View Post
Not sure what this means,
I'm not surprised, given the rest of your statements.

Quote:
but I am not coming from a right-winger or left-winger position.
Doesn't sound that way to me. Sounds like you're repeating baseless Republican sound bites.

Quote:
a law that okays child castration
Show me the text in the law that says that. Go on, I'll wait. You may be disingenuously referring to puberty blockers, which simply delay puberty, and can be stopped at any time. Even if the law allows for surgical changes to kids' genitals, I feel like the vast majority of people that feel trans are actually trans. There may be a small number of people with regrets, but compare that to the majority of trans youth that have no intervention at all.

Quote:
even though the electric vehicles are so much worse for the environment
Citation needed.

Old 05-06-2023, 02:07 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,468 times
Quote:
Sure. Why don't you tell me about how both sides are bad, yet reserve all your criticism for the left.

On topic: the continuing increase in property values in WA seems to indicate that people still view it as a good place to live. Property values don't climb during a mass exodus, and 99% of people that say they're leaving a place, stay put.

I've moved several times. It's not that hard. Stop talking about it and just do it.
Quote:
I'm not surprised, given the rest of your statements.

Doesn't sound that way to me. Sounds like you're repeating baseless Republican sound bites.

Show me the text in the law that says that. Go on, I'll wait. You may be disingenuously referring to puberty blockers, which simply delay puberty, and can be stopped at any time. Even if the law allows for surgical changes to kids' genitals, I feel like the vast majority of people that feel trans are actually trans. There may be a small number of people with regrets, but compare that to the majority of trans youth that have no intervention at all.

Citation needed.
So, I understand that you weren't replying to me, but as the OP, I'm seeing the hypocrisy of your comments when, in the bottom comment you are asking the PP for a citation on something. But in your top comment, you are refuting the citation I gave - because your own made-up data has somehow determined that "99% of people that say they're leaving a place, stay put." - Do you have a citation for that statistic?

You can't have it both ways - either you value a citation or you don't. It can't be only when it works in your favor.

Old 05-07-2023, 03:03 PM

334 posts, read 421,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
So, I understand that you weren't replying to me, but as the OP, I'm seeing the hypocrisy of your comments when, in the bottom comment you are asking the PP for a citation on something. But in your top comment, you are refuting the citation I gave - because your own made-up data has somehow determined that "99% of people that say they're leaving a place, stay put." - Do you have a citation for that statistic?

You can't have it both ways - either you value a citation or you don't. It can't be only when it works in your favor.
Excuse me if I don't put a lot of weight into a poll of 500 people.

Also, the question asked was this: “I would move to another state if my professional and personal situation allowed me to.” Yeah, if it weren't for that high paying job I'd lose, I'd totally go somewhere else. That's not much of an indictment of the state. What about all these rapidly growing red states? Don't they have equivalent opportunities? And MOAR FREEDOM! (Unless you're a woman.)

But how do I debunk such airtight data? Hmm, maybe with growth numbers. Wait, growth numbers? So, WA hasn't lost 51% of its population in any year?

Yeah, your data isn't worth much. People are full of crud. They whinge and moan about leaving, but don't.

One final thought: the burden of proof is upon the person making the extraordinary claim. I figured that steady, high population growth would put to rest any "I wanna leave" being the dominant paradigm arguments, before those arguments were made, but I guess I was wrong there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington