Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 09:51 AM

14,499 posts, read 12,148,609 times

Advertisements

The only thing I agree with you on, is that this conversation here is a waste of time. :-)

Kick it down the road. Maybe the next administration will solve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 11:03 AM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
lol. OP, you do realize, don't you, that there's no proof of anything in that tweet? No proof that the tweeter's take on it is accurate?

Old 08-26-2022, 11:08 AM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I am for legal immigration.
My family had to wait 3 years in a European migrant camp (in Munich) to be properly vetted because my parents were from the other side of the iron curtain (East Germany).
My brother and I were born in that camp.

I think all migrants should be properly vetted and add a benefit to this country before being allowed in.
This could be in any field from science to field labor.
It is doing our country a disservice to allow otherwise.
Breaking these rules should be a punishable crime and no one should be above the law.
That's the way it used to be, after WWII. One problem with "properly vetted" is, that people from E Europe can, and so, bribe their officials for a clean slate to present to US authorities. I don't understand why the State Dept. isn't wise to this. But also, the lottery system that's been in place for E European prospective immigrants for decades means the "benefit to this country" criterion has been eliminated for that sector.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:58 PM

5,454 posts, read 7,754,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's the way it used to be, after WWII. One problem with "properly vetted" is, that people from E Europe can, and so, bribe their officials for a clean slate to present to US authorities. I don't understand why the State Dept. isn't wise to this. But also, the lottery system that's been in place for E European prospective immigrants for decades means the "benefit to this country" criterion has been eliminated for that sector.
The State Department is extremely aware of the vagaries of local police and authorities in chaotic countries around the world, not just Eastern Europe. That is what they do. They evaluate documents from places like Afghanistan and Myanmar not just Poland and have standards and procedures in place for this very issue. They do know what they are doing.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:11 PM

5,454 posts, read 7,754,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I am for legal immigration.
My family had to wait 3 years in a European migrant camp (in Munich) to be properly vetted because my parents were from the other side of the iron curtain (East Germany).
My brother and I were born in that camp.

I think all migrants should be properly vetted and add a benefit to this country before being allowed in.
This could be in any field from science to field labor.
It is doing our country a disservice to allow otherwise.
Breaking these rules should be a punishable crime and no one should be above the law.
There are lots of avenues for immigration. What you are talking about is the traditional route through the green card lottery. There are also...

1. People who enter on tourist visas or from visa-waiver countries like the EU and get jobs and overstay their visas. Look at how many Irish, Brits, and Aussies are illegally working as bartenders in NYC for example. No one much notices because they speak English and aren't "brown"

2. People who enter under claims of refugee status or who are making asylum claims. Under the UN Convention on Refugees from 1951 under which the US was a main sponsor and supporter you do not have to pre-apply. You are allowed under international law to actually cross borders on foot and then present your claim after you have already entered. When rich white people made illegal border crossings on foot to make refugee or asylum claims we wrote Academy Award-winning musicals about it. Today when they are brown we scream about migrant caravans "invading" the border.

The Sound of Music: "Climb Every Mountain" https://youtu.be/jvDFoF9sfQA

Last edited by texasdiver; 08-26-2022 at 01:25 PM..

Old 08-26-2022, 04:16 PM

14,499 posts, read 12,148,609 times
Why are you people on the left constantly talking about people being "brown"? Are you trying to scare people? Who? Why?

I think most of us are over it. It's time for you to grow up. It's you taking us backwards, not me.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 08-26-2022 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-26-2022, 05:46 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,085,920 times
Most legal immigrants regardless of their color don’t much care for the unvented flood gates to be open.
I would wager most reasonable people feel that way too.

Old 08-27-2022, 10:59 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,274,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
No, the citizens of Yakima cannot afford a person describing human beings as being ‘released into society’ as if they are somehow evil and a threat. They can, however, afford to ignore those who choose to incite anger and fear and instead get more involved in their government, learn about the issues from different points of view and work constructively to solve problems in a bipartisan manner, while strengthening their state and nation.

As our President has shown, bipartisanship is the way forward.
Are you serious???

In his recent speech touting his infrastructure bill (that he FINALLY got all the democrats on board for), Biden made a point to call out the Republicans, because he was mad at them for not supporting him. There was no reason to include that part of the speech - it didn't further the agenda in any way. It was simply a jab at the other side.

In other words, it was partisanship.

Old 08-27-2022, 12:03 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,738,699 times
Yakima does have an illegal problem. A cost analysis I reviewed a few years ago noted that Yakima had the highest medical care costs in the state and even up there in the entire US. (looking at average costs for various procedures), which initially had me scratching my head.
What its from is the large illegal population receiving care and not paying for it. Providers are not able to refuse care, so the bill is passed onto the rest of those in the area.

Old 08-27-2022, 11:42 PM

1,369 posts, read 715,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Are you serious???

In his recent speech touting his infrastructure bill (that he FINALLY got all the democrats on board for), Biden made a point to call out the Republicans, because he was mad at them for not supporting him. There was no reason to include that part of the speech - it didn't further the agenda in any way. It was simply a jab at the other side.

In other words, it was partisanship.
*sigh* where to begin… you obviously don’t really follow or understand politics.

First of all, Biden would not have chastised Republicans over the infrastructure bill because McConnell and several members of the Senate GOP voted FOR the infrastructure bill. In fact, McConnell called it ‘a godsend’

https://www.businessinsider.com/mitc...ks-2021-11?amp

And of course, Trump attacked McConnell for his and Biden’s bipartisanship.

So, by your own error, you allow me to prove my point.

Now, you MEANT to say ‘IRA bill’ which is the misnamed ‘Inflation Reduction Act’ that doesn’t *really* reduce inflation. Biden chastised Republicans for not voting for it, so basically complaining that they weren’t acting in a bipartisan manner. Why? Because the IRA pays down the deficit, and has lots of goodies for the oil and gas industry, so you’d think that the GOP would at least get in the mix, propose some serious amendments and perhaps make the bill more palatable for the right and then vote for it.

But they didn’t. Still, because Democratic Senator Manchin is quite conservative, he made sure the bill had things in it for both sides.

Once again, the Democratic Party is always ready to make a deal if it allows America to make progress against problems. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t ‘call out’ the other side, that’s perfectly fine, we don’t have to pretend we love each other. State your differences and then work them out!

Last edited by Arcos; 08-27-2022 at 11:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington