Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 01:29 AM

1,369 posts, read 714,997 times

Advertisements

The Democrats have been ready for bipartisan action on immigration for decades. John Boehner promised it and President Obama patiently waited. The Senate (including the GOP) even passed legislation to that effect, and we had crickets from the House, because conservatives threatened Boehner with a revolt.

President Biden would surely take a similar deal, but there’s no chance of passage in the Senate, these days. The Democrats in the Senate can’t pass it alone, since budget reconciliation is restricted to budgetary items alone.

Presidential action can only do so much.

In the meanwhile, the US gets older, and GDP suffers, but thanks to immigration, at a much slower pace than Europe. We NEED more immigrants. I’d prefer it happen in a more orderly manner, but for that you need both parties ready to make a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 11:11 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Our president hasn't shown us any bipartisanship on this, or anything else I can think of. He hasn't done ONE thing or made one attempt to help with the border situation. He is failing to do ANYTHING on the border, and the illegals are suffering for it at the hands of cartels and human traffickers, and we are suffering for it in the form of criminals trafficking fentanyl. No.... I don't like what he's "showing" us.

No federal administration or ANY national elected Congress has done sh__ for immigrants or US Citizens as far as immigration is concerned since the 1980s. It's time to stop being so damn partisan and admit that Trump's style was truly human rights violations, and the Democrats' style is to ignore the problem completely.

I grew up on a farm and we employed migrant workers. Never saw anyone come in on a plane. These folks are mostly paying their entire life savings to a coyote to help them cross the border. Often they're in tunnels, or swimming the river. It's a truly difficult journey.

For folks paying close attention, we are starting to hit a wall on our production capabilities in this country due to our overall employable workforce. We need extensive immigration reform ASAP to supercharge our economy. To put it bluntly, we need more workers. And we need to get those folks here legally, and provide them with the opportunity to pay payroll taxes and receive social benefits such as Medicare and retirement.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:54 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
I am for legal immigration.
My family had to wait 3 years in a European migrant camp (in Munich) to be properly vetted because my parents were from the other side of the iron curtain (East Germany).
My brother and I were born in that camp.

I think all migrants should be properly vetted and add a benefit to this country before being allowed in.
This could be in any field from science to field labor.
It is doing our country a disservice to allow otherwise.
Breaking these rules should be a punishable crime and no one should be above the law.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:11 PM

3,102 posts, read 2,225,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I am for legal immigration.
My family had to wait 3 years in a European migrant camp (in Munich) to be properly vetted because my parents were from the other side of the iron curtain (East Germany).
My brother and I were born in that camp.

I think all migrants should be properly vetted and add a benefit to this country before being allowed in.
This could be in any field from science to field labor.
It is doing our country a disservice to allow otherwise.
Breaking these rules should be a punishable crime and no one should be above the law.
I am likely on the other end of the political spectrum and a legal immigrant but fully agree on everything you said. The problem is that neither political party sees a benefit in responsibly addressing this (and other) issue. The few reasonable politicians in the middle who might think of finding a solution that suits the country will get crucified by the right and left and will get voted out for daring - as we elect politicians for further ends of the spectrum. Unfortunately, that's where we find ourselves.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:14 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I don't think most people mind the people coming in.

It's the complete lack of any kind of vetting or control of smuggling at the Southern border that is the problem.

Smuggling ought to be stopped. And criminals need to be sent back.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Agree with the last two posts. We actually need workers to continue our economy. Low pay? Yes. But it keeps the economy churning. My hope is some of these workers can rise in the ranks. That is what it is all about.

Old 08-24-2022, 01:43 AM

So, basically, the 2013 Immigration reform bill that was co sponsored by 4 Democrats and 4 Republicans.

https://www.americanimmigrationcounc...migration-bill

“ S. 744 would require that a series of enforcement measures, or “triggers,” go into effect prior to completing the legalization process. For example, although undocumented immigrants will be allowed to register for the new Registered Provisional Immigrant (RPI) program almost immediately, before those in RPI status can apply to become lawful permanent residents the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) must certify that the Comprehensive Southern Border Security Strategy is deployed and operational, 700 miles of fencing is complete, 38,405 border patrol agents are deployed, and the E-Verify employment verification system is in place, among other requirements. The Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act (DREAM Act) and Agricultural Job Opportunities, Benefits, and Security Act (AgJobs) are both incorporated into the RPI program, but applicants who qualify under those provisions will be eligible to obtain legal permanent resident status more rapidly.

Other aspects of the bill, such as changes in family and employment-based immigration categories, would go into effect gradually, giving DHS the opportunity to reduce extensive backlogs that have built up due to a lack of available visa numbers. One of the key aspects of the bill, backed by both labor and business, is a new “W” worker program that could expand over time based on workforce needs. Although W visas are for a limited duration, workers in W status may eventually be eligible to apply for lawful permanent residence, marking the first time that such less-skilled nonimmigrant workers would be allowed to transition to permanent resident status without an employer’s sponsorship. S. 744 also expands permanent visas for many foreign graduates from U.S. universities in the sciences and related fields, increases over time the number of temporary high-skilled visas based on demand, and expands opportunities for entrepreneurs and investors to come to the U.S.

S. 744 also addresses long-overdue shortcomings of the immigration removal, detention, and court processes, including authorizing access to counsel for certain vulnerable populations, giving immigration judges more opportunity to make case-by-case determinations on removal decisions, and streamlining the asylum program. It also increases the penalties for certain criminal activities, making it more difficult or impossible to become a legal resident due to drunk-driving convictions, gang activity, domestic violence, passport fraud, and identity theft. Finally, S. 744 encourages immigrant integration through more targeted programs and foundations to help legal immigrants become citizens.”

As I said, the Democrats were on board, Boehner could have passed it in the House with some GOP but mostly Democratic votes, but he didn’t.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:05 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Not going to argue about bills from almost 10 years ago by people who aren't even there any more. Nothing about then resembles what it's like now. Is this why we can't get things done?

They have been coming back to work every year since... wasting a lot of time on things that don't matter.

WHAT ARE THEY DOING ABOUT IT NOW?

Old 08-24-2022, 10:32 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
Be nice to see some proof, not that I don't trust uhm, Corey Gibson with his 3k followers.
Corey Gibson, really? A well renown hater, politician wannabe, and one who routinely twists the facts to suit his America First agenda. Fact: ICE moved their flight operations center to Yakima a few years ago, the planes bring the border detainees to Yakima and then are bussed to Tacoma to the detention center there, not "unleashed" on society but readied for a hearing and transfer to Mexico and other destinations.

But Gibson knows his "followers" well enough to understand their lacking in doing their own looking into his BS claims, in the Gibson scenario, shadowy figures fly the illegals into America--AND UNLEASH THEM..This IS the heart and soul of fear mongering propaganda. I don't blame Gibson, a man obviously driven to his own brand of insanity, as much as I blame ignorance and the fact of its spread to near fanatical heights...

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ys-intentions/

Old 08-26-2022, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Not going to argue about bills from almost 10 years ago by people who aren't even there any more. Nothing about then resembles what it's like now. Is this why we can't get things done?

They have been coming back to work every year since... wasting a lot of time on things that don't matter.

WHAT ARE THEY DOING ABOUT IT NOW?
I’m not trying to argue with you. I’m pointing out the the Democratic Party is ready to do something about it now, in a bipartisan manner, and the GOP is not. I bet some Democrats will even agree to funding for more ‘wall’ if the GOP tones down its racist rhetoric about immigrants.

Do with that what you will. If you are a Republican, have you sent even an email to your Rep and/or Senator, urging them to pick up where the last viable bill left off? Messaging them will have little effect, but it will have an significantly greater effect than talking about it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington