Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,199 times

Advertisements

We rent our house out by the room. We live in the house on lower level and have an office and storage room with the other rooms that we rent out. We leave the open areas, kitchen, dining, living room furnished with furniture and equipment that can be used by everyone. The fact that we live there is in the lease, that we have an office in room #4 and that we come up into the common areas but do not go into the rooms without prior notice.

We have new renters that mentioned they have a lot of kitchen items and would like more space so we told them they could box a few items to clear out a cupboard but the other renters will need to have access to necessary cooking items that we left or they will have to use the ones they replace ours with.
I was in the dining area and noticed all our items were boxed, not only in kitchen but dining area so I sent a text asking if we could all meet, that I was confused as to why the items were boxed.

Had a meeting and tenant told us we could not come into the common areas without notice. We told them we live in the house and have an office as well as the washer/dryer are there so that’s not going to work. And again reiterated we do not go into the areas that they actually leased, their rooms with out notice but that does not pertain to the rest of the house.

Renter then started screaming F^&* Y^* and went up the stairs to his room (room #1) and slammed the door as loud as he could. The other renter that shares the room with him and the renter (who is their friend) and rents room #2 apologized for his behavior.

While we were discussing things at this meeting, we told the renter (Lidstone) that we live there and things will be remaining as it was and that it was up to him whether he stays or not and that he was to put everything back as it was. We offered he could leave with no further repercussions except not getting deposit back so long as house is cleaned up and they leave within allotted time. They said yes, this would be agreeable. Later I sent a quick text saying that we accept their notice to leave under what was verbally stated but we would need them to give us a written letter that they were leaving.

After we went to bed, Lidstone banged on our door so I ended up getting up and he gave me a 20 day lease termination notice. However the notice said we had to give deposit back and mentioned that they would not have to pay anything else.

We sent them a more formal letter stating that we would let them leave with no further funds so long as they
1. left by their chosen date Aug 24,2022.
2. Left house in good repair, everything back as it was
3. While still living in the house had to be civil and keep a comfortable living environment.(we do have other renters)
4. Leave 2 keys and forwarding address upon leaving

Then they did nothing, house is still a mess, items in boxes. I was informed that even though they had placed a notice that we should still require rent till they vacate. So since they had a late payment we sent a pay or quit notice both in person and certified mail.

They asked to see us and then gave us two notices, one that they resend their termination letter and one that gave us rules on how to live in the house. We were no longer allowed to go in the open areas, had to clean up the whole house, remove all out items except what’s in office and ask each tenant if they wanted us to clean their rooms as well. They sent the $360 past due via Veenmo. (I have removed all other funds from veenmo except this amount so that if I need to I can send back since you can’t refuse funds n veenmo) I haven’t done anything else, I’ve been trying to get hold of multiple lawyers but they are all so busy they haven’t called back.

Note: that when they moved in they showed up to pay first and last months rent but then told us they did not have the money. We, unfortunately trying to be nice sat with them and made a payment plan till they were caught up on rent and then they would pay rent as they were supposed to the 28th day of the month before. We include in our rent, utilities, water, garbage and wi-fi.

I’ve been trying to get a lawyer but no one is available, tried to do the online but it was difficult in the 500 words forum.

Ive since sent back the veenmo $360 and stated in a text that we do not accept his rescinding of his notice. He keeps texting me that I am wrong and that he is now talking with his lawyer. Not sure how he has one and I can’t get one because they are so busy.

Im very uncomfortable in my own home now. What do I do. Ive tried to fix this on my own but feel Im just making it messy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 10:19 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
That's what you get for being nice, Mr First Time Poster. Tenants don't see that as nice, they see that as easy to take advantage of.

You will have to evict him, so you might as well file right now and get the process started. Hire a mean lawyer who specializes in evictions and just do what it takes to get him out. Don't drag it out hoping it will somehow get better. get him out.

I suggest you learn how to screen your applicants better because I assure you, he was not a perfect model tenant until the day he moved into your place. He has done this before and you should have discovered that and rejected his application.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:50 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, are you searching specifically for RE lawyers? If not, that would be the way to go.

Very strange that a tenant feels he can dictate terms to the LL. It's clear on the lease he's renting a bedroom only, not an entire floor. The top floor is shared among all occupants, which includes you, as the lease states. Ergo, you of course have the same right the tenants do to the use of the common areas.

This is a no-brainer. Lesson for the future: if a prospective tenant arrives and says they don't have the money for the move-in requirements (first, last month's rent & deposit), do not rent to them. It's asking for chronic problems. There are bizarre personalities out there. Things can change on a dime once they get moved into their rental space. They can be hard to evict.

Sorry you're going through this. You do need a lawyer. Good luck, and keep us updated, please.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:22 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
If he makes any threats, in writing, text messages, etc., or before a witness, get a no-contact order, then change the locks.

Old 08-13-2022, 05:54 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,519 times
What an entirely miserable situation to live in, and exactly why we would never ever rent out any rooms in our home no matter how great it would be to have extra money.

Old 08-13-2022, 06:55 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,187,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
What an entirely miserable situation to live in, and exactly why we would never ever rent out any rooms in our home no matter how great it would be to have extra money.
OMG do I ever agree with you. It's one thing to rent an apartment in an apartment dwelling but not a room in a house. Then have to share it with strangers.

OP you are so lucky you haven't been physically harmed by now. For this tenant to behave this way I gather he knows the system and how long it will take for you to finally realize you can't reason with him. I think it can take up to maybe a month to get to court after his being served the papers. He is going to be a real problem then.

Why would you put yourself in such a potential dangerous situation?

Old 08-13-2022, 09:05 PM

131 posts, read 323,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post

Why would you put yourself in such a potential dangerous situation?
Back in The Day, we called them boarding houses. For the most part, they sucked.

There's a lot of them in Bellingham because many people moving here didn't do their due diligence. If they had, it would be obvious you need a minimum $60k a year to afford an apartment.

You can easily spot the boarding houses: many California license plates and garbage all over the yard.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Handle this legally, quickly, sternly.
Change the locks
Install security video (if you don't have it, which you should)
Hire security if you get threats
Document everything (with time and date stamp)

Don't do this again.
Accept only proven, competent, boarders, thoroughly screened (Never advertise for renters, only take referrals, otherwise you MUST comply with Fair Housing rules (tough to get rid of type people, who will make your life very miserable, and potentially unsafe. )

Old 08-15-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Back in The Day, we called them boarding houses. For the most part, they sucked.

There's a lot of them in Bellingham because many people moving here didn't do their due diligence. If they had, it would be obvious you need a minimum $60k a year to afford an apartment.

You can easily spot the boarding houses: many California license plates and garbage all over the yard.
I only know them from old TV shows like the twilight zone. The one with mickey Rooney in a room where he gave up his old self and became another kind of person with confidence. The other one with a little girl who was a PIA with the tenant who had the dummy that would talk to him. That's about all I ever knew of those kind of places.

But my impression of the OP is that this is a nice single family house with a few extra rooms. Not really set up like a boarding house that's similar to an apartment building except it has one shared kitchen and bathroom.

If it's the former then to me that is just so dangerous and very personal. If it's the latter well it could also be dangerous but that I take it would need to inspected by town and state before renting.

The way things are today I think people are really putting their life in danger sharing everything with a stranger.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:36 AM

Since this thread I looked in YouTube and found people who went through hell for doing this exact same thing. I think all these online articles about landlords doubling their rents is making people have dollar signs in their heads. Now here people want to rent out their condos while visiting relatives. All because one person got lucky with a good tenant and they have a realtor living in the building she hears ca ching in her mind, again with dollar signs, getting new tenants in her building.

The problem is now the sicko's, deadbeats, squatters are taking advantage just as many people with dollar signs in their heads are with renting out a room in their home. Yes I know many people need the extra money but it's really better to just get a part time job. They have to pay tax on rental income anyway so may as well just get a part time job. Also make copies of all checks for the CPA in case you are accused of being paid cash and never accept cash. You will most likely get clobbered over the head when the steal back for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: