Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 16,096 times

Advertisements

My house has 5 bedrooms. since kids are all out I want to rent the 4 not used bedrooms. This is a one family house. Is it legal to rent them? I live in Morris county, Hanover Township

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 06:12 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
I don't see why not. Lots of people do it.

Although don't count on me for legalities as this is one area I know nothing about.

I guess it's no different than having a room mate though.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:31 AM

336 posts, read 1,295,933 times
I would be very careful letting people into my home.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:33 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Default 1) Ask the town, 2) Ask a real estate lawyer

It's all about what town you live in. Some municipalities permit owner-occupants to rent to boarders and others do not. To get a "first answer," call the Hanover Township building department. Ask them if boarding is allowed in your town.

Even if the town prohibits it, the recent trend has been to ignore these restrictions. Rulings in some court cases have gone against the legal restrictions and in favor of the homeowner. If the town tells you that it's against the law but you really want to do this, consult an attorney. Boarding out rooms may technically be against the law but it may be an unenforceable law that would be overturned by a judge if you were to challenge it and/or the town were to prosecute you.

You've started off the right way. You're asking the questions before getting yourself into what may become a sticky situation. That's commendable.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:01 AM

777 posts, read 2,380,229 times
I couldn't find anything concrete, you'll have to check with the town. I doubt you will be able to rent out all 5 bedrooms. They might consider that a rooming house. Don't think your neighbors would be too happy with that, especially if you are in a single family zone. The town might require certain safety requirements in case of fire.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:25 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,172 times
I'm guessing your neighbors reactions will be based on who you rent to. Don't you have a lot of neices and nephews going to some local school?;-}
I'd try the local rental housing association, they can teach you how to do a background check and tell you if it is legal, and you can join them and learn all the other aspects you wil have to be familiar with.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:05 AM

189 posts, read 301,457 times
I would be very careful with this and make sure it's legal before you do anything. Check with your township office, they should be able to give you that information or tell you where to get it. Keep in mind also that if your neighbors don't like what you're doing, they can make a great deal of trouble for you even in the event that you keep within what's legal. They have access to lawyers too, and the last thing you want is to be served with papers and have to respond to them. If you're wise, you'll ask them if they'd have any objections. You don't have to abide by them, but their response will tell you whether they're likely to take action against you or not.

I've seen both sides of this question. As someone who lived next to a single family house where the people rented out rooms (illegally) I can tell you that it was awful to live next to. Far too many cars and too much activity and noise and comings and goings at all hours of the day and night. If I'd owned the house I was renting, I would have called my lawyer - as it was, I came to the end of my lease and moved. I mention this so that you'll take into consideration the possibility that your neighbors will very strongly object, even if you abide by the legalities. If they do, they can hand you more trouble, costly trouble, than the rentals would be worth.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
Call the town. Sounds like from past questions, there will be SOME limit to UNRELATED people living in a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: