Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 12:21 PM

9 posts, read 8,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, the Sequim area has affordable RE, and farms. Plus beautiful views.

OP, before you get too carried away by properties on the islands, be aware that the smaller islands, like the one you found, have no ferry service. You need your own boat to ferry your own food either from the larger island nearby, or from Anacortes. Vancouver BC is like this, too; there are amazing properties on the islands nearby, but there's no ferry service, and some of the homes don't even have their own water supply, other than rain catchment! No wonder the beautiful homes are affordable, right? But another thing about the islands is, that people are really friendly and helpful. Everyone knows everyone else, and they pitch in when needed.
Thank you - that's great to know. I actually love the idea of no ferry service and boating for groceries (used to be a sailor) but my partner is not so keen, so your comments are super helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 01:07 PM

24 posts, read 20,232 times
Granite Falls WA.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:58 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,723,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2Next2022 View Post
OMG - absolutely gorgeous! I miss the mountains!
Thanks. The PNW has many beautiful mountains which was one of the big draws for us along with beautiful coast, rivers, lakes and Sound.

We moved here from CA also but lived in CO. There are quite a Californians who have migrated north, some on this thread.

I think you mentioned your partner didn't like the Portland weather. That will likely be the biggest challenge if you want more of that NorCal climate (more sun, fewer clouds). But its a heck of lot nicer than the east coast with all that snow! So, that's where you might need to bend a little and accept some compromise to gain other benefits. That is if the PNW is really right for you both. That's really an individual thing based upon many person preferences and goals.

It sounds like you are performing your due diligence in your research which you then should follow-up with a number of visits. And yes, don't discount parts of OR and NorCal as well. Then perform a compare/contrast of the pros/cons for each knowing nothing will be perfect - just one a bit better for you than the other. Let us know what you discover.

Derek

Old 07-19-2022, 12:05 AM

5,469 posts, read 7,766,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
You missed the point. It was not like this in this area until about 3 years ago.

There are NO JOBS. COL is CRAZY for this area. It was possible for lower income families/individuals to live here in the past. IT IS DIFFERENT NOW. You need lots of $$$$$$$$$.
No, I didn't miss the point. Pretty much every attractive and popular part of the US is experiencing the same COL inflation as the Pacific Northwest. Try buying a house in Colorado. Or even Texas and you will find the same thing. Housing prices in my old home town of Waco TX have about doubled in the past few years and it isn't anything special I can promise you.

Old 07-19-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
No, I didn't miss the point. Pretty much every attractive and popular part of the US is experiencing the same COL inflation as the Pacific Northwest. Try buying a house in Colorado. Or even Texas and you will find the same thing. Housing prices in my old home town of Waco TX have about doubled in the past few years and it isn't anything special I can promise you.
I think what has changed in the past few years that is more unique to places like Sequim is that prices are going up regardless of available jobs. The economics have changed. This has more to do with the latest ripple effects of Covid with remote work becoming much more commonplace across the US and world. There is a socio-economic 'leveling' occurring since many can now work wherever they want to. So, its not just retirees and wandering young people looking for those scarce, low paying local jobs anymore. The playing field and economic rules have completely changed.

This trend will continue whether we have a recession and an associated real estate market crash or not. The more remote parts of the PNW along with rest of the nation will continue to see these kinds of sustained increases longer term that don't match their 'local' economies. And their local infrastructures and limited services will need to change as a result. Or they will simply remain under served and it will become the new norm - no doctors accepting new patients, fewer service workers available, etc...

Derek

Old 07-19-2022, 11:31 AM

1,684 posts, read 2,715,371 times
Maybe people who moved out to these areas might get tired of not being able to get services easily (vets, doctors, plumbers etc.) and it could reverse the trend of overwhelming the local infrastructure and pricing the locals out. Places are less desirable over the long haul if they are not easy to live in regardless of scenery.

Old 07-19-2022, 11:50 AM

14,547 posts, read 12,185,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Maybe people who moved out to these areas might get tired of not being able to get services easily (vets, doctors, plumbers etc.) and it could reverse the trend of overwhelming the local infrastructure and pricing the locals out. Places are less desirable over the long haul if they are not easy to live in regardless of scenery.
I too have wondered if we might see, in the next few years, just that kind of tide change, where people who moved out here to get away from the cities, and the pandemic, and because they could, and drove the prices up, decide they don't really want to live here after all.

Some growth in services will happen out here. But the country isn't going to build a new city full of hospitals, nightlife, shopping and hospitals overnight and misplaced suburbians may find that the locals don't really want that even if they could.

Old 07-19-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I too have wondered if we might see, in the next few years, just that kind of tide change, where people who moved out here to get away from the cities, and the pandemic, and because they could, and drove the prices up, decide they don't really want to live here after all.

Some growth in services will happen out here. But the country isn't going to build a new city full of hospitals, nightlife, shopping and hospitals overnight and misplaced suburbians may find that the locals don't really want that even if they could.
I think there will be some of that as folks realize their romanticized notions of living in the country isn't all they thought it would be. Or there is no Trader Joes within miles, so its basically unlivable. lol

But you also have to keep in mind some folks who moved to the big cities for jobs didn't grow up city slickers. Rather, they moved there out of necessity. So, now that their big city jobs allow remote work, there are more options opened up to them including these more remote PNW areas. As a result, there will be a new sustained increase regardless of natural attrition and buyer's remorse for some.

I don't think things will ever go back to those good old days with lower prices for all. Locals will always feel a bit displaced as we see on these forums already asking people to stop moving to <fill in the blank>. Unfortunately, That will not be able to stem the tide of newcomers rolling in.

Derek

Old 07-19-2022, 01:50 PM

14,547 posts, read 12,185,505 times
I agree in large part Derek... and we do want some growth, always, stagnation or shrinking population leads to decay. Moderation is good.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 07-19-2022 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-19-2022, 02:35 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I think you mentioned your partner didn't like the Portland weather.

Portland is more exposed to adverse weather than Seattle: both to harsh rain squalls from the Pacific Ocean and bone-chilling winds shooting through the Columbia Gorge from east of the Cascades. It is also hotter than Seattle in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington