Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 11:31 AM

8,220 posts, read 16,719,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Rainier (above) is good, I was going to encourage you to look somewhere in Thurston, Mason, or Lewis Counties.

Your list of wants is just about exactly like my own. We have acreage here and horses, goats, chickens, a creek, a lot of maple and Oak trees with good fall color (not like Vermont, but not bad for the Evergreen state!)

There's a lot of good horse country here in Rochester where you can afford a nice place on 5-10 acres with a house and barn... places that look just like Donkey's link above (or better).... There's lots of places with water features like a pond or creek, the key then is to also look at drainage and flooding. We're close enough to a small town with necessities like groceries, a restaurant or two, feed/hardware and gas, but still less than 30 minutes from Home Depot or Costco in Olympia or Centralia for serious purchases and stocking up. I think we're right in a sweet spot here, and we're only a little over an hour from Seattle, the ocean, or the mountains, for recreation.

In this part of South Thurston county, we are a little redder than Olympia, were pretty resistant to mask mandates during covid, and I don't see very many still wearing them now. Other nice small towns around here are Tenino, or maybe Winlock if you don't mind being a little further from bigger town amenities or need to commute to such.
Diana,

Since you live in the country and help others to find the same, I curious about one thing - fertile soil. I'm no farmer, but I do enjoy gardening and I've noticed a lot of non-optimal soil conditions here in Clark County. We have hard clay just underneath the surface. So, I have to amend the soil to get things to grow. Yet, I also live right next to what appears to be recreational farmers growing corn and what not out there with their tractors. So, maybe they're making it to work even if not ideal conditions. I don't really know. I would imagine it is similar in many/most parts of WW. What are your thoughts on this?

Isn't the Willamette Valley in OR better known for farming, generally speaking?

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 11:46 AM

14,538 posts, read 12,171,963 times
Yes the Willamette is serious farm land... Many of the river and glacier valleys have better soil than the surrounding hills. Ag land is generally in these valleys. Anything that isn't flood plain is often hill, and covered in trees, which doesn't help the soil. Places that were forested that are cleared generally don't have great soils without help, they are fairly depleted.

Soils in the region are all over the board and you really just need to look at each property for what's important to you. You can look in person, or if you're serious about it, there are soil maps online.

Horse people generally want good drainage, mud is our enemy. Rochester is actually known for its sand and gravel and well draining soils.... with several local gravel pits within a few miles, we supply rock and gravel to the whole region. Hard to grow anything in it, but it's not muddy.

That said, my hill here is clay.... The only clay in Rochester. So it depends!

Old 07-13-2022, 01:22 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,714,283 times
If you want good soil in Washington you can find it in areas of Skagit County. The old river soil is very fertile, even in areas out of the current flood plain. The landscape has changed a great deal in the last 10,000 years so you can get rich soil in places that aren't currently beside a river. You can also get rocky soil, clay soil and sandy soil so you have to look at the individual property.

Like Diana said, if you want a horse, you don't want nice black fertile soil (or clay) because you will get so much mud you'll need to put down gravel. You have to choose- if you want a nice garden and rich soil, you'll have to modify for the horse. If you want well-drained sandy soil, you'll have to add compost for the garden.

That said, you could luck out and get drainage just right with fertile soil, or do some earthwork to improve drainage.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:34 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,719,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
If you want good soil in Washington you can find it in areas of Skagit County. The old river soil is very fertile, even in areas out of the current flood plain. The landscape has changed a great deal in the last 10,000 years so you can get rich soil in places that aren't currently beside a river. You can also get rocky soil, clay soil and sandy soil so you have to look at the individual property.

Like Diana said, if you want a horse, you don't want nice black fertile soil (or clay) because you will get so much mud you'll need to put down gravel. You have to choose- if you want a nice garden and rich soil, you'll have to modify for the horse. If you want well-drained sandy soil, you'll have to add compost for the garden.

That said, you could luck out and get drainage just right with fertile soil, or do some earthwork to improve drainage.
I wonder how the soil is out on the San Juan Islands she was looking at? Do you think it varies there as well or is it generally better or worse than it's mainland counterparts?

Derek

Old 07-13-2022, 03:08 PM

14,538 posts, read 12,171,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I wonder how the soil is out on the San Juan Islands she was looking at? Do you think it varies there as well or is it generally better or worse than it's mainland counterparts?

Derek

Most of the San Juan Islands are solid rock with very little topsoil of any kind.... even drain fields can be a real challenge there.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,150,330 times
WSU (land grant university) has soil profiles of each county.

They get to extreme detail, especially in ag producing counties. There is geological soils supporting excellent growing in most of the western counties. (Select areas) most of the really nice soils are now growing houses, as has always been a battle for heritage farm. (Clark county poor farm, / WSU field station) lots of pressure to develop into apartments, but thanks to a cemetery, there is also a push to retain the site as community ag. Sandy loam soils (as is nearby Lincoln district) large mounds of very fertile soils. Zero rocks.

Bottom land (Skagit valley) is another source of fertile soils for ag in western WA.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:28 AM

441 posts, read 441,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Honestly, everything you describe points to the more remote corners of Clark County which is Vancouver WA (across the Columbia from Portland) but includes a lot of more remote rural lands running up into the foothills of the Cascades. Lots of homeschoolers here doing exactly the thing you are describing.

For example, just to pick some random Zillow listing in rural Clark County (town of Amboy): https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...23332656_zpid/

Here's another example: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...46689429_zpid/
That's what I was thinking too. I have not lived there but i do live in the PNW and have been through most of WA state.

Bonus WA has no income tax and if you live close enough drive into OR to buy groceries and whatever else (except gas ) we have no sales tax.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:22 PM

5,468 posts, read 7,761,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
WSU (land grant university) has soil profiles of each county.

They get to extreme detail, especially in ag producing counties. There is geological soils supporting excellent growing in most of the western counties. (Select areas) most of the really nice soils are now growing houses, as has always been a battle for heritage farm. (Clark county poor farm, / WSU field station) lots of pressure to develop into apartments, but thanks to a cemetery, there is also a push to retain the site as community ag. Sandy loam soils (as is nearby Lincoln district) large mounds of very fertile soils. Zero rocks.

Bottom land (Skagit valley) is another source of fertile soils for ag in western WA.
Yes, but they aren't making any more of it and I doubt the OP will find an acreage in the Skagit Valley for her price range. Here's your 5 acres in Mt. Vernon for a cool $2 million. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...23350440_zpid/

Or a nice 6 acres in Sedro Woolley for $1.2 million: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...71000796_zpid/

Old 07-14-2022, 05:15 PM

8,178 posts, read 8,320,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2Next2022 View Post
Hello there,

I've spent a few hours reading through the forums this morning and realize there's a ton of good info posted, but would love to get some direct insights by anyone willing to help me narrow down my very broad field!

BACKGROUND
I've been living in Vermont for the past 16 years. While beautiful, the winters are too harsh and too long, and the property taxes are incredibly high. We considered heading south a bit, but high humidity/dew point is a problem for me and, well, I just prefer the feeling of the west. I moved to VT from Santa Barbara/Ojai CA to "get out of the rat race." I'm originally from England, although not sure that's relevant, except that I'm familiar with that weather and want to avoid it!

For me, the west feels expansive, has friendlier people, great topography, and good weather. I have no interest in Southern/Central CA.

Politically speaking, a couple of years ago my partner and I would have considered ourselves democrats. Now, neither side appeals what-so-ever, but the unveiling of the deep corruption in big pharma/FDA/CDC/big tech/big government, along with medical mandates, has us leaning more red than blue. I am not here to debate or cause an argument, just mentioning in case helpful towards the cause of finding home. I realize that WA is more blue and the governor has just implemented a mandate - no comment from me for the sake of civility!

I was looking into ID but I think the winters might be too long and cold. My partner lived in Portland, OR for a while - he's not a fan of the weather there.

I have been drooling over a few places on your islands that seem too good to be true! This one is out of my price range and I haven't looked closely at the details (I imagine there's all sorts of restrictions) but wow. Gorgeous. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M24937-36279.

Once I'm able to narrow things down a bit, I will fly out to visit.

IDEAL WORLD (I realize it's impossible to get all of this)
We are homesteaders so looking for:
1. A longer growing season (7a or better - plant hardiness map in WA looks good)
2. 5+ acres (more = better) with 1+ good soil to grow in, ability to have a horse, ducks, chickens, etc.
3. Private water supply (e.g. well - not on city water)
4. Ideally a creek/stream/pond or spring on the property
5. Beautiful area/views (you seem to have lots of that!)
6. Quiet area (away from sound of traffic)
7. Not in a flood plain or high fire hazard area
8. Good Air Quality and not near heavily polluted waterways/areas (but on or near good water would be fab)
9. Within 20 mins of a small walkable town for socializing (coffee shop, bars, couple of good restaurants, live music, farmers markets) but away from big box stores, strip malls, factory farms, big Ag, etc.
10.We love seasons and don't mind a bit of snow or cold, or rain and grey, or a few days of crazy hot, just as long as it doesn't last for too long. Rain is important for growing, so not too dry.
11. Not in an HOA
12. Deciduous trees a plus. We love openness, but not completely bald hills or flat plains:-)
13. Less likely to get trapped in smoke wafting in from other firey areas
14. Live and let live attitude with friendly folks who help each other out
15. Internet is, unfortunately, a necessity
16. If on small acreage, the ability to hop on a horse and go trail riding from the property without having to go on a busy road (I once lived in Topanga Canyon and have fond memories of galloping up the ridgeline of the state park).

BEAUTY
I once stayed at the Murie Center near Jacksonhole, WY. Weatherwise it just won't work, but the beauty of that area brought tears to my eyes. You know when you find a place that just speaks to your soul? Meadows, river, foothills, mountains...it doesn't get any better than that for me. Mentioning just in case anyone is familiar with that area and can compare.

BUDGET
$650k max, less is obviously better

Sorry this is so long and thanks in advance for anyone who has some ideas of towns/areas to look further into.

Thank you!!
Hi Whereto! I'm a little late to this thread. I'm a UVM graduate, grew up in Florida but often went to Vermont in the summer. Lots of people with Vermont roots have made their way out here, I've been here 33 years. There are properties that fit a lot of what you are looking for in Darrington WA. Arlington would be the "walkable town" that you drive into. Stunning mountains around Darrington, organic growers/hippies and country folk/country boys living pretty well together.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:37 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,429,168 times
Deciduous trees are largely in Seattle proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington