Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 01:57 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Yes, the Sequim area has affordable RE, and farms. Plus beautiful views.

OP, before you get too carried away by properties on the islands, be aware that the smaller islands, like the one you found, have no ferry service. You need your own boat to ferry your own food either from the larger island nearby, or from Anacortes. Vancouver BC is like this, too; there are amazing properties on the islands nearby, but there's no ferry service, and some of the homes don't even have their own water supply, other than rain catchment! No wonder the beautiful homes are affordable, right? But another thing about the islands is, that people are really friendly and helpful. Everyone knows everyone else, and they pitch in when needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 02:09 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
May I invite you to my home in Sequim where the neighbors maple and my oak and birch trees dump their leave all over the place in the fall. Maybe you could help rake a few leaves.

With only an average of 16 inches of rain I wouldn't consider Sequim a wetter area but still mostly green year around.
Thanks! I was referring to Western WA mainland but didn't specify that detail.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:37 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,705,829 times
This sounds like a **very** idealistic, tall order including things such as lots of land (5+ acres) on good soil, water property, great weather (better than Portland) where grey doesn't last too long, no public water. So, more off-the-grid but yet good, reliable internet. Assuming not ridiculously expensive. haha Relatively low price - $650k or preferably less. Close to a small walkable town with friendly people (i.e. no Seattle freeze) and on and on.

While its great to dream like that, you'll likely need to make some concessions/compromises. The property you posted is 800k and prices are still rising in the more desirable areas. Though if RE crashes at the time you happen to want to move, you may be in luck. Even if it goes down temporarily, it always bounces back. So market timing will be critical to actually getting a lower price. Some folks will be lucky if/when that occurs and there are investors just waiting for such times. But it won't be the norm or easy to find.

The biggest reality check will probably be the weather if your partner doesn't like Portland and you don't want too many cloudy days. Honestly, that sounds more like Northern California climate than the PNW. Even places like Sequim get their fair share of cloudy days throughout the winter months even if less rain. There will be prolonged periods without sun. But at least you won't have too much snow and less rain than PDX or Seattle. Its just that if its cloudy, well, then what does a little more rain matter? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I think that part of the 'rain shadow' promo line may be one of the most overhyped aspects of the PNW which draws retirees and others including homeless from all over and raises RE values accordingly. So, costs go up in these Shangri la dream like locations. But it's not a banana belt of sun and warmth either. If you want more of that kind of climate, you'll need to head further south to places like Brookings, Oregon - the banana belt of the PNW.

While its perfectly fine to dream, you just need to go in with eyes wide open realizing every location has its pros/cons and no place will be perfect. Once you narrow down some locations, you need to ask the locals for the *real* cons vs. real estate brochure sales pitches. For example, the lack of any decent medical care for many miles or even requiring a long boat ride to get to. Or the increase in homelessness, druggies, general seediness and crime in those quaint little 'hot spots' which may detract from that perfect small town friendly vibe. And the land, even if you could get 5+ acres will likely have lots of 'large' trees and hills vs. plantable soil. It's not going to be open land on the water perfect for farming or anything at least for those prices. If you read enough threads on here about the day to day life, you'll begin to see both sides of the coin. While they're not 'all' bad, they're far from perfect either. You'll just need to accept some underbelly aspects without *all* those other things if we're being real in any sort of way.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-12-2022 at 08:33 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 09:06 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
My daughter recently went through months and months of looking to buy a house here by herself.
Her max budget was 500k and it was tough not to get out bid on the nicer places.
I was right there with her looking at the places and inspecting them.

Had she found a nice place near the water on flat ground with 5 acres and close to things like groceries for 650K the wife and I would have loaned her the money that she was short.
We would have been stupid not to invest in her.

Point being I just don’t know where you are going to find this perfect deal around here.
We just spent months looking.

Derek is spot on about probably needing to make some compromises.

I have friends that are up on the hill that can’t grow crops.
Their land has bad soil, it is not flat and gets cold there.

If you get a chance to drive north on 101 from Blyn to Port Angeles during the snow season you will notice more snow every quarter mile and that will rapidly increase if you go up the hill.

I call them hills but they are really called the Olympic Mountains.
I really hope the best for you and am sending out positive vibes your way because I walked this path before.
Good luck to you and yours.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:38 PM

206 posts, read 136,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2Next2022 View Post
For me, the west feels expansive, has friendlier people, great topography, and good weather. I have no interest in Southern/Central CA.

Politically speaking,..., neither side appeals what-so-ever, but the unveiling of the deep corruption in big pharma/FDA/CDC/big tech/big government, along with medical mandates, has us leaning more red than blue.... I realize that WA is more blue and the governor ....
I was looking into ID but I think the winters might be too long and cold. My partner lived in Portland, OR for a while - he's not a fan of the weather there.

I have been drooling over a few places on your islands that seem too good to be true! ...

Once I'm able to narrow things down a bit, I will fly out to visit.

IDEAL WORLD (I realize it's impossible to get all of this)
We are homesteaders so looking for:
1. A longer growing season +
2. 5+ acres (more = better) +
3. Private water supply +
4. Ideally a creek/stream/pond or spring on the property+
5. Beautiful area/views (you seem to have lots of that!)+
6. Quiet area (away from sound of traffic)+
7. Not in a flood plain or high fire hazard area+ (earthquake zone OK?)
8. Good Air Quality and not near heavily polluted waterways/areas +
9. Within 20 mins of a small walkable town for socializing (coffee shop, bars, couple of good restaurants, live music, farmers markets) but away from big box stores, strip malls, factory farms, big Ag, etc.
10.We love seasons and don't mind a bit of snow or cold, or rain and grey, or a few days of crazy hot, just as long as it doesn't last for too long. Rain is important for growing, so not too dry.
11. Not in an HOA+
12. Deciduous trees a plus.+
13. Less likely to get trapped in smoke wafting in from other firey areas+
14. Live and let live attitude with friendly folks who help each other out
15. Internet is, unfortunately, a necessity
16. If on small acreage, the ability to hop on a horse and go trail riding from the property without having to go on a busy road + gonna take a bit of digging, but possible

BEAUTY
I once stayed at the Murie Center near Jacksonhole, WY. Weatherwise it just won't work, but the beauty of that area brought tears to my eyes. You know when you find a place that just speaks to your soul? Meadows, river, foothills, mountains...it doesn't get any better than that for me. Mentioning just in case anyone is familiar with that area and can compare.

BUDGET
$650k max, less is obviously better

Sorry this is so long and thanks in advance for anyone who has some ideas of towns/areas to look further into.

Thank you!!
Remember everywhere on west side of Cascades will have nearly identical weather to Portland. With slight variation.

East side of mtns is a good choice, but it is gray in winter also, and has strong certainty of wildfires.
Okanogan is a wonderful fertile area, and runs up into BC.
The base of Mt Baker is fertile, as are areas near My Vernon. (very rainy of course). There are some very strong grower / worker small ag co-op choices near Bellingham / Whatcom county (Farm-to-market / buy local support) Hood River OR is similar, but land is nearly all public owned, very expensive destination (Trust fund babies).

Clark County SWWA is really a poor choice (urban county, many rules, expenses, agencies and NOT eligible for USDA - ED funding and support for such things as internet...grower grants...), but neighboring Skamania, Klickitat, Cowlitz and Lewis are AG designee and are eligible for USDA funding for some inititiatives.

I'd suggest you stick with the WA Island's or nearby
Olympic Rain Shadow Map and Location (Don't let the sun graphic mislead you, it is NOT sunnier in rain shadow, it just drizzles less.

SE WA *Walla walla / Dayton are other potential options

and North central WA as previously mentioned.

Stay away from urban counties, they will make rural life and services very miserable and unlikely to be supported and will diminish.

Remember, WA and OR each have (3) populous counties that control 100% the majority voting for state wide measures (and they will not be in the rural interest). WY was great, because population of Jackson could not control the state politics. Colorado is a mess (politically and water rights). Idaho is under a lot of stress with newcomers, and they WILL change the sparsely populated state a lot.

Find your few spots, then start unearthing the specific neighborhoods and homes you are interested in.
Patience will be required to find the right place.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
Remember everywhere on west side of Cascades will have nearly identical weather to Portland. With slight variation.

East side of mtns is a good choice, but it is gray in winter also, and has strong certainty of wildfires.
Okanogan is a wonderful fertile area, and runs up into BC.
The base of Mt Baker is fertile, as are areas near My Vernon. (very rainy of course). There are some very strong grower / worker small ag co-op choices near Bellingham / Whatcom county (Farm-to-market / buy local support) Hood River OR is similar, but land is nearly all public owned, very expensive destination (Trust fund babies).

Clark County SWWA is really a poor choice (urban county, many rules, expenses, agencies and NOT eligible for USDA - ED funding and support for such things as internet...grower grants...), but neighboring Skamania, Klickitat, Cowlitz and Lewis are AG designee and are eligible for USDA funding for some inititiatives.

I'd suggest you stick with the WA Island's or nearby
Olympic Rain Shadow Map and Location (Don't let the sun graphic mislead you, it is NOT sunnier in rain shadow, it just drizzles less.

SE WA *Walla walla / Dayton are other potential options

and North central WA as previously mentioned.

Stay away from urban counties, they will make rural life and services very miserable and unlikely to be supported and will diminish.

Remember, WA and OR each have (3) populous counties that control 100% the majority voting for state wide measures (and they will not be in the rural interest). WY was great, because population of Jackson could not control the state politics. Colorado is a mess (politically and water rights). Idaho is under a lot of stress with newcomers, and they WILL change the sparsely populated state a lot.

Find your few spots, then start unearthing the specific neighborhoods and homes you are interested in.
Patience will be required to find the right place.
StealthRabbit's brother? haha

Old 07-12-2022, 11:30 PM

5,451 posts, read 7,746,787 times
Honestly?

For what you want, just stay in Vermont, put in a greenhouse to give yourself a longer growing season, and suck it up when it comes to winter.

Of if you insist on milder winters, move to some more central state with cheaper rural land like Arkansas or North Carolina.

Old 07-12-2022, 11:57 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...67109735_zpid/ ($680k, 4bd/3ba, 8.91 acres, well, septic, horse barn/arena, shop. About 15 minutes to Yelm, WA.)

Old 07-13-2022, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...67109735_zpid/ ($680k, 4bd/3ba, 8.91 acres, well, septic, horse barn/arena, shop. About 15 minutes to Yelm, WA.)
CrazyDonkey for the win! That's probably as close as you're going to get to that dream list for ~ $650k. The weather won't be any better than Portland. But at least its on acreage and not buried in the hills and trees somewhere. Not gonna be waterfront, but there may be a small creek nearby. Plus, nice view of the mountain.

Derek

Old 07-13-2022, 11:01 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Rainier (above) is good, I was going to encourage you to look somewhere in Thurston, Mason, or Lewis Counties.

Your list of wants is just about exactly like my own. We have acreage here and horses, goats, chickens, a creek, a lot of maple and Oak trees with good fall color (not like Vermont, but not bad for the Evergreen state!)

There's a lot of good horse country here in Rochester where you can afford a nice place on 5-10 acres with a house and barn... places that look just like Donkey's link above (or better).... There's lots of places with water features like a pond or creek, the key then is to also look at drainage and flooding. We're close enough to a small town with necessities like groceries, a restaurant or two, feed/hardware and gas, but still less than 30 minutes from Home Depot or Costco in Olympia or Centralia for serious purchases and stocking up. I think we're right in a sweet spot here, and we're only a little over an hour from Seattle, the ocean, or the mountains, for recreation.

In this part of South Thurston county, we are a little redder than Olympia, were pretty resistant to mask mandates during covid, and I don't see very many still wearing them now. Other nice small towns around here are Tenino, or maybe Winlock if you don't mind being a little further from bigger town amenities or need to commute to such.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 07-13-2022 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington