Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 01:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I do agree that 1,700 feet is a big difference in temperatures.
Where we are at half of that means you know how to use a snow shovel.
1,700 ft + Columbia Gorge = a heap of difference, and a good time to fetch some old fashioned golf shoes with metal spikes (or Glacier Ice Crampons) and tie a line between home and mailbox.

Our home can get coated in 3" of ice, can't see out, can't get out. (But it keeps pretty warm with no wind infiltration. )

When it starts to melt, you find out if your home is 'submarine quality' (Leakproof)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 09:13 PM

330 posts, read 428,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
1700 maybe? (Jackie, Mt. Rainier is only at about 14,000 feet!)
LOL, one extra zero makes a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1,700 ft + Columbia Gorge = a heap of difference, and a good time to fetch some old fashioned golf shoes with metal spikes (or Glacier Ice Crampons) and tie a line between home and mailbox.

Our home can get coated in 3" of ice, can't see out, can't get out. (But it keeps pretty warm with no wind infiltration. )

When it starts to melt, you find out if your home is 'submarine quality' (Leakproof)
if we get coated in ice I'm just staying home, same if 4 feet of snow as my landlady says can happen and then she says the roads get plowed pretty good, but the driveway has to wait until the ONE guy with a plow gets to us.

and I couldn't afford a new Subaru so I got an old one, to supplement my old Toyota. still need new tires and then I'm as ready as I can be.

oh, but I still need rain boots.

Old 11-08-2021, 10:42 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Ice is not a usual concern in Seattle. Snowfall is something different. It is EXTREMELY variable. Some winters get nothing, others get a foot or more. (This based on my observations from the past 50+ years). It is a crap shoot. And I mean a "CRAP" shoot! Yes, it seems snow was heavier back in the 60's and 70's, but there have been snow storms in recent decades that were severe. Who knows? Like I said, it is anyone's guess. Be prepared for heavy snow, but also be prepared for no snow at all. Such is a Seattle winter.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:29 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
For men or women, look for waterproof slip-on boots for casual around town wear. Mostly you will be navigating wet pavement, puddles, and mud, not snow. Some examples.

Blundstone

Keen

Rossi

etc....

Old 11-09-2021, 06:59 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
The scariest thing for me is slipping on ice on pavement or concrete & I STILL haven't found a reliable anti-slip for that. Mud, etc. isn't an issue.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:41 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
These are the ones my wife got.
They seem nice enough.

I just bought me some chest waders with attached boots to fish the River.
Did you know they sell little spike inserts for them to keep you from slipping on mossy rocks in the River?
Looks like snow tire studs.

I might get some and add just a couple for walking on the ice.
They can also be removed easy enough.
Attached Thumbnails
footwear when it's 35 and rainy-7e50f880-e590-476e-a760-4e67fd9b24a8.jpeg  

Old 11-10-2021, 04:10 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
^^Are you talking about crampons? I know that is what my kid uses for backpacking on trails with snow & ice...but that's in Colorado.

Someone gave me some chain-like things that go over boots, but they don't stay in place.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:10 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
^^Are you talking about crampons? I know that is what my kid uses for backpacking on trails with snow & ice...but that's in Colorado.

Someone gave me some chain-like things that go over boots, but they don't stay in place.
Having lived all over the PNW and now in AK, I've tried lots of ice cleat combinations for shoes over the years. Chain cleats, spikes, golf shoes, and all the different Yaktraks. I've tried the cheaper roll-into-a-pocket ice cleats but many only have 2-3 cleats on the toe and none on the heel. What's the point? Most people put most of their weight on their heels, not toes!

The ones I feel are most versatile and keep going back to are Stabilicers Light. They fit more snugly than the chain type grips but much like the original Yaktraks, are still easy to pull off when you reach your destination. The metal cleats are not so sharp that they'll damage carpet or flooring (so you can walk indoors or on thawed hard surfaces for a short distance...carefully...they'll slip on hard smooth surfaces if you don't pay attention). Nice for surfaces that keep changing from ice to snow to clear. They will fit a variety of shoe types and roll up into a purse. REI has them but you can get them various places...

https://www.rei.com/product/760710/s...action-devices

When we get that truly Zamboni-smooth rock hard ice with an inch of rain on top I find Yaktraks slip. Stabilicers not so much. Yaktraks work a little better in deeper fresh snow. I've also found that Yaktraks are a bit more likely to get snagged on car foot pedals while driving. Stabilicers don't because they don't have those coil loops that cross the sole of the shoe.

Another option for serious ice are Icebugs shoes. The cleats are embedded in the sole of the shoe itself. Yes, the cleats are sharp so you need to take the shoes off when you go indoors. My Icebugs are zip off boots so they're easy to remove when you hit the indoors. They now offer a pull on "overshoe" that will protect floors from the cleats. They can roll up into a pocket.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:45 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Those look cool Parnassia.

Our area is easy enough to walk around on until you walk on the deck.
I have to walk on an iced deck to enter my house.

The ones I saw that interested me was the stud insert kind.
I think I might install one or two on a shoe to try them out.
I don’t need much so it might work.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:19 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Those look cool Parnassia.

Our area is easy enough to walk around on until you walk on the deck.
I have to walk on an iced deck to enter my house.

The ones I saw that interested me was the stud insert kind.
I think I might install one or two on a shoe to try them out.
I don’t need much so it might work.
I keep a pair in my car. If the ice condition where I happen to go is different than the one I just left, I've got something on hand. If you arrive home to an icy deck, you'll have something to put on your shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: