Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Fed/Potus Mandates needed for WA?
Yes, these Federal/Potus Vax Mandates are needed 55 29.57%
No, these Fed/Potus Vax Mandates are NOT needed 124 66.67%
We don't know yet 7 3.76%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 08:39 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,286,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I didn't see insult and ridicule.

I'm non-partisan.

Losing patience? I can see this. Potus and many others, including me.

The non-vaxxers are poorly-informed, don't speak their native language of English well and refer to being a "conservative" whatever that means....they usually don't know....they never cite science nor studies....watch TV....listen to radio.

These are ignorant people. I watch and listen to their interviews every day.

Hit them hard. Mandate, away.
Clearly, everyone's opinion is different on Biden's approach to vaccine mandates. My point was that the more a democratic politician pushes, especially if he's being antagonistic, the more the people who are against the vaccine BECAUSE a democratic politician is pushing it - are going to resist.

This resistance has happened before - Obama's "tough" gun control speeches led to the highest rate of gun purchasing during any president's term.

And BTW, call them "ignorant" IS insult and ridicule. Most anti-vax people I know are against government control, not against some fake news about the vaccine. For better or for worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 08:49 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,119,747 times
We saw a protest in Sequim at the “Over the Fence intersection” about a month ago.
I’m a tad bit to the right of center and respect peaceful protest.
That said it kinda creeped me out.
I didn’t see any fatties but I did see the Jesus saves/Jesus hates people in the crowd.
I think that triggered my creepy feeling.
I also didn’t dig having to pass through a crowd of unvaccinated people.
I do believe that there is herd immunity but I’m cool with baby steps when it comes to me.

The wife and I were showing the area to a friend from California and at the start I was like look at all these pot store signs they are ugly.
Towards the end of the drive I’m like you know I hate these Jesus loves/Jesus hates signs even worse.
Oddly the Biden, the Trump signs don’t bug me at all.

About not belonging to anything,
I’m different than most so I don’t fit in with most but I have found that there are others like me.
Not all that many but I’m cool with that.

We never met so many people than when we were into kids sports.

I was googling if I could catch squid where I’m at and a really cool fishing club came up.
$25 for a membership $35 for family membership.
News letters, dinner parties, outdoor trips and community volunteering opertunities.
I’ll take me some of that.

Chances are overtime we will only make a couple of good friends here and I’m good with that.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:27 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,702,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
We saw a protest in Sequim at the “Over the Fence intersection” about a month ago.
I’m a tad bit to the right of center and respect peaceful protest.
That said it kinda creeped me out.
I didn’t see any fatties but I did see the Jesus saves/Jesus hates people in the crowd.
I think that triggered my creepy feeling.
I also didn’t dig having to pass through a crowd of unvaccinated people.
I do believe that there is herd immunity but I’m cool with baby steps when it comes to me.

The wife and I were showing the area to a friend from California and at the start I was like look at all these pot store signs they are ugly.
Towards the end of the drive I’m like you know I hate these Jesus loves/Jesus hates signs even worse.
Oddly the Biden, the Trump signs don’t bug me at all.

About not belonging to anything,
I’m different than most so I don’t fit in with most but I have found that there are others like me.
Not all that many but I’m cool with that.

We never met so many people than when we were into kids sports.

I was googling if I could catch squid where I’m at and a really cool fishing club came up.
$25 for a membership $35 for family membership.
News letters, dinner parties, outdoor trips and community volunteering opertunities.
I’ll take me some of that.

Chances are overtime we will only make a couple of good friends here and I’m good with that.
The thing is... at first I was all like, "Yeah! Power to the people!". Like, I was GLAD to see people protesting the mandates. Where I live nobody does that... we only have BLM signs since last summer (still plenty in people's yards). Last year my HOA got into it deep by offering specially ordered DYI community specific BLM decoration kits (I'm not even kidding). I was quite disappointed that our HOA would lend itself to such politically oriented movement, but knowing who is at the helm of the organization I wasn't very much surprised. Left of center around here for sure, but doesn't bother me because I know lots of Republicans in this 'hood too.

But our Republicans, are frankly, more like our Democrats than their counterparts at the Sumner protest yesterday. At least in dress and behavior. Nobody around here wears Jesus shirts or holds up Jesus signs. We do have American flag waving, but usually only one. And never the size of a king size comforter.
And everyone around here tends to be fit. Or fitter. Maybe just a little belly (as is typical for the 40 and up crowd).

So there are socioeconomic factors at play.

I think most right of center folks here are also vaccinated, not because they want to be, but because they're pragmatic. They would support and look favorably upon mandate protests, but not be willing to engage in one themselves.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:45 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,119,747 times
I’m a bumpkin that likes to live in really nice neighborhoods so I get it .

Back to the topic,
The United States has what a couple million people or something like that that had covid and I’m one of them.
Do they really need to take a gamble on a new vaccine?
This is a legit argument.

Then there are what I call weirdos who have put people at risk before the vaccines were peaked.
We know a couple of them that don’t social distance themselves from people, hug new people and nonsense like that.
One of which works with kids .

Any how I say open it all up regardless of any mandates.
Take baby steps, keep your guard up and let the chips fall where they may.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:47 AM

3,710 posts, read 2,444,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
And BTW, call them "ignorant" IS insult and ridicule. Most anti-vax people I know are against government control, not against some fake news about the vaccine. For better or for worse.
I never intended to insult nor ridicule them.

I do understand your point.

But my comment....that they are 'ignorant' is very accurate (I don't think it's entirely a subjective perception).

An anti-vaxxer asked me a couple days ago what is RNA? Referring to the mRNA vaccine and I noted Viral Vector and Vero Cell.

This person....like so many....is very ignorant.....

Against government control? Yes, that is the foundation for many (and some philosophical views by some in certain parts of the country.

That is why....IMO....that they are ignorant.....they are missing the entire point.

This particular vaccine (not all of them) and all of the circumstances from the last 1 1/2 years until now and in the future about this pandemic ....should be entirely based on.....SCIENCE.

This is....ignorance....there is no other way to put it.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:52 AM

3,710 posts, read 2,444,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I hate that this is so politically divisive.

I hate that I don't belong to anything
I am very glad that I do not belong to anything.....meaning taking "one side or the other."

It's a lack of logic.

For so many people it's like choosing 1 team to root for out of two, and then blindly waving pom-poms on the sidelines wearing the colors and rooting one's team without even thinking.

Forget critical thought or having one's own opinion anymore.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:50 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,286,195 times
Quote:
I never intended to insult nor ridicule them.

I do understand your point.

But my comment....that they are 'ignorant' is very accurate (I don't think it's entirely a subjective perception).

An anti-vaxxer asked me a couple days ago what is RNA? Referring to the mRNA vaccine and I noted Viral Vector and Vero Cell.

This person....like so many....is very ignorant.....

Against government control? Yes, that is the foundation for many (and some philosophical views by some in certain parts of the country.

That is why....IMO....that they are ignorant.....they are missing the entire point.

This particular vaccine (not all of them) and all of the circumstances from the last 1 1/2 years until now and in the future about this pandemic ....should be entirely based on.....SCIENCE.

This is....ignorance....there is no other way to put it.
Ignorance as to the science of the vaccine is not really the point. I agree that most may be ignorant to the scientific mechanics of the vaccine, but I would bet that very few Americans - whether vaccinated or unvaccinated - understands how an mRNA vaccine actually works.

And still, IMO, ignorance may have been a factor early in the vaccine roll-out, but now with full Pfizer approval and such, the majority of people at this point who are adamant anti-vaxxers are that way due to political differences rather than ignorance to the effects of the vaccine.

And therefore, to those people, these mandates are worsening those opinions/differences.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:51 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,333,094 times
Isn't the definition of madness "Doing the same thing over, and over, expecting a different result."?

boosters?

Old 09-12-2021, 11:07 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,702,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Ignorance as to the science of the vaccine is not really the point. I agree that most may be ignorant to the scientific mechanics of the vaccine, but I would bet that very few Americans - whether vaccinated or unvaccinated - understands how an mRNA vaccine actually works.

And still, IMO, ignorance may have been a factor early in the vaccine roll-out, but now with full Pfizer approval and such, the majority of people at this point who are adamant anti-vaxxers are that way due to political differences rather than ignorance to the effects of the vaccine.

And therefore, to those people, these mandates are worsening those opinions/differences.
I took college level Biology. I had to identify cellular components and their functions. But I couldn't tell you how the mRNA vaccines mechanically work. Only that they are implicated in making copies of DNA instruction. And maybe even that's wrong!

Even so.. I don't outright believe the vaccines are going to be our way out of this. Because of variants. Because pragmatically we can't and won't vaccinate every single human on the planet.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:58 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,841,653 times
Quote:
Interesting article. When was the first US Supreme Court ruling over Mandated Vaccines?

116 years ago in 1905.

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...he-right-thing
Bingo! Imagine if smallpox, measles, chicken pox, mumps, and now Covid is allowed to rage uncontrolled with out vaccination. We would be back living in the time of the plague where no one is safe. We are very fortunate to be living in these times vs 1918 or earlier. The black death of the 1600's killed an estimated 25 million and lingered on for centuries. It still exists in nature but modern antibiotics has had a huge effect. Just as vaccination against Covid has a huge effect.

Look. Leaders lead in these times or they don't. One has cared more about lying, gas lighting and pandering to the lunatic fringe to get re-elected then he ever did about doing something to stop this from day one. Valuable time was wasted and this was allowed to spread unchecked for far too long. This never should have happened here.
Biden's vaccine mandates may be unpopular among the free-dumb crowd, but they are absolutely necessary. Instead of pouring gasoline on the anti-government free-dumb crowd that allowed this nightmare to spread like wild fire, Biden is trying to pour water on it to stop a train wreck out of control fire.

Your free-dumb is important. Go be free. Roll the dice with Covid. Be my guest, but, don't do it in our schools, or public places. Your free-dumb does not entitle you to endanger other. Go have Covid parties amongst your piers, or stay home.

In public you will be required to wear a mask and or be vaccinated. The vast majority of American's support this and will no longer tolerate being help hostage by the minority. The stakes are far too high now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington