Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2021, 06:46 PM

6 posts, read 12,833 times

Advertisements

Is Aberdeen really that awful? Or are people just holding a grudge, had a bad personal experience, or?
I love the homes there!

We've been planning to relocate to Washington for some time, my hubby is from WA but hasn't been back for 40yrs. He just found a job in Chehalis WA, but I DO NOT want to live there, a bit too conservative leaning from what I know, and we've got a 16 and 12 year old who are very sensitive kids. ( I also wonder where the better schools are within an hour from Chehalis? My son currently takes forensic science, art, interior design, and is on the tech crew for drama)

Aberdeen isn't a requirement, so if anyone can give me some direction for areas with good schools, within an hr drive ( that isn't conservative leaning or overrun with drugs) That would be great! I've tried to research on my own, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed because we don't know the area.

Sorry for rambling on!

Last edited by clegersky; 08-31-2021 at 07:26 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 06:53 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
You would not want to commute from Aberdeen to Chehalis. There's plenty of nice places to live around Chehalis and the schools would be better.

The problem with Aberdeen is the lack of jobs. Aberdeen was a timber and mill town. We still cut a lot of trees in Washington, but we ship far too many of them overseas to be milled and turned into useful products. Those jobs are gone.

Many of our timber towns have lost their sawmills that were the mainstay of the region.

The politics in this area are closer to 50:50 than any clear majority. And I think that's a good thing. It means both sides have to be reasonable.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 08-31-2021 at 07:27 PM..

Old 08-31-2021, 07:10 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,987,814 times
Have you looked at Olympia? It's only half an hour north of Chehalis without traffic, though it depends what time your husband would be commuting. High schools seem pretty good from a quick look at Niche. Definitely not conservative --- very outwardly LGBTQ+ accepting, lots of hippies and punks in the downtown. The city's made public transit universally free, if that says anything.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but the median home price in Olympia is $468k. If that's a bit out of reach, looking at Zillow I do see a number of decent-looking listings under $400k in Lacey (bordering Olympia to the east).

Yeah, unfortunately Chehalis isn't the best place if you want a liberal environment --- you don't want to live in Longview (the main town half an hour south), though it is a bit less conservative.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:22 PM

I guess I'd wonder what people mean by conservative or liberal, and what that means as far as quality of life.

Olympia is known for being liberal, but having a rough time right now. There are good parts, don't get me wrong, but there is a pretty severe homeless problem downtown. Not many people want to be downtown. If you want the good parts, they're on the West side, or in Tumwater. And they cost a lot more to live in.

I graduated from Tumwater (a *few* years ago now!) so obviously it's the best.

Centralia and Chehalis are lower income than Olympia - maybe 10% more conservative, more blue (or flannel) collar, but there's no big homeless camps! There's more affordable housing, you can get far more for your money. There's arts and theater and local music... outlet and antique stores, and a very artsy little shop run by one of my husband's relatives. It beats the HECK out of Aberdeen.

Just sayin'!

So tell me.... what is it you're afraid OF in a conservative town that you think will be better in a liberal town? Maybe it's here, maybe it isn't. Let's talk about it. No part of Western WA is usually described as "too conservative" - even the "conservative" parts.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 08-31-2021 at 08:00 PM..

Old 08-31-2021, 07:32 PM

And FWIW, there are good parts of Aberdeen, if you wanted to be in Aberdeen. It would just be silly to live there just to commute to Chehalis. Hwy 12 is two lane undivided highway full of left turns and log trucks. It's not a safe or easy commute.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:39 PM

Hi Diana Holbrook, my worry in a conservative small town is my son being bullied in school for being gay, dying his hair pink, and being on the autism spectrum, having ocd, and savant syndrome. Not only does he need more people accepting of him around him, he also needs extra help due to his mental health differences. I've lived in a small conservative town before, I know how things can get in school for those who are considered " different", I don't want my children targeted like that. Also looking into high schools in low income, conservative towns, they seem to focus on sports, not so much the arts or sciences ( I've been over obsessing looking into every high school within an hour drive and what they have to offer), I've also seen many reviews in the area by students and parents saying " different kids" are bullied and even teachers don't do much about it. I also want to make sure they have activities near by. I'm weighing options because of price range too, 369k is our budget, as he's the only one working right now, health issues have taken me out of the work force ( I did mold remediation and small particulate cleans) so I'm going back to school.

Last edited by clegersky; 08-31-2021 at 08:49 PM..

Old 08-31-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
And FWIW, there are good parts of Aberdeen, if you wanted to be in Aberdeen. It would just be silly to live there just to commute to Chehalis. Hwy 12 is two lane undivided highway full of left turns and log trucks. It's not a safe or easy commute.
Hubby is a trucker, he insists an hour commute is nothing after living in Denver Co. Lol

Old 08-31-2021, 09:00 PM

299 posts, read 224,292 times
Well when you happen to be the hometown of the king of grunge you kinda are expected to live up to that notoriety lol. Honestly I don't really think Aberdeen is that bad, it's like a lot of former mill towns trying to reinvent itself. It has a fun history and has several notable hometown heros besides Nirvana/Kurt.

It's absolutely not a place you want to commute from/to though. Its a bit out of the way and its also the main town in the area meaning if you don't have something there you are driving out a bit.

its hard to think of a liberal leaning city just because Lewis county is pretty deep red as well as most locations surrounding. Unfortunately lots of people got the idea of moving to Olympia versus living in the red bubble so it's a common commute and gets slowed down immensely. And Olympia is known for being a bit sleepy when the legislators are on break.

The other option is the big sister city of Chehalis, Centralia. Much larger population so you have a bit more of a mix of folks. There's more development and I found it's been expanding in a very pleasant way that will probably lead to more white-collar families moving out there for affordability and space. Of course this is all subjective and it would be worth it for your family to explore the options.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:05 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,359,794 times
I grew up in Aberdeen from age 5 to 13 and have fond memories. Going to the Roller Rink, fishing off the docks at Westport, digging razor clams at Oyehut, beachcombing (for glass floats, driftwood, shells, agates, petrified wood, rock crystal, fossils, etc.), picking salmon berries, summer camping (Camp Bishop), camping on the Wynoochie, swimming (Lake Aberdeen), playing baseball.

US 12 between Elma and Chehalis, however, is a two-lane highway with narrow shoulders and few turnouts. Not something I'd want to drive twice five times a week.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:10 PM

I think it would depend more on the personalities in the particular programs he would be in than the political bent of the town. I'd see if you can talk to some individual teachers or administrators at the schools you're thinking about and see what you think.

Centralia and Chehalis are really connected and you could easily look and live in either one. Also don't ignore the smaller surrounding towns.

FWIW NW Conservatives are far more socially libertarian than socially conservative... If social conservatism is actually still even a thing. I don't know any. I don't think schools around here would be better or worse based on politics and I think I'd rather deal with a small school than a bigger one about any bullying. Meanness isn't on one political side or the other. It really isn't.

$369K used to buy more around here than it does now. But you can still find places for that budget in the wider area... less so in Olympia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington