Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 06:07 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times

Advertisements

I bounced back and forth with long stays between California and Germany when I was growing up.
Our town Nuremberg had a red light zone/district.
I’m cool with that but not so much in having a cat house or a drug dealer as a neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 07:26 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,359,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Yeah, it was all downhill after they shutdown the brothels. Everything else was post-script.

The same new bridge (then) that wiped out most of the red light district also wiped out my mother's portrait studio (about a half-block from Billy's). Instead of an Aberdeen (Weatherwax) Bobcat, I ended up becoming a Lincoln Lynx.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:58 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clegersky View Post
Is Aberdeen really that awful? Or are people just holding a grudge, had a bad personal experience, or?
I love the homes there!

We've been planning to relocate to Washington for some time, my hubby is from WA but hasn't been back for 40yrs. He just found a job in Chehalis WA, but I DO NOT want to live there, a bit too conservative leaning from what I know, and we've got a 16 and 12 year old who are very sensitive kids. ( I also wonder where the better schools are within an hour from Chehalis? My son currently takes forensic science, art, interior design, and is on the tech crew for drama)

Aberdeen isn't a requirement, so if anyone can give me some direction for areas with good schools, within an hr drive ( that isn't conservative leaning or overrun with drugs) That would be great! I've tried to research on my own, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed because we don't know the area.

Sorry for rambling on!

If you are going to live an hour away I would look in the Olympia/South Pierce County area (like many have mentioned) or just go down to the northern suburbs on Vancouver. Vancouver would be a pretty easy commute taking I-5 all the way north and would be in an area with better schools, more opportunity and overall more things to do.

Aberdeen is always seemed dark and depressing. Not alot of opportunity in the coastal cities unless you are in fishing, forestry, or hospitality. Traveling north from Vancouver in the morning would be pretty easy.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
If you are going to live an hour away I would look in the Olympia/South Pierce County area (like many have mentioned) or just go down to the northern suburbs on Vancouver. Vancouver would be a pretty easy commute taking I-5 all the way north and would be in an area with better schools, more opportunity and overall more things to do.

Aberdeen is always seemed dark and depressing. Not alot of opportunity in the coastal cities unless you are in fishing, forestry, or hospitality. Traveling north from Vancouver in the morning would be pretty easy.
A big topic on this site is how the WA coast is so less developed than the OR coast. The reasons are somewhat clear. The OR coast is much more scenic, but much of this is due to lack of buildable areas on the WA coast due to Native American land. There are many scenic WA coast areas but are not available. No judgement here, it is what it is.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
A big topic on this site is how the WA coast is so less developed than the OR coast. The reasons are somewhat clear. The OR coast is much more scenic, but much of this is due to lack of buildable areas on the WA coast due to Native American land. There are many scenic WA coast areas but are not available. No judgement here, it is what it is.
Oh yeah definitely not passing judgement! More of a general observation. The Oregon Coast has alot of tourism to lift up the area as well. Alot of the same issues in Aberdeen exist in Astoria, but Astoria has the history and tourism to help keep it a bit more clean.

OP, I think most of us would say stay away from Aberdeen unless you have some family or work ties there. It's one of the few places in the state that has seen a decline in population over the past few decades for a reason.

The greater Olympia area is getting expensive so I don't know if that will be an issue. If you can afford it, it's a beautiful area and you would also be closes to Tacoma which is a great city.

If housing costs is a deal breaker and a commuting is fine, look at Ridgefield, WA or Salmon Creek area of Vancouver. Vancouver is pretty progressive and a quickly growing city. A good amount to do and see in the city (It's pretty historic in it's own right) and also would be close to Portland if you want to take your family into the city.

Can't go wrong with either area!

Old 09-02-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Portland to Seaside = ~75 miles (1.5 hrs or 3 hrs RT).

Seattle to Ocean Shores = ~130 miles (2.5-3.5 hrs or 5-7 hrs RT).

Old 09-03-2021, 08:23 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
I know I have posted this before, but the bottom line is the Northwest coast is overdue for a major subduction quake. They occur every 300 to 500 years and are among the strongest in history. That last one was 1700. Doesn’t mean it will happen tomorrow but the risk is indeed heightened.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:01 AM

60 posts, read 35,137 times
Default Aberdeen to Long View is a long commute, and the city of Aberdeen is depressed and constantly grey

I would not recommend living in Aberdeen if your husband is commuting to Long View. That is a very long commute! Also, the weather in Aberdeen in the winter is dark and very wet! Sunset in the winter is around 4:20 PM, the roads are a bit hilly, and there is traffic in the Olympia area. I would be miserable doing that drive every day- and I like to drive! Also, at least in Washington State, your neighbor's political beliefs are going to be hit and miss if you don't live in Seattle. Even in a 'liberal' city, you can be surrounded by Trump supporters in your own neck of the woods, but generally, most cities in the Puget Sound area are going to be liberal. There is no guarantee that you will only have like-minded neighbors in your area- especially in a small town such as Aberdeen. Like others here, I also would recommend Olympia or Vancouver due to the commuting issues and if you're wanting to move into a liberal area.

Just my (also mainly liberal) take,

Last edited by gregory77; 09-06-2021 at 03:09 AM..

Old 09-06-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory77 View Post
I would not recommend living in Aberdeen if your husband is commuting to Long View. That is a very long commute! Also, the weather in Aberdeen in the winter is dark and very wet! Sunset in the winter is around 4:20 PM, the roads are a bit hilly, and there is traffic in the Olympia area. I would be miserable doing that drive every day- and I like to drive! Also, at least in Washington State, your neighbor's political beliefs are going to be hit and miss if you don't live in Seattle. Even in a 'liberal' city, you can be surrounded by Trump supporters in your own neck of the woods, but generally, most cities in the Puget Sound area are going to be liberal. There is no guarantee that you will only have like-minded neighbors in your area- especially in a small town such as Aberdeen. Like others here, I also would recommend Olympia or Vancouver due to the commuting issues and if you're wanting to move into a liberal area.

Just my (also mainly liberal) take,
The commute would be to Chehalis, which is still a hard commute. They are looking at Aberdeen because of the housing values there. The question is whether the negatives outweigh the positives, which is for them to decide.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The commute would be to Chehalis, which is still a hard commute. They are looking at Aberdeen because of the housing values there. The question is whether the negatives outweigh the positives, which is for them to decide.

OP, didn't provide a budget though so it's hard to gauge the range. With that said, if they can go up to 450-500K than there is some decent inventory in both Vancouver and Olympia. If they are trying to stay under 400K then best bang for the buck would be Aberdeen. I just get the feeling it might cause me headaches in the longterm. Everyone is different though. If they are into being outdoors lots of opportunities for hiking, camping and exploring the Washington/Oregon coasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington